[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tierkreis

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in Suikoden Tierkreis; or wish for more clarity with the gameplay systems.
Antimatzist

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tierkreis

Post by Antimatzist »

and the use of the bash/slash/stab mechanic.
Really? I never put any thought into that as I didn't feel that it had any impact at all.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

About it, we have physical elements but we loose magical elements since wind, fire,ice .etc.don't affect anything. So it's likely to make up for the loss.
and the use of the bash/slash/stab mechanic.
And yea no need to be amazed by it since this system has already existed in S5
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

attack types have been in use since Suikoden 3 - chain mail makes the wearer a little weaker to thrust and Rock Golems are strong against all physical attack types except thrust.
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

For me the mechanic seemed to work. Using the mechanic seemed to give me about a 20% increase damage. And as for not being new, that really doesn't have any bearing on whether I like it in this game or not. I liked it, I consider it a positive. I haven't played S5 in quite a long time, so I forgot it was there. Was it spelled out in the same way?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

SpecialNewb wrote:For me the mechanic seemed to work. Using the mechanic seemed to give me about a 20% increase damage. And as for not being new, that really doesn't have any bearing on whether I like it in this game or not. I liked it, I consider it a positive. I haven't played S5 in quite a long time, so I forgot it was there. Was it spelled out in the same way?
And I think it was wasted, because you never ever had to consider your euipment, because the game is ridiculously easy. I am really surprised anyone really cared about that for a normal playthrough.
I think S V used an affinity system like with the elements. But I always thought this was used only for defense purposes.... Anyway - if the game really forced you to think about your party's equipment, this affinity thing would be a plus. On the other hand, it's so udnerdeveloped with only 3 "elements" and the only options are "weak to" or "strong against" (or neutral),so it isn't really fun imo.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Tierkreis weapon type works well because each character could have access to not just one type and we can setup them at will.

And you're right, Antimazist, but i think the reason is not because of level difficulty of the game , actually in S5 I feel dumb how they implement this system in and our characters got no option to customize, can't switch weapon, can't remedy their weakness or enhance their strength of any physical type, all they can do is to pray "dear konami, please give me a good physical affinities because i can't do anything to modify that".
Hork

Got around to starting the Suikoden on DS

Post by Hork »

I've seen the engine before with Final Fantasy 4 remake...and Dragon Quest 9. I loved DQ9 so the engine is a-o-k with me...i neglected trying this game because I hate that konami has broken with the continuation of the story of 1-2-3 since the departure of the series creator....but i mean 4 and 5 weren't that bad so i tried this game finally.

It has the suikoden elements...I mean the corrupt taoist official in the first town you visit sets the tone. I'm into the game now (I even regret that I named the lead char "Boring" at the title screen now).

It's a cute little suikoden-esque game using the DQ9/FF4 DS engine. It looks like it'll be a decent game...not a real suikoden game per se though.

Seriously though, square remade one of their classics using this engine. You think it would have killed suikoden to re-release suikoden 1 using this ds engine?

The whole story for suikoden DS so far seems really Chrono Crossy...and I felt Chrono Cross was pointlessly convoluted.
Antimatzist

Re: Got around to starting the Suikoden on DS

Post by Antimatzist »

I think Tierkreis looks worse than the IV remake (which doesn't look greta either) so I'm glad they don't remake I or II like this.

The story is a bit convoluted and at times there are logic gaps, but that is normal I guess.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I think the races and cultures they come up with in Tierkreis are quite interesting. The hand drawn backgrounds look very pretty, but the polygons are hideous.
Hork

Post by Hork »

thoughts so far:

1. I like that the lead character was given the "Viktor" personality. It's usually a silent hero (except in III) but I like this hero's personality...it's very Viktor-esque I must say.

2. The plot has that whole Dragon Quest 6/Chrono Cross "two world" system going on. Or I guess infinite worlds in this one. It's not a great story telling mechanism to be honest. I think Chrono Cross ultimately ended in a failure as the Chrono Trigger sequel because the story got too convoluted at times. I like how the gate-key having guy (Hotupa) comes from this clan of geeks (hommage to Lucca I guess), and I think that's supposed to be Viki's clan (hence the blue white get-up).

3. The re-hashing of mugshots is a bit annoying. When they did it in 4 it was passable because they were supposed to be ancestors and thus similar in appearance to old characters ... but why the hell is Lulu's and Hugo's (and Flik!?) mugshots rehashed in this game? Can you imagine if they really did remake S1 and used Roberto's voice for Flik? I'd have to turn the volume off....Flik would not talk like Roberto. Flik is a pretty legendary class character...why freaking rehash his face for some unlikeable bozo who talks like a woman?

4. I don't like that the voice of the King of Persia there is the same as Lino En Kuldes' voice. That voice actor should have at least attempted an Arabian accent....it feels like Lino is talking to me but he looks like the bad guy from the movie 300.

....anyway...if anyone's interested in my opinions of this game I'll add some more once I've completed it.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

That's not the same voice actor who played Lino (the voices in Suikoden 4 sounded more professional) but I agree, the casual American accent did not suit the mage lord. It suited Lino, because he's a guy who dresses and acts casually and carries on like a regular guy rather than a king, but Danash actually does dress and act in a more regal manner. Similar with Shams - he's like this exotic prince from a foreign kingdom, but he just sounds like a common nerd. At least Mubal had an accent.