[Guide] Affinities & damage formulas

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

[Guide] Affinities & damage formulas

Post by KFCrispy »

What do the Stat screen letters stand for?
Su = Sun
Fi = Fire
Li = Lightning
Wi = Wind
Wa = Water
Ea = Earth
St = Star
So = Sound
Ho = Holy
Da = Dark
Sl = Slash
Th = Thrust
Pu = Punch
Sh = Shoot

Affinity values: E (lowest*), D, C, B, A, to S (highest). Equipment can't boost your affinity beyond S or below E.
*Even for a character with D in Water, wearing Fire Dragon Armor and Fire Amulet won't lower the Water affinity below E.

Slash, Thrust, Punch, and Shoot are physical affinities while the rest are magical.

The value shown in the Stats screen shows the "base" affinity, but equipment that grants +1 <element> Attack or +1 <element> Defense are not reflected in the Stats screen-- even if you have 2 separate pieces of equipment that grant +1 Fire Attack and +1 Fire Defense, the Stat screen does not move the Fire affinity letter up, so just remember to check equipment to determine the true affinity levels of an element.

Magic Damage
Magic Damage = {(base + MAG)*O.Affinity - MDF} / D.Affinity
base: base damage of spell
MAG: MAG of caster
O.Affinity: caster's offensive affinity for the element
MDF: MDF of target
D.Affinity: target's defensive affinity for the element

Offensive - how much more or less damage the character outputs from an elemental magic attack
S: +50% damage
A: +20% damage
B: +10% damage
C: normal damage
D: -50% damage
E: -100% damage (all spells do 0 damage!)

Defensive - how much more or less damage the character takes from an elemental magic attack
S: -100% damage (0 damage; immune)
A: -50% damage
B: -20% damage
C: normal damage
D: +20% damage
E: +50% damage

Note: it turns out Defend does not reduce magic damage and the Resist ability reduces magic damage by 50%. Resist chance increases with MDF as well as the Magic Defense skill.

Physical Damage
Physical Damage = {ATK*O.Affinity - PDF} / D.Affinity
ATK: attacker's ATK
O.Affinity: attacker's offensive affinity for the element
PDF: target's PDF
D.Affinity: target's defensive affinity for the element

Offensive - how much more ATK is increased or decreased when the character performs a physical attack
A: +20% ATK
B: +10% ATK
C: normal Attack
D: -10% ATK

Here are characters who should have an affinity that affects their physical damage output:
A (+20% ATK) - Ax, Byakuren?, Flail, Genoh, Isato, Lance, Urda
B (+10% ATK) - Bernadette, Ernst, Faylen, Jeane, Josephine?, Killey, Kisara, Lorelai, Lun, Miroon, Muroon, Nelis, Zerase
D (-10% ATK) - FaSoLa, LaTiDo, ReMiFa, SoLaTi
(it's notable that MiFaSo is the only musical elf that has a C in Punch)
not yet known (perhaps some tests against the Bone Soldiers would help. i think they are strong vs Slash, weak vs Punch)
Cornelio - Punch is B, Slash and Thrust are C. he's likely Punch, like Josephine...
Levi - B in Shoot, C in the rest. what does a laser beam count as...?
Sharmista - B in Shoot, C in the rest. same weapon as Sialeeds. my guess is Shoot but chakrams are not really "shooting" or even dart-like, they are more like a sword (slash).
Sialeeds - B in Shoot and Punch, C in the rest. see Sharmista

Defensive
A: least damage
B: less damage
C: normal damage....
D: more damage?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

question! can magic affinities reach SS?
Eyedol

Post by Eyedol »

Haven't seen that yet ... I know the Fish set puts any character's Water Magic to S (not SS), so I'm betting S is the limit.
Lourde Incarnadine

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

Eyedol wrote:Haven't seen that yet ... I know the Fish set puts any character's Water Magic to S (not SS), so I'm betting S is the limit.
Could always give them the Fish set + Water Amulet and check. You're probably right, though.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Shoot? Really? Not Shield? What's shield under then?

Edit: and not to sound ignorant but what kind of runes use things like punch and thrust? or is it defence against weapons? I don't get it, is that info posted somewhere else?
Buff

Post by Buff »

i believe thrust is for like the weapon defense. when your weapon blocks the attack and hits back. not sure on the others.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

shield is non-elemental and seems to have fixed results (exactly 200 HP healed... exactly 1.5x boost in magic). i wonder if the 3rd spell affects the group heal spells since they are fixed (water/flowing's group heal does exactly 300 HP; shield 200)
Magus Eternal

Post by Magus Eternal »

I believe Shoot, Thrust, and Punch might affect command runes. Like Great Hawk and Kite being affected by shoot, Unicorn being affected by thrust, and Lion being affected by punch. Also according to the official Strategy Guide the LV. 1 Spell of Pale Gate is Thrust Affinity. Also according to the official Strategy Guide Shield's first and third spells are Earth based and the second spell is water. It also might affect your basic attacks as well as your defense against said attacks. I know affinities are said to go both ways (Attack and defense).
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

there seems to be only one spell in the game that is affected by the Water affinity--the offensive one for 100+ HP. the rest do fixed results (single heal does 999..)
Magus Eternal

Post by Magus Eternal »

Yeah I knew all healing spells where fixed. However I thought that this game had a chanting for spells of sort. Not like Suikoden III mind you, but if someone with an A in Water cast the same spell as someone with a B in Water the A user would go first (Also assuming their speed was similar). That is why the Incantation Skill exists as well. So maybe for healing spells that is what Affinities could affect. Of course I haven't really paid much attention, but I did notice a delay once in the game that stood out.
hell_tanuki

Post by hell_tanuki »

I thought "Pu" was for "Punishment" and "Sh" for "Shield", but you're probably right. "Pu" would be weird because the rune is actually named "Condemned" if I remember. (I don't have it yet)
I couldn't guess what was "So" "Ho" "Da" "Sl" and "Th", so thanks :D
I'm Swiss
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

KFCrispy wrote:shield is non-elemental and seems to have fixed results (exactly 200 HP healed... exactly 1.5x boost in magic). i wonder if the 3rd spell affects the group heal spells since they are fixed (water/flowing's group heal does exactly 300 HP; shield 200)
It stayed fixed for me.
Khift

Post by Khift »

It could be that the Slice, Thrust, Punch, and Shoot affinities refer to the weapon runes. (I.E. Lion, Unicorn, Titan, etc. etc.)

Although, that wouldn't make all that much sense seeing as a character can only ever use one type of weapon rune, since it's tied to your weapon type...
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

hell_tanuki wrote:I thought "Pu" was for "Punishment" and "Sh" for "Shield", but you're probably right. "Pu" would be weird because the rune is actually named "Condemned" if I remember. (I don't have it yet)
I couldn't guess what was "So" "Ho" "Da" "Sl" and "Th", so thanks :D

"Dark" is what applies to it. It's the Condemnation Rune.
Purr.
hell_tanuki

Post by hell_tanuki »

Yeah I figured out, I have it now but never used yet... Thanks though :D
I'm Swiss