[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tierkreis

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in Suikoden Tierkreis; or wish for more clarity with the gameplay systems.
Chaco

Re: Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tierkreis

Post by Chaco »

Overall: 9/10

Story:
GREAT story! Original and intense. I hated the Order, but was able to slightly understand thier goal, they were going about it in the wrong way though, they ended up being a fanatic group who solved things with violence and tyrant control. The characters were all great and it had a "Suikoden" feel to it.

Weapon System:
I liked how you could change what weapon people used. It made the usefullness of some characters improve. For example, if a character had high stats but a crappy weapon, no problem you could just change it!

Music:
I didn't get to hear it :(

Hero:
He was cocky lol, but he had a good heart. I liked him, but I like some other hero's more.

Four Person Party:
Well it was at least nice of them to give us 6 slots to put them in, I would of prefered a 6 person party but oh well.

Visual:
The artwork was typical Suikoden and it felt right, and I liked it.

Magic:
And the mark of the Stars aren't as bad as I have feared. It's somewhat like the rune system, but you can customize which 4 spells you want to use.
I feel the same way about it.

Worldmap:
Yeah, Tierkreis' map system is better than, let's say, IIÌ's. it's horrible to walk thorugh all dungeons AGAIN! It's pretty much the same as Tactics'...
Again I agree, it was convinient.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Original and intense.
Sorry, but have you like played any other game... ever?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Hero:
He was cocky lol, but he had a good heart. I liked him, but I like some other hero's more.
I like the hero.. for the most part. It's somewhat enerving that he repeats "we can change our future!", it's so penetrant. Otherwise, he's a good Suikoden hero (but of course not as cool as Tir or Riou!)
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

Got the game today (was released here last week but shipping was slow and the local stores sucks), and been playing slightly more than 4 hours.

The voice acting is bad and impossible to turn off, only 2 save slots is annoying, the running is too slow, the hero is bleh, the other characters are mostly bleh too and the beginning of the game is boring and uninteresting.

But around the 3 hour mark, something happened and I got more hooked into the story. And there was a nice defensive battle just now too so I look forward to see what happens next. And the music is very nice too.

The worst thing is that it doesn't really feel like a Suikoden game to me, at least not yet. It's a good game, but it's no Suikoden. Suikoden gives me plenty of interesting characters and emotional moments, but so far I had none of that, but I'm hopeful that I will get some of it eventually.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Sorry, but have you like played any other game... ever?
I should have been more clear with what I meant by Original. What I meant was it was it wasn't uber cliche.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

I can help but feel Konami sped up the recorded dialogue to help fit the game on a DS cart.

Bad move. I'm not sure the Hero ever takes a break and breathes in.
Haroth

Post by Haroth »

Quick question for those who have played the game: How does the gameplay compare to other games, more specifically the first three installments? I'll probably end up picking up the game and adopting it as my official hand-held obsession sooner or later, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to toss me a few bones on what to expect gameplay wise.
Life is uncensored; prepare to blush.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

30 minutes played since yesterday! Kinda busy these days..(freakin' film project) :lol:

It's good! I just don't like how the "map" doesn't go with the hero. I mean, the map only moves when you go to the edge of it unlike in the past games, the character is at the center of the screen so it follows. Pretty hard to explain......

First impression; i thought Marica? was an evil girl but as I've finished her part off, discovered she was concerned to the Tierkreis world...maybe.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
raingods

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tierkreis

Post by raingods »

30 hours in, about 70 stars found, and I really, really like it. I see a lot of people complaining that it doesn't have this or that from the other games, and think people forget sometimes, the limits of a DS. There's only so much that can fit onto the cartridge. However, what they have put on there is fantastic. Is it perfect? no. What game is? Having played rpg's since the days of my Amiga 500, I can count on both hands the number of times that I've actually lost myself totally in a game. This is one of them.

I really like the story so far; it manages to have some of the religious, political aspects of the other games, and yet have its own identity. The voice acting doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does other people, and much is well done. The graphics are some of the best I've seen on the DS, and the music is just phenomonal.

I don't like having to scroll through everyone to get a group together, however. The random battles come too quickly (especially in the cave with the pirates), but are over pretty fast. The characters, are really well done and given some deep back story-more than I thought possible for a DS.

I miss having the lottery, the comment box, and the mini games (even though the mini games in the others seemed like filler they were still fun).

I don't miss the duels especially, and was always on the fence about the actual war battles.

Mechanics don't make a game, story does, and imo Suikoden Tierkreis feels like a Suikoden game, without necessarily playing like one.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

There's only so much that can fit onto the cartridge.
There is enough space on the cardridge for 30minutes or so of anime-sequences, but none for mini-games?
raingods

Post by raingods »

Antimatzist wrote:
There is enough space on the cardridge for 30minutes or so of anime-sequences, but none for mini-games?
As I mentioned earlier, mini games, no matter how well done, are basically filler. They may enhance the game, give it a bit more flavor, but doesn't advance the plot. when you have a limited amount of space, and 30 minutes of anime sequences to boot, I can see why they would leave them out.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Well, here my final review of the game after complete it. I tried to be objective and judgue it like an any RPG and not as a Suikoden game.

Grafics:

I dont play to much to Ds, so may be i cant judge this well, but...I think characters in 3d looks good. Stages are quite beatiful but in the end are just pics, so it doesn't have too much merit. The animations on battle are acceptable and the most part of the combinations attacks are the same.

History:

I must admit, the game begins quite poor, but soon becomes more interesting and you want to know more and more, and see what happens. However the developement of the facts is totally absurd in too many points. the characters...those from the history are quite interesting, charismatic and well concibed (Crode, Asad, Cougar, Diulf, Vaslof...) but all the others sucks. The villians dont have charisma at all. Is a luck the plot compensates a little.

Gameplay:

A total disaster. So many combats are annoying (at least you can get the ring to run further, if not the volcan would be a pain). The dificult isnt low is...nul, cero. Yo can beat the most part of combats with auto combat and healing time to time. The enemies dont have strong points or weak, so you only need to attack not matter what. The magics are useless, there is no meaning on make magics with a mage to take 900 when an attack with a mage take 800. you only use phisical marcs of stars, and you do it only to save some time, you dont need them. Final bosses, even the last one dont arrive to the category of "joke". There arent aditional quest, minigames or special items to get to make it more enjoyable.

Sound:

The best of the game, all melodies are focking awesome. Is a pity that voices which you cant off.

Factor Suikoden:

I add this criterium, because at the end is a Suikoden. However, i dont count it to the final note.

I thought the lost of the original world was bad, but is even worse. This title dont have NOTHING related to suikoden series.

This series never were specially brillant in an rpg sense. they all were quite...poor...in comparation with others. But it have some things that make this series different to the others. That was the solid background, there is countries with their territory, their cities, their culture. And some of this countries have conflicts, internal or betwen them. The magic is a present and important element, but the plot turns around the conflict itself, the reasons are "political", and is the strategy and militar powers the thing that determines all.

Here we have the clasic "big bad empire" who tries to subyugate other nations (of one city) by force, and betwen them there is the heroes village (who isnt in any country is a village-countrie), at the same time they search for a mistic power to dominate-destroying the world.

The castle...you dont recive it, it just is there from the beggining and the stars...there is no care on any of them (excluding the history ones) there must be 108 chars to mantain the name Suikoden on the cover.

In a few words, is a random rpg like hundred others. that doesnt mean the game is bad, but he hasnt nothing special. There are the bad guys and the heroes fight them from the front the numbers or estrategy doesnt matter with their superpowers is enought and of course they are the only ones who can avoid the world destruction.

In general is an erosion to generical features and rpg cliches, weapons are best in each new country, inns are more expensive in each country, is like return to snes times.

Truely, i dont understand those who say "opens a new path" or "this sends suikoden to a new era"...if you take a game wich his only feature is be diferent and you take out all this diferences, is take a step back, you have a generic rpg which isnt bad, but isnt too good either.

I dont understand those who still "feel this game like a suikoden" either :shock: I like that someone tell me where exactly they feel it like a suikoden because i cant found a single bit.

The only thing that this game provides is the feature of change the party on towns inns.

FINAL NOTE:

I think the final note must be more than the simple matematical calculation.(And as i said, i didnt consider the "suikden factor")

The game, has liked me, is the true. But is one of this games who doesnt apport nothing and you forget early.

Is an entertaiment and simple rpg, and this is enougth for me to enjoy.

BUT the gameplay is...horrible, i dont want suffer but at least a minimal of difficult is required, playing this game was like reading an interactive book more than play a game.

The history at least is entertaining, but isnt too much original too.

LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

raingods wrote:
Antimatzist wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, mini games, no matter how well done, are basically filler. They may enhance the game, give it a bit more flavor, but doesn't advance the plot. when you have a limited amount of space, and 30 minutes of anime sequences to boot, I can see why they would leave them out.
I'd have cut out the anime sequences and either voiced far more story parts or just plain put in more content for the game, mini-games being a top priority.

Can't tell you how much fun it is to collect all of the stuff for the various mini games in Suikoden 2 (including... Recipe 34), the plays in Suikoden 3, and even spending time in the mini games of Suikoden 5 (fishing was especially fun and frantic).

Thing is, even a game as small as Breath of Fire 3 had a full-fledged fishing mini-game that tied into some of the greatest equipment you could get in the game. This game just feels... kinda bland in how little there is to access extra content and other such things. Trading and WiFi isn't what I'd consider mini games or long side quests.
Formerly known as: Gothann
suikodenherodrake

Post by suikodenherodrake »

I just finished the game a few minutes ago, and I do have to state my opinions.

Story: 9.5/10
I loved the idea of alternate worlds and everything that was covered in the game. So many plot twists, I enjoyed it all. Alternate worlds always have intrigued me.

Graphics: 8/10
I'll be nice, since it was a DS game, but not bad. The animations themselves were pretty breath-taking, especially in the climatic battle. Those who have finished the game, do you agree?

Voice Acting: 6.5/10
I'll be nice, or at least try to be. At least it wasn't Chaos Wars bad. I liked the main character's VA, but he needs to lay off the Mountain Dew, or whatever. Sugar can kill ya, ya know. Diadora, Valfred, and Chrodechild's VAs were probably my favorite. Dirk's annoyed the heck out of me.

Music: 8/10
It's not the original music, but I can look past that. I loved the instrumental "Tears of the Sky" song at the beginning, the battle music was cool, and I loved "Tierkreis ~Doors of Hope~" the end song. All in all, the music was amazing as always.

Magic: 9/10
I'm going to have to agree with what's been said about the Mark of the Stars. I loved the idea of customizing your spells. I wouldn't mind seeing that in future projects, but I know it's only for the Tierkreis universe.

Battle: 8.5/10
I liked the flow of battles. It was easy to come up with a strategy for each of the enemies you knew were possibly coming. The unite attacks, cool and powerful as always (Defense Corp FTW). I miss there being six party members though, but enjoyed the sharing of items like in Suikoden IV. Also, very dramatic final boss. It definitely had you on your toes at all times.

If there's anything I'm missing, remind me. I'll edit this post.

Overall: 8.75/10

It's a good Suikoden game, but there could've been a few things to make it better - like include more of the original music, return to the original blacksmith, etc. All in all, as I said, it was awesome. I definitely recommend this to any RPG fan or a potential Suikoden fan. And to those who are going to ask, yes, I have played the original games, all five including Tactics, so I know what I'm talking about. Case closed. I'm out. Happy Tierkreis-ing.
Check out my Suikoden fic: Freiheit
WARNING: Season 1 may cause head-splodies.
R.I.P. Todd Davis
3-21-88 - 2-25-07
edgex

Post by edgex »

The music in this game is simply awesome that imo, that alone is worth playing this game - for an avid VGM fan that is. Every music has its own distinct trait and significance. All 5 boss battle themes i.e; 'Battle against Archivists', 'Battle against Auster Folks', 'Regular Boss Battle Theme', 'Battle between 2 sisters' and 'Battle Against TOK' are amazing. I haven't heard such epic battle themes since FFV's 'clash on the big bridge' and FFVI's 'the decisive battle'. The track 'Tierkreis' is a beautiful piece of music and can be heard in the chorus of many other tracks.

Another favourite track that i like is 'Formation', which is the music thats played whenever ur prompted to select ur party members. It invokes that kind of feeling in which ur supposed to choose ur heroes to battle; like those music in Marvel Vs Capcom, Final Fantasy:Dissidia where you have to choose a character to fight.