Final Fantasy VII Gameshark weirdness

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Final Fantasy VII Gameshark weirdness

Post by wataru14 »

So I've been playing FF7 original again and I think I screwed something up using Gameshark. Looking for some help.

When you get Cloud back in Disc 2, the Gold Saucer reopens for business and the Battle Square prizes change. The Wonder Square also adds EXP Plus and Gil Plus Materia to the shopping list for your GP. Only they don't appear in my game. The lines in the shop are simply not there. My guess is I somehow tripped a flag in the code that makes the game think I already bought the items (they are both 1 time only buys). I was using a Max GP code earlier and I think that might have done it. These are the Gold Saucer codes I've been using:

#10000 GP in Gold Saucer
8009D3D2 2710
8009D3D4 2710

#Infinite BP In Battle Square
8009D3D8 FDE8

#Infinite Laser In Speed Square
800D1C5C 0080

#Score Modifier in Speed Square
D00696AE F7FF
800D16D8 2328

#G-Bike Score Modifier in Wonder Square
800BDFB4 2742

#Unlimited Stamina in Chocobo Square
800B7634 270F

All of them except Speed Square score and GP max are one line, so I don't see them affecting anything other than what they are supposed to. The first line of the Speed Square code is supposed to turn the score on when you hit R2 (like a joker command). It's the two lines in the GP code that are suspicious to me. I think 1 is supposed to max your GP and the other is to set it so it never decreases, but something is telling me that's what's causing the trouble.

Anyone skilled in code have any insight?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Final Fantasy VII Gameshark weirdness

Post by Pyriel »

Unless you entered them incorrectly, none of those codes look wildly wrong or likely to cause problems. It's possible some of them are meant to be active only at certain times, but I'd expect to see notes in red font or something in that case.

Really, I'd have to know where the quest/event flags are for the materia to make a guess, and that's not information that's easily googled. You might have better luck elsewhere. If LazyBastard is still active at GameHacking.org he was pretty deep into reverse-engineering FF7, and might know where to find the information, if nothing else. You could also try romhacking.net, but the question wouldn't be quite so on-topic for them. It's highly likely people there have mapped out every byte of the save file, though.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

All of the Gold saucer Codes are only meant to be used inside the location. The site where I copied them from says it.

If note of the codes look weird (and if anyone would know, you would), then the only thing I can think of is maxing out your GP trips a flag elsewhere? 10,000 is the cap.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

OK, that kind of implies that the Saucer is using a shared, temporary area for some of its values. The GP is saved, correct? I'm guessing the BP is as well, though I don't know what it is offhand. The ones below that definitely look like they could be transient data in reused temporary areas, so if you exited the Sphere with them on at some point, that could cause issues. It's just a guess, but if you have a fallback save or something, that might be worth looking at.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

GP is saved, BP is not. It resets to 0 if you leave the room where you earn/spend them. What I usually do is enter the room where you use the codes, create a save state, turn the codes on, do what I need with them, overwrite my save state, and then reset to clear the codes. When I reset I reload my state with the codes off.

I might have forgotten to turn them off when leaving the Saucer once or twice. Don't remember. Oh well. I Sharked the two items into my inventory and then beat the game normally. I'll have to play around next time I start a new game in the future.