[Guide] War / Strategy Battle damage equations

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

[Guide] War / Strategy Battle damage equations

Post by KFCrispy »

Sky Render at gamefaqs.com wrote:Using YouTube videos and basic mathematics, I've figured out the battle mechanics for war encounters. They're surprisingly simple. First, the variables of note: Attack and Defense.

Attack = (10 * Unit Rank) + Bonuses
Defense = 10 + Bonuses

And in combat:

Damage Dealt = Unit's Attack - (Enemy's Defense - Penalties)
Damage Received = (Enemy's Attack - Penalties) - Unit's Defense

The bonuses and penalties are the ones inherited by characters in the second and third command positions, as well as skills like Fortify, Muddle and Rumors.

Additionally, damage dealt is multiplied by 2 while damage received is divided by 2 when your unit is Strong versus the enemy unit, while damage dealt is divided by 2 and damage received is multiplied by 2 when your unit is Weak versus the enemy unit. Also, final damage seems to vary by + or - 1 unit most of the time. Size of the units attacking and defending has no impact, surprisingly.
the special skills are described here: http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 486&p=7084
Runemaster

Re: [Guide] War / Strategy Battle damage equations

Post by Runemaster »

Ok, this is a very late question but Unit Rank is the Command Skill, right? (I borrowed that term from the guide)
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Unit Rank is the number of stars the unit leader has. i haven't played in a while but someone like Mueller is 3 star (max) and weak-sauce characters are 1 star.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

All right thanks. I think you meant Wilhelm though.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!