Final Fantasy XIII

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
RangerDeon

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by RangerDeon »

oh yes. I do love FFTactics. I got the remake and they had Balthier....so...we know that's a "win".

I would advise renting first. I should start doing that too so I won't make irrational purchases. Well, usually I research before I buy but I failed to do that with one particular game and I kinda/sorta regret it.

If you lived near I'd be all "You can use mine!" Like I did with a friend of mine and Heavy Rain. He wasn't a fan. Luckily he didn't buy it. :D

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Oppenheimer wrote:Yes Final Fantasy Tactics was extremely awesome. The remake on the PSP with the re-translation especially. It's a pity the Gameboy spin offs are so dreadful.
The storylines for the Gameboy spin-offs are complete crap but they are fun to play, imo. Only issue I had with them was that instead of any character being able to choose any job, they were limited by their species. That made some species pretty useless (like those pig things in Grimoire of the Rift, ugh).

Balthier is one of the best characters in the PSP remake. Honestly, that's probably the best thing to come out of XII.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

FFTA2's Seeqs? I thought their Ranger job was rather broken, due to their exclusive item reversal skill, which pretty much makes the rest of their limited job options irrelevant.

Now if only we get a traditional job system in a console Ivalice title.
daoster

Post by daoster »

So 10 hours into the game, here are my thoughts so far:

- Don't know how I feel about the story yet, as 10 hours in, I feel as if barely anything has happened, as opposed to 10 hours in FFXII and FFX.
- The battle system is so fun....it's fast and frantic, and you can change "jobs" on the fly like like X-2 (too bad appearances don't change like the X-2 characters!). Of course, you still can't control two of your 3 member party, but from what I've seen so far, the AI is intelligent and will aid you more than hinder you.
- The growth system is kinda like FFX's, only not...you move along something similar to a sphere grid, but it's a separate grid for each role (read: job). So you can develop your "warrior" role without touching your "white mage" role, but it'll probably behoove you to level them evenly at the start.
- Maybe it's still early on, but it doesn't seem like the characters will all be the same...I have two characters with the same roles (that of the black mage-ish job), but they learn different spells and have different stat bonuses...some spells intersect, and eventually they may all learn the same thing, but right now, that's not the case.
- Dungeons are linear. People might say FFX's dungeons were linear, but not like this.
- Definitely a dungeon crawler though, as 10 hours in, I haven't encountered a town or many NPCs.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I'm a town whore...so I'm not liking the non towns.
This game is forcing me to *gasps* actually beat it and not procrastinate.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Its ridicously linear. Vanille was like a dagger to the heart, same with Hope. Glad he manned up later in the game. Some bosses generally don't give you good odds when fighting them (I'm looking at you, Cid Raines!).

The story is typical Final Fantasy, end of the world, zomg, gasp. Lightning feels like a mix of Squall, Cloud and Paine. Her main focus being a mean bitch for like chapter 1-7 or something.
Last edited by Hirathien on Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non Serviam

Post by Non Serviam »

I will be playing this...after Mass Effect 2 which is next on my list.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I actualy didn't have really too much difficulty defeating Cid Raines, I did max out all of my Cyn up until that point though so that might be why. I noticed most people are comparing and complaining about this game oppose to its predecessors but I actually have "in-game" questions. I'm not confused on the weapon upgrading but more or less could use a little guidance on being effecient when upgrading. I really don't want to sell anything incase its an item I'll need later on. I'm not sure what to sell what to dismantle or when to do it. I'm currently in chapter 11 and not to spoil anything for anyone my best advice is to do as little upgrading and selling things until you reach this point. I'll just give one example why and again not spoiling, I think its the accessory Tusgeten Bangle which puts your HP up about 100 (not sure on the number but anyway) you'll find items that are better at Lv.1 later on that are better than the Tusgeten Bangle when its at say Lv.6 like mine. I'm also a little confused, and the guide doesn't offer much info on this either, on "when" am I strong enough or leveled enough to move on with the story. I love the game so far and I find everything about it quite awesome but there are some mechanical things that aren't cut quite so clear.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Love it how instead you got normal stuff like, Attack, etc etc. The choice always starts at Auto-Battle. Really, is that what games have come to today, auto-battle? They decide what's best for the situation, faster than you ever could. Sure, you can select abilities and do it yourself, but then again, the CPU is faster than you, so why bother?

Sure, sometimes it uses stuff in vain, and not doing things that are clearly better, but if you are there and fiddling about, you'll die because you were too slow. Madness.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Hirathien wrote:Love it how instead you got normal stuff like, Attack, etc etc. The choice always starts at Auto-Battle. Really, is that what games have come to today, auto-battle? They decide what's best for the situation, faster than you ever could. Sure, you can select abilities and do it yourself, but then again, the CPU is faster than you, so why bother?
Considering how Suikoden was one of the fore runners for adding "Auto Battle", I don't gripe much about it. What I hate is how Auto Battle constantly chooses wrong attacks when you're a Ravager.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I don't mind Auto-battle being there, but i just don't think it should be top, and that you almost die from not using that.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I don't use auto battle unless I'm being lazy and doing something while playing the game (i.e. homework, texting, eating, santa clause...)

As for the "wrong moves when you're a ravenger"
I believe that once you scan a fellow they'll do the "right" moves (if that's what you meant)

When you scan your enemy your people will switch to that spell that the monster is weak against if they have it.

-Lorelai Gilmore
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

RangerDeon wrote:As for the "wrong moves when you're a ravenger"
I believe that once you scan a fellow they'll do the "right" moves (if that's what you meant)

When you scan your enemy your people will switch to that spell that the monster is weak against if they have it.
Problem is with the use of Ravagers and Commandos on staggered & launched enemies. I want to rush the killing of enemies, not have the game default to using Aero at the start and end of every auto attack in order to prioritize keeping the enemy in the air. I want to kill it before it breaks stagger, not juggle it (this held especially true when I was trying to kill all sorts of Behemoths before they would morph).
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Juggling them around in the air is an excellent strategy then.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Not really, especially when dealing with King Behemoths who regenerate their health completely if they manage to transform (meaning you failed to kill them while staggered and launched).