Prohibited Names List

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in Suikoden Tierkreis; or wish for more clarity with the gameplay systems.
srd_27

Prohibited Names List

Post by srd_27 »

My most important contribution to this community, the list of prohibited names on Tierkreis (still incomplete for sure).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

For those who are unaware, Tierkreis have a blacklist feature for the MC's name, since this game has an online mode. It'll trigger if parts of your name contain any of these prohibited words, which made some regular names or words being blacklisted as well.

I compiled this after looking at old Tierkreis forum posts and also comparing it with a banned name list from another game

- Somehow they prohibit "simon", "rack", & "beaver"

- Swear words from European languages are also on the list, so there's probably plenty more that hasn't been found, and a lot of normal names/words can end up being banned for having these non-english words.
- So far, I've seen Finnish, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Dutch and Norwegian words.

- The word "ho" seems to be the main culprit in getting regular words being banned. (e.g. Nacho, Holy, Thomas, etc)

- Example of possible banned names (most are due to European swear words): Culgan, Jacob, Truth, Perseus, Violet

- Even though the list seems comprehensive, they did miss few obvious ones:
-- P*n*s is allowed, somehow
-- The homophobic f-slur requires double g to be banned, but you can still use single g

- Recommend anyone here not to use these words on any chat :)
Last edited by srd_27 on Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sticky-runes

Re: Prohibited Names List

Post by sticky-runes »

I tried to name my castle "Titaness" as in a female mythical giant, but the game wouldn't let me, because it contains the word "Tit". A tit is also a type of small bird, but the Konami people obviously have dirty minds because they think the only possible use for the word Tit is as a rude slang word for a mammary gland.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

It's funny that the Tierkreis list is partially more prohibitive than the one used in Pokémon, but sometimes also less (you can name your character bastard, but not Thomas!?)
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki ... eration_V)

DId you check this on the EU or US release? I wonder whether there are differences. Also would be interested if the Japanese and Korean releases have specific prohibited words.
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

sticky-runes wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:05 pm I tried to name my castle "Titaness" as in a female mythical giant, but the game wouldn't let me, because it contains the word "Tit". A tit is also a type of small bird, but the Konami people obviously have dirty minds because they think the only possible use for the word Tit is as a rude slang word for a mammary gland.
Haha, think I saw your old forum post on Gamefaqs about that Titaness. Heck, they banned "rack" and "beaver" even though most people wouldn't associate those words with any lewd slangs.

Antimatzist wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:27 am It's funny that the Tierkreis list is partially more prohibitive than the one used in Pokémon, but sometimes also less (you can name your character bastard, but not Thomas!?)
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki ... eration_V)

DId you check this on the EU or US release? I wonder whether there are differences. Also would be interested if the Japanese and Korean releases have specific prohibited words.
You can't use "bastard" because "tard" is on Tierkreis banlist.

I haven't checked EU release. Although the NA release also have European languages (including Finnish, which I don't think there's any localisation for it), so I'm guessing EU will have same list.
Also haven't checked all European languages, so there's probably plenty more to be found :D

Also thanks for that list, guess I have even more non-english word to try out lol
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Haha, think I saw your old forum post on Gamefaqs about that Titaness. Heck, they banned "rack" and "beaver" even though most people wouldn't associate those words with any lewd slangs.
Gamefaqs... Damn that's going back a long time... Horrible site.
Funny that one of the main Suikoden games has an entire race of Beaver people.
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

More prohibited names, try to guess why they're banned: (look up the names list for answers)
- Pikachu, Fiona, Updog, Nutella (not because of nut)

A bit more findings:
- They banned the word "ecstacy", which is a misspelling of ecstasy.
- They also banned the word "drugs" but not "drug". They also banned some drug names but missed couple other obvious ones.
- They banned the racial slurs "jap" & "paki", which ironically will ban the actual country names Japan & Pakistan as well
- "Bite" & "Pine" are regular english words, but got banned because they're swear words of another European language.
- For anyone watches Twitch streams, the "LUL" emote is on the banlist as well