[FAQ] Dragonhorse Races

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Jack of All Trades

Re: Dragonhorse Races

Post by Jack of All Trades »

It wasn't pretty but I just beat ax at 3:09:21 for the pale moon leather. I've played the dragon horse races for about 15 minutes in my life. The trick is to start out on Hard and never look back. Oh and get lucky and have ax get beat up by the other races early on.

Muahaahahahah
Rune

Re: [FAQ] Dragonhorse Races

Post by Rune »

I used to hate Dragon Horse racing, especially in hard mode. But now that I've played it a bit more and figured out how to beat it, it's actually a lot of fun! Conserving your dashes for the last lap is they key to victory in almost any difficulty. You can use them as much as you want, but just make sure you have a full bar when you start the last lap. And I agree that Roog and Rahal are pretty much impossible to beat (although I almost beat Rahal once--I was literally a second and a half behind him). Once you practice a little, it's actually pretty easy to beat Nick and Ax (I've done it many times now).
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

if anyone can make a youtube video for beating hard mode that would be much appreciated!!
Rune

Post by Rune »

Unfortunately, I do not have the means of doing videos of games without having somebody film it with a camera while I play. I found it was simply a matter of trial and error, though. I discovered that if you save up your X-button charges, you can actually catch up the most of the other races on everyone's final lap as long as you're not too far behind. So if you can stay pretty close to them and you're racing Ax (or doing ridiculously well against Rahal or Roog), as long as you've had some experience you should be able to pull off a win at some point.

But a video would probably be best...wish I could help!
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

I wish I could have made a video, but I don't have the technology. I'll tell in detail what I did.

1. Make sure you aren't racing Lance or Flail. Race Ax he's a lot slower.
2. Learn the timing of your dashes. Try to use one every time it regenerates.
3. Don't touch anything. Touching the wall reduces your speed. Touch another racer reduces your speed. Also, only block right before the finish line. Having a racer touch you from behind, will slow you down too.
4. There are two 180 degree turns. Make sure you have a dash or two to get back to full speed. If you time it right you'll shoot way ahead of everybody else. This for me was the key to victory.
5. Learn the track, holding the inside lane doesn't work as well but if you know the track then you can learn the shortest route to each of the major turns, giving you the same effect. Sometimes you'll want to be on the right wall, sometimes the left, sometimes in the middle.
grumble_cakes

Post by grumble_cakes »

I don't consider myself particularly good at racing and this worked for me on hard mode- sprinting through the water parts (especially the sharp turns) and not sprinting at all during the straightforward dirt path that leads to the ramp jump. This brings me to the final lap with lots of stamina left and I can always get 2nd place against Rahal/Roog and first place against Ax.
Last edited by grumble_cakes on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I just rammed Ax near the finish line and win haha. My first win in Advanced Mode
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Beat Lance, he was rather slow I must say. Beat him eight times in a row, my time now is 3:02:27 and his is 3:03:37. Not to mention I ram the walls a few times, I think I can get better and beat Flail. This is getting easy now
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Beat Flail, my time is 3:01:98, his is 3:02:91. I was lucky to have other racers ram Flail earlier. I still can't beat his usual time 3:01:64 :? Beat him twice now

I think ramming someone from behind increased your speed
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i don't know about ramming someone from behind, but you definitely get the speed boost from riding behind them-- you catch their drift.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Okay KFC, if you do get here. Here's the most detailed explanation you'll get
1.From the start, use up your stamina bar to half. You'll figure out for yourself when is best to use the stamina bar, probably after turning
2.From here on, everytime your stamina bar fills up(even just one bar), use it to keep it back to half. Do this until the last lap when you get to the long straight path near the end.
3.So you've made it here to the last long straight path, it's time to unleash those kamehameha you've been holding back all this time and win the game

I dunno why but if you keep using your stamina bar to empty, the dragonhorse becomes really slow. You'll notice this when you've played this game a lot like me. That's why I order you to keep it to half

LAST LAP is the most important, every single dragonhorse slows down except ours
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Do you get any epic skill (like Egbert's game) in this game?

Hope not...it's soooo frustrating. :x
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

no, only Pale Moon Leather
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Hey how can you challenge Ax, in Advanced mode? I'm always against Flail or Lance.
Btw,Lance is kinda easier than Flail,i almost defeated him once,with only 0,4 secs difference.

But why i didn't have my prizes for 3rd place and 2nd place,in Advanced mode? I've got PAL version.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I beat both Lance and Flail,multiple times,but i didn't receive any Pale Moon Leather.Why?

Anyway my goal is to beat the record,almost reached it once (3:00:16)...so here are some useful tips:

- Get the boost in the beggining of the race.It will benefit you to save a little more time,and your stamina units too.If any of you have played any other racing games,then you will know the fact that if you press the accelerate button,when "go!" appears in the screen,simultaneously,then you will get a boost. That's how it works here too,by pressing X in time.
- On the first lap your goal is to stay behind the other Dragon Horses,in order to accelerate,so you won't waste your stamina units,for the further laps. Don't try to surpass them. It's rather difficult though to stay behind of them,but if you succeed this a lot,in the first lap then you are on good way.
- If you finished the 1st lap,with full stamina bar,and in under 1 min,then you have possibilities,to break the record.
- On the 2nd lap,try to surpass the other dragon horses,since they'll be slower,with using your stamina,but...be sure to spend as much stamina as needed,in order to have a full bar again for the last turn. Also,when you are behind them,don't use any stamina units,because you'll get the boost by default.
- Now make sure you have over 1 minute left for the last lap,and full stamina bar. Possibly you'll have only Lance or Flail ahead of you,so try to surpass him/her by using all your stamina,without getting near to him/her.
- Try to not clash with other dragon horses,and not hit the fences. It will slow you down.
- Last but not least,try to do small breaks constantly,every 40-45 mins,to rest your fingers. :wink:

Hope i was helpful