[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tierkreis

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in Suikoden Tierkreis; or wish for more clarity with the gameplay systems.
jonathan_priest

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tierkreis

Post by jonathan_priest »

See, I've already played this game before. Yeah, it was called Final Fantasy Tactics. You know, where the main character Ramza tried to find the 12 False Chronicles...sorry, Zodiac Stones, that gave great powers to their bearers. However, infusing said chronicle...duh...Zodiac Stone, made a person turn into a grotesque monster that caused said person to die when defeated. Course, the main hero was betrayed by his close friend Delita (read: Dirk) who ultimately died. Oh yeah, and the main villain of the game? Wasn't the main villain at all, only a person wishing to summon an all powerful being/goddess/harbringer of destruction that was vaguly referenced through the game and who's appearance was underwhelmingly disappointing.

However, remove all the political war story, and then you've got Tierkreis.

Seriously, as a stand along game, it wasn't bad. As a Suikoden game, it fails in epic suckage. No True Runes? Come on, imo that's the second most important aspect of Suikoden behind the 108 SoD, and what really sets the series apart from other games. However, by introducing the "Infinity" in this game, Konami has an open door now to go the Final Fantasy route where every game is disjointed from the previous and no continuity exists between games.

I always thought Suiko IV, being set 150 years in the past was Konami's attempt to divorce the series from Murayama's original direction. How wrong I was. This game was Konami's true seperation from the past. I can only hope Konami will continue Suikoden VI on the world we've all come to know and love, and let the Teirkreis series continue as a FF rip off, if that's what they really want.

As I said, for the game, it was fairly fun. As a Suikoden game, it just doesn't fit into the series.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Hater??? Final Fantasy Tactics is a classic and some of roots of that game did appear in Suikoden Tierkreis but I'd hardly call that a bad direction for the series. I played FFT atleast 20x and those stones didnt give anybody you could use any powers it just transformed them. If anything Tierkreis in a whole was just the opposite. The characters is Tierkreis were chosen from birth that eventually they would be star bearers. In FFT the villains just had to collect the stones and plead their soul to Lucavai and that was that. They named the game Suikoden Tierkreis so that it would seperate it self from the rest of the series, not to confuse the fans and that the game was going in the wrong/different direction. Well, I thought Tierkreis was a fantastic start to get the series on another console. Getting the series with Nintendo was obviously a business move, but if they were to move the series over there it would end in the dedicated fans who have been following the game would mostly be lost because since the beginning the series has been a PS game only. So the only thing they could do to appease themselves and their fans was to start an off branch of the game holding a lot of the same roots on to a new counsel. I completed the game 3 times with minor complaints, all in all a great game.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

Im making this short and sweet.

I agree with Korn. For one, when i heard the main character talk I thought my brain was fried and not able to catch up with normal talking, and also the random battles. One other complaint but just my opinion really wish they had a true rune.....thats really why I get so excited about every suikoden game is to find out what the next true rune will be. But other than that VERY GOOD GAME .
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I really didn't think the hero's voice was that bad. I mean it could have used some work and maybe just used somebody else, but it was as unbearable as everybody makes it sound. It was actually kind of funny especialy when he was being sarcastic or getting mad. "Hey grandma! ARE YOU HARD OF HEARING?!" or "YOUR GOING DOWN OLD MAN!" I thought he was more comical than anything. I agree I was a little disapointed also with the fact there were no true runes, but once I learned and accepted that the game was a spinoff of the other Suikodens but with no real relation I learned to welcome the change of play. Now on my 4th play through and I still say its a great game.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I haven't completed this game yet so I cant review but let me go on the record BY saying...I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME

this is coming from someone who owns every suikoden game except the gaidens and card stories
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Finished my second run through the game, here's my final thoughts. I'll edit the message later with the longer review.

Graphics: 6/10
I'm sorry, but the only redeeming part of the game's looks are the 2D background art, the weapon models, and unite attacks. The character models & artwork and enemy models aren't very interesting to me. Most spells are of lesser quality to games as old as the first Suikoden.

Gameplay: 6/10
Again, the game seems very rushed and wants you to rush along with it. For a franchise that's on its sixth classic RPG entry, a lot of the rookie (read: PSOne level) mistakes it makes are too hard to ignore. Being on a portable doesn't mean you have to skimp out on good and stable game design.
Examples: Initial run speed (which hasn't been an issue since Suikoden), Mark of the Stars retention through story events, no sorting options for stars of destiny, equipment change previews not working when in the "fitting room", unstable resetting of the cursor when trading, trading being equivalent to grinding, the point of no return being very long with no way to exit it, disappointing amount of save slots, etc.

While they're minor interface bugs for someone who's learning the ropes of the game, they get exceedingly annoying on a second playthrough when you already know what's going on and know what to do. Menu interfaces are meant to keep a certain organic flow, which was once the Achilles Heel of early JRPGs. I just thought we were past all of that.

Outside of menus and nonsensical stuff, the battles are the closest they could get to Suikoden on the DS as possible, which is very good. The four party member limit is somewhat ironic considering the largest fighting cast in the entire franchise, but seeing as how minor slowdowns appear often when going straight for "Auto", it's safe to say it was a wise decision.

Story: 7/10
I was pleasantly surprised by the first ten hours or so, then got very bored. The Magedom of Janam and the drama that unfolded with it made for some great entertainment, but once its arc was completed everything else simply became "go there, defeat the baddies/save the people, grab their Chronicle". The game doesn't even spice things up with a couple of betrayals or surprise/large scale attacks that you actually lose. Once you liberate a region, you've essentially cleansed it from ever being a target again.

The one saving grace is how this game's miscellaneous story points do generate a sense of mystery around some characters and the Million Worlds' functions. It's a pity Zenoa isn't more talkative, since she could have added a heavy amount of mystical appeal to both the Tierkreis world and the Million Worlds. That being said, as a fan of Suikoden's original established world, if a sequel to Tierkreis takes place in the same world as the first game, I'll be supremely disappointed.

Music: 9/10
Clearly the best works in the franchise I've heard in a very long time. Miura's work is great, but it's the fusion of each and every single other composer than also helps make the game seem like it's being invaded by completely different worlds. You can hear the influences of Mega Man & Breath of Fire in some sequences (Yoshino Aoki) and some of the non-Sakimoto music from FFT and the Ogre series (Masaharu Iwata). Each of different worlds' characters and even the visiting Tenkai Stars all have their musical flavor.

Sound effects: 8/10
Standard DS fare. It doesn't sound much like the sound effects from any other games in particular, but that's due to the vastly different synth.

Voice acting: 7/10
Starts out decent and ends just shy of good. The hero isn't the problem in the game, since he's dead on. It's characters like Liu and Macoute that kill the immersion. Since most of the better voice acting comes from the later characters, the overall voice quality goes up as the game progresses.

Overall: 7/10
The game is a good DS JRPG, but that isn't TOO much of a compliment. Since most JRPGs on the DS are just barely starting to outclass their console cousins from the PSOne era, I'm rather lenient on that level.
However, as a Suikoden game it doesn't pass my sniff test. It manages to have as many gameplay flaws and less flexibility than its original forefather, which makes me wonder if they scrapped the entire Suikoden team short of Miura for this game. Six classic JRPGs into a franchise, you're not supposed to make so many mistakes unless they're intentional limitations that carry over from remaking an older game.
Formerly known as: Gothann
BabaCiu

Post by BabaCiu »

My Opinion:
Gameplay: 9/10
It's VeryGood. Because, it has the multiple system weapon, which i personally liked, and the Coop Attacks, that was very good to use in battle, unlike any other Co-op attacks,The mark of the Stars pretty good, eveeen though some chracters have crappy magics. The bad one here is Four-Person Party.

Graphics: 7/10
The graphics is a little bit rough, the Chibi chracter 3D image is not that good, some Mark of The Stars magic scene, is crappy. I can understand it because it was in NDS, not in PSP

Story: 8/10
I love the story, It makes me feel.....relieved, because "We never know the future until we try IT!" , it's my favourite quote from the Hero

Music: 7/10
I just love the opening music, that's all, the other is standard.

Interface: 5/10
I hate it! The list is VERY LOOONG!, The map system is good, but the dungeon is CRAP! Is Konami on purpose not to Put an Escape Talisman on ST? If that so it was Crap!

VA: 7/10
Sometimes bad, sometimes good, the Hero speaks too fast, some voices like Diadora, is very good, but some like Moana, is very Bad

Overall: 7/10
godsmoney

Post by godsmoney »

4 months playing this game in both the japanese and american versions, here are my thoughts:

- Tierkreis does bring some of the elements of suikoden but does it deserve to have the word "Suikoden" in its title ? keep on reading.

- The overall story in not that deep compared to other suikoden titles, it is never the less a good one, and the way it unfolds with each chapter keeps you attached, it has a cliche' of knowing the whole story from the beginning though (much like V where after the first chapter it becomes obvious what you are going to do the rest of the game). An alliance you make today will break up once the truth is unveiled, yet the faction that was allied with ends up being destroyed.

- characters are the most fascinating and interesting I've seen since II, their backgrounds are intriguing, some even mysterious yet you get to unravel their hidden agenda as the story goes on. I have also took a look at the art book where the prototypes of character designs are there you get to see how some characters are redrawn until the appearance fit the personalities. looking at the changes the artist made each step and thinking : exactly, this would fit his personality perfectly.

- for those unsatisfied with the english VA I feel you, it is truly incomparable to the original japanese VA which is clear and engaging. If you use methods pf playing downloaded games on your DS I highly recommend going for the UNDUB version of Tierkreis, you will get a totally better experience.

- game play however, not so good, your characters won't develop from their original states (which is the same problem for all suikoden titles) attacks will do more damage and spells will get bigger but that's pretty much it. some unit attacks add to the fun but nothing more. you won't be able to do something in the last battle that you couldn't do in the first battle (except maybe whoop the final boss but that's not the point) on the positive side battle controls are fairly simple so even those new to the series can get things going.

- a lot of people have noticed this, the games score is well done and brilliant. music before major battles really gets you pumped for what's to come.

So does tierkreis deserve the word "Suikoden" in its title, I really don't know, at times yes and at times no, but is it worth your time? definitely yes as you wait for the next suikoden title

side note: My FIRST post :mrgreen:
TrueVirtue

Post by TrueVirtue »

I liked the game for the most part, so listing the pros would take to long. So here are the cons:

-voices delayed dureing a few conversations
-lack of war type battles
-4 member party despite having 6 slots
-Huh? question often pronounced as Huh. statement (as in saying oh, or interesting)
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

Gameplay 0/10: This isn't to say there isn't a lot to do in the game, but to call what entails as gameplay would be like calling the activites at Auschwitz 'gameplay'.

Graphics 0/10: Everyone and everything is forgettable. They should have at least tried to move back to sprites for making it on a handheld device. They failed.

Story 0/10: WOW A RELIGOUS ORGANIZATION IS FAKE AND WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD I'M SHOCKED THIS IS MY SHOCKED FACE. :I

Music 0/10: Completely forgettable.

Voice Acting 0/10: Do it right or don't do at all. If you insist on doing it bad, you put in an option to disable voices. If you don't do that, screw you.

Combat 0/10: Wow 4 player battles just like my favorite game Suikoden IV. The vast majority of characters are useless when it counts because they don't get nifty uber-damaging skills like main story characters. Nearly every battle has been reduced to mindlessly attacking the endless random encounters. Oh, and how is war handled? It's a series of normal battles. How thrilling. And you know what I love? Battles that are impossible to win. At every single plot point.

This is the gaming equivilant of the Holocaust, 9/11, the Rwandan genocide and the attempted extermination of the Palestenian people through starvation and murder all rolled together.
Red Exodus

Post by Red Exodus »

Story :
Can you say dull?

I honestly would like to go in detail with how boring the
story is, but I honestly can't even bring myself to do it
simply BECAUSE it's so boring. Not to mention terribly
cliched and written. As short as this particular section's
review is, it's honestly a serious statement about how
terrible the game's story truly is.

Characters : 2/10
I repeat what I said earlier, can you say dull?

So our main character is a whiny overly hyperactive
character with nothing to offer you except for maybe
a headache and a need to play the game with no sound
(and believe me, you wouldn't be missing much if you
did).

The character designs, decided to take a page from Suikoden
4 in terms of dull, lack of detail and color. There are *some*
designs that are good, but much like 4, they are very few and
far between the ton of suck.

Character stories are equally terrible. Suikoden games from the
past always gave us additional characters with very interesting
mini-stories that added to their depth. In this game? Very very
VERY boring. There's no one imparticular that has an exciting
recruitment. At least no one I remember, and that says something,
since I can remember at least 5 from every other Suikoden where
a recruitable character had an interesting story.

Graphics : 6/10
The graphics were fairly decent. Neat little designs in weapons
and some spell effects and creature designs were very nice.
Unfortuantely, there were quite a lot of rehashes in terms of
said creature design, too many. I found it disappointing that
the best designs were all bonus bosses and not the ones you
would face. The backgrounds are quite good, and the anime
cutscenes were very well done (and surprisingly of great
quality and fluidity in animation).

Voice-Acting : 2/10
Although certainly not the worst JRPG dub, it's pretty bad
considering the absurdly better voice-acting in Suikoden 4 & 5
(although they had their suckiness in that department too, just
nowhere near as bad as Tierkreis).

The main character was just...bad. Nearly everyone was either
extremely mediocre or sounded like they were reading their lines
(which means no real ACTING was ever done), and boy oh boy,
who could ever forget the dialogue with Chrodechild and Fredegund?
Whomever was the casting director needs to get fired.

Gameplay : 0/10

Yes, 0/10. Here's why :
1 - No originality
All the characters attack, move, and act in terms of combat, the
same. There are some templates of characters who will act or move
in certain ways, but I guarantee you that there are probably 6 other
characters that do the exact same thing. Pretty much take a character
and howthey act in combat (victory taunt, attack animation, etc.)
change the graphics to said character, and boom, you have 2
characters who may look different, but they're not really. Everyone in
the earlier suikodens (with the exception of 1) had their own attack
and victory animation. The same cannot be said for this.

2 - Further unoriginality
And while I'm at it, I did not like the equippable weapons aspect in this
game whatsoever. One of the cases for originality with the original
Suikoden was that every character was keyed to one weapon only.

In this, so many characters are able to equip multiples of weapons. The
SAME weapons as other characters might I add. The system for them is
fairly broken (dual-wielding is the highest source of damage in the entire
game) and it's very boring in that no particular weapon is ever "important".
(ex. ranged weapon best against flying enemies) They're as carbon bland
as the characters that wield them.

3 - Even more unoriginality
I like how a fair amount of "spells" in this game are carbon copies of
one another. So again, if you wanted, you could really have the same
characters doing the same moves over and over again. Which is lame.

4 - Can't win this fight
Wow, how many of these were there again? I think there have been what,
almost 20 of them? I may be exaggerating, but damn, I have never played
an RPG that ever forced me into so many "you're supposed to lose this fight"
as many times as this game did. After the 3rd time, it honestly just got
really stupid, and I can't help but want to slap the director of this game for
this overly terrible and flawed mechanic in JRPG gameplay.

5 - Challenge, what challenge?
Seriously, I think this game ties for Lunar Advance for easiest game ever.
I think there may have been what, 2 battles that were somewhat tough?

6 - Too much stupid walking
I loved the idea of having no escape talismans. No really, it was pure genius
to force the player to run through many areas and get bogged down by
random encounters. Why give the players a break and give them a nice and
convenient way to exit areas? Or after cutscenes of dialogue and plot?
Hell no, make them run everywhere and give them no convenience at all.
They don't want that.

................*facedesk*

7 - Very bad dungeons
Dungeon designs were terrible. They're very much the old maze-like dungeons
from RPG predating this game by about 12 years.

Overall : 2/10
This game is in a nutshell, a very trimmed down suikoden game with none
of the good qualities of previous games, but instead, keeps all the bad
qualities from said previous games.
kati

Post by kati »

I've just beaten the game and here's what my opinion is:

Gameplay-4/10: I mean with it's tradition keep it simple and to the point was good, but a lot of things weren't so great i.e. the weapons. The only problem i had with this wasn't the fact that people could switch weapons and have some versatility, but the problem i had was when you wanted to upgrade your weapon, it only shows if the character was compatible with the weapon, not if the weapon was better or worse attack-wise. Another problem i seen along with what i agree on with many people is the "lose factor". I figure why bother being thrust into an unwinable battle and look like idiots hitting with only 1 hp damage to the foe and your foe can pwn you in a one shot. I mean it worked for like Neclord and others in the other games, but having to do it so many times made Sieg look weak. And the encounter rate was absolutely atrocious.

Characters-5/10: Bland personalities. I think the only characters you can see even having some sort of connection for are Liu, Asad, Chrodechild, and the Princess of the Magedom (can't think of her name from the top of my head), and even though i could feel a tiny connection to, pretty much all the characters are forgettable. They just seemed to cliche and very bland.

Graphics-7/10: The 3d models sucked and they should have been sprites, but the background pics and the anime were definitely cool considering they are on ds.

Plot-1/10: This plot was nothing but a recycled FFX plot gone terribly wrong. I enjoyed it until about after the magedom got destroyed because i thought they were gonna get the brainwashed psychos back to normal again. Then learning about what happened in the past with the Tenkais and all that reminded me of the pilgrimage of FFX, the summoners and the sacrificing the person/s, and i was like "hmm gee, this seems familiar". It was watered down and dumb. And you can't really do any real exploration. You finish an area, and there's absolutely no reason to go back to it when you're done unless you're recruiting, but that's it. The spells weren't very original and most of the time with those attack spells, they fail unless you're using the awesome falcon one or whatever it's called that Fredergund has.

Sound-8/10 (BGM) 3/10 (VA): The BGM was awesome and i loved it. I especially loved the song when you first get the forest ruin castle. Idk why, but i just do. The voice acting on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired. The mispronounciations of names really bugged me out. But what do you expect for a game like this though.

Overall-4/10: Although this game wasn't the worst game in the world, it could have been WAAAAAAAAAAAY better. I know that this isn't even supposed to be like any of the others, but it just wasn't something i would play again. Replay value, not so much. I know that this one doesn't correlate to the others in the series, and i think with all the speculation how this correlates to the other suikodens isn't logical and people are gonna debate that til we are all blue in the face, but i can't compare this one to the others since it isn't a direct correlation. There is nothing in this that can even be speculated in any way, shape, or form on how this plot is related to the other suikodens. I liked 4 since it was part of the story and Tactics was a directed sequel to 4 and it's was okay, but im glad this one isn't related to the other suikodens because if it was, it would be a travesty. I'm glad i didn't get to spend my limited free time when i go back to college playing this. I'm glad i played this while i was on hiadus from school due to my bustitus. So this is what i think, whether it's logical or not, this is just my opinion. And if you agree with me, kudos, but if you don't agree, hey i'm sharing my thoughts and only my thoughts, and if you like the game, that's cool too
damican

Post by damican »

Well I originally like many was quite butthurt about this not being a real suikoden, but I gave it a fair shake and beat it with around 30-35 hours on the clock (left it running a few times so cant say for sure)

Gameplay:

Tons of playable characters yet... Only 4 slots? This is alleviated a bit as sometimes you are required to use certain people and make up multiple parties. Battles are somewhat fun at first but the encounter rate gets a bit silly especially with no champion rune/equivalent. You don't get your support character that makes running easier until late either! The trading system is ok, if you look at a chart you can more or less have infinite money. Some of the recruiting can be annoying but the recruiting is not nearly as difficult as it was in S5. Overall I had fun playing the game and was eager to continue. It's not original really, but it takes some of the good suikoden elements and makes a sandwich with a classic jrpg setup. 7/10

Sound:

Main characters voice was horrid, other then that I liked most of the music. Nothing too memorable though. 5/10 (i'd go higher but the main character was just terrible)

Graphics: The good? Everything but the character models! The models themselves are on par with the N64. Only the beast tribe actually looked like their models. The anime cut scenes were fine, albeit short. I did think the backgrounds were very good though. 7/10

Story: I came into this game with an unbiased view as I've heard to just treat it as an RPG with a lot of characters. Doing that I actually found the story decent, if somewhat conventional. No real major plot twists or big surprised, but it was still interesting. Main character withstanding of course. Some of the characters are very cool and you can actually grow to like em. 7/10

Over all: I'd give this game a 7 out 10 just because it was fun to play, the voice acting (aside from our crappy hero) was rather well done and it didnt make my eyes bleed. It had vague suikoden feelings but was definatly not what I would call a Suikoden. Do not come into this game expecting a Suikoden experience and you'll likely enjoy it.
oryx

Post by oryx »

I love Tierkreis but I'll admit that I mainly like it for the characters... The plot is not *awful*, but it is somewhat lackluster, and the core principles behind it are much too black-and-white with no grey area. This struck me most at one scene with Atrie, after a certain character's death. The hero is grieving and saying, "if only I had done suchandsuch, he would still be alive," and Atrie tells him to stop thinking like an Order member. He says that they don't know the future (and they shouldn't know it), and that the dead character made his own choice. I remember being bothered a lot by this scene... I mean, "living with no regrets" is a fine message to send, but tbh there's a limit. It is completely human to regret a mistake/not taking action, especially when a person you care for DIES, for gods sake. It's like, "okay tierkreis, I get it; knowing the future is NOT OKAY." But that doesn't mean people aren't going to occasionally dream of "fated love" or regret a sad moment from the past. Things like that are not going to hurt anyone, you know. :|

A lot of people keep saying how bad the voice acting is, but I play it with the sound off so... No comment on that. ;p I downloaded the soundtrack and it sounds very nice, with the Citro Plains and Cragbark themes standing out in my mind. Fitting and pleasant music, I must say.

The variety of characters makes gameplay pretty interesting, but I'll admit it can get a bit tiring to play after a while. The enemy encounter rate is ridiculous, to put it lightly, and some dungeons are incredibly frustrating. Also why are there so many "you're meant to lose" battles?? They drive me up the wall, seriously! Overall though battling is simplistic and straightforward and fairly enjoyable (I'm awful at video games so the more simplistic the better, lol).

I'll reiterate: I love Tierkreis. It annoys the hell out of me sometimes and it is deeply flawed but I still love it. But if you're not overly invested in the characters like I am then you probably won't enjoy it as much... I don't think it deserves the scathing hatred that is sometimes directed towards it but I do understand why some find it disappointing, especially after experiencing a few of the older games.
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

I finally got around to playing this! Just in time for the next one to be released...

A solid entry. It's no Suikoden II or III, but it's not too bad at all. A fun game.

First the bad: The walking speed was awful, most of the voice acting was forgettable (though for some weird reason I kind of liked Marica's VA) or bad, and I swing more towards determinism. It was also really annoying to only have 4 combat slots. Okay fine, 4 member parties... but you have SIX spaces to put them in. What? C'mon now! I also think they need to spend more time on the character art, because I did not like the designs at all. Not the anime stills/videos or the models. A bit disappointed in the old style of parties compared to STactics, I really felt like my character were active on the battlefield compared to Tiekreis. Oh well, it's just how it is.

The good: Interesting characters, the majority were more interesting than in V. I liked the use of MP instead of number of spells, and the use of the bash/slash/stab mechanic. The story was interesting enough to keep wanting to see what happened and I liked the use of "seasons" as far as it went, though I'd prefer them to go even farther in the future with more effects. Maybe have cold weather gear cosmetic swaps? Anyhow, I also liked the trading mechanic and the quests. All in all I'd give this one a 6.5.

ED: 100 posts!