Breath of fire 6 announced

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Breath of fire 6 announced

Post by patapi »

So, it's fine as long as the stories are connected? Even if the genre changes completely?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

After the first shock, I'm a bit more settled now. I wonder how this will turn out, I already heard about monthly fees which would be a big turn off.

They're already showing us that this game can't be good because they don't use roman numbers anymore to count their games (Dragon Quarter was released in Japan as V).
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

patapi wrote:So, it's fine as long as the stories are connected? Even if the genre changes completely?
Eh?
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

BoF6 confirmed of Android Ios etc

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2014/1852.html

fark this gay earth
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I was just playing Breath of Fire 3 and I find it kind of boring actually. THere is something frustrating about it. I guess it is a side-effect of being used to Suikoden's very well paced battles and scenario. I'd say BoF 3 is full of great ideas (such as fishing, camping, etc) but it is a bit slow in comparison to Suikoden.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I had no problem with BoF 3's battle pace, although the plot is a whole other story. It feels like it goes nowhere and then bam, you're an adult.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I found BOF3 quite refreshing. You're not trying to save the world or anything, you're just going on a personal mission to find out what happened to the dragons. It was cute.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

sticky-runes wrote:I found BOF3 quite refreshing. You're not trying to save the world or anything, you're just going on a personal mission to find out what happened to the dragons. It was cute.
Oh yes this is true actually, refreshing is the good word. There is something quiet about that game that I enjoy. And also: I just LOVE the jazz music! This is totally my kind of music.

I think all in all what drove me away from the game is its slow pace and a feeling that the difficulty is not properly balanced: some parts seemed ridiculously easy and others absurdly complicated (how the f... are you supposed to put back the electricity in the lighthouse?)w
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The music is disgustingly catchy throughout BOF3.

The part I found frustrating to the point I nearly started to cry was in Momo's tower where you're supposed to press switches in a particular order, I can't remember how it works out, but if you get it wrong, you fall down to the previous floor and have to make your way back up. And that's when the slow paced battles become a problem - fine when you're moving forward, but any backtracking is a pain in the ass.

And that desert... :x

But I thought it was interesting that combat actually takes place on the map instead of switching to a new screen. It meant you couldn't bump into a bunch of gigantic monsters while walking down a slim corridor.
suiken

Post by suiken »

IV have bland characters? I disagree. If you really play the game, there are some interesting characters. Yuna is did his best impression of antagonizing your character but never really kicked his ass.

Here are some scenes that never made the US release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTxovNUKjJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27zKq7BIv-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZVZXLC7xeQ

1-3 have connections to each other. 2 is set 500 years after 1 and 3 took place many,many years after 2. IV and Dragon Quarter are stand-alone titles and not related to the previous ones.

But man, as a BoF fan, 6 really punched me in the gut.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

The ursula one is a classic :D
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Without Fou-Lu's scenario, I probably wouldn't have given IV a chance. Back then, being able to play as an intentionally-overpowered character was just plain awesome. That, and the great soundtrack turned it into one of my favorite PS1-era JRPGs.

V I won't even bother playing without some CodeBreaking-way to keep the D-counter from going to 100%. The game seemed interesting enough, but I was too used to using Ryu's various dragon forms in the fourth game to do anything differently in the fifth.

III was decidedly meh. Better plot than most games from its time, but the unbalanced and usually unexplained puzzles turned me off. And the desert was focking ridiculous, considering all the nonsense you'd already gone through up to that point. I shouldn't need a step-by-step guide or countless failed attempts to get to the final dungeon.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

V I won't even bother playing without some CodeBreaking-way to keep the D-counter from going to 100%. The game seemed interesting enough, but I was too used to using Ryu's various dragon forms in the fourth game to do anything differently in the fifth.
Sorry, but then you are just palying it wrongly. You cna get through all the battles with one swift dragin attack, so you'll never reach the 100%. Even normal battles require a lot of strategy later on, especially if you want to get as much EXP as possible.

Really, V's dragon is the most overpowered in the whole series
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I'm sure you're right. However, I was probably in my teens at the time and thought being able to change forms like that was just too damn awesome to not do it all the time.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Then you should give it a try now again ;) I think i was at the perfect age for the game being 19 or so when I first palyyed it. A friend of mine playe dit when it cam eout so he was 14 or so) and hated it, said it was too difficult etc.

But really, all you have to do is see a speedrun of the game and you see how ridicolous it is at points. :D