FF7 remake on PS4

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
AlOnZo

Re: FF7 remake on PS4

Post by AlOnZo »

Anyone get round to playing this yet?

I only started the original last summer when I was off work with a broken ankle, and only finished it today whilst on lockdown. :lol: Yes, I am an FF newbie.

Got the remake on release the other week and finished up a couple of days ago. I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable and the combat system was refreshing to play for the style of game. My only gripe was that it was too linear but I'll let it slide as the fleshed out story was good and the cinematic scenes were top notch.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I started playing it yesterday. Here's what I think so far...

Pros
I'm liking how they've fleshed out the story and characters, particularly with Jesse, Biggs and Wedge.
I'm loving Barret's voice acting and dialogue, although I was hoping to hear him spout the F word.
The music disks you can collect sound hilarious and awesome.

Cons
I'm not too crazy about the combat system. They've really taken away the classic JRPG feel.
The animation in battle is too fast, I can't see what the hell the characters are doing most of the time, and I can't really get a good look at the updated enemies like I would if it were turn based combat. And its very easy to lose my bearing after a fight. The camera goes back behind Cloud and I'm like, which way was I going?
Something just seems off about the enivronment designs. Maybe its because I recently played an Assassin's Creed game where you can literally climb over any obstacle to get where you want to go, but exploring the city and slums in this game is kind of annoying, I have to backtrack because there's a fence or chair in my way. They've turned the slums into a fricking labyrinth.
Last edited by sticky-runes on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Ugh... the real time combat really doesn't work in a Final Fantasy game. You're controlling a team of characters, the best way to do that is with turn based battles. I get that they want to take us into the action more, but the original game was already fast paced enough.

And materia has become kind of redundant in this game, because you get sh1t loads of abilities and upgrades to use on weapons, so I hardly ever use any spells. You don't really need to us MP+ and HP+ materia, because your weapon upgrades allow you to increase your health and magic any way.

Summons are virtually useless, you can only use them in SOME boss battles, and only when you've whittled down the boss' HP to the point its almost dead. And the summon materias are already maxed out. They could have allowed us to unlock the creature's different abilities as we level up.

You can't use All materia to cast a spell on multiple targets, so there's not a lot of strategy going on.

This updated combat system probably would have worked better for a FF8 remake.