[Guide] Stage Guide - S Rank criteria and Bonus Rewards

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

[Guide] Stage Guide - S Rank criteria and Bonus Rewards

Post by KFCrispy »

This document shows the S Rank Requirements from the official Japanese guide: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5kaa8k6hylzi ... .xlsx?dl=0
I am also working on describing the locations of the treasure hunt items, but it's not complete.

most S rank equipment thanks to Aldo, taken from the strategy guide. most non-equipment items thanks to Silvermouse

the [number] next to each map tells you how many battles you can encounter on this map, + means "at least" (can change if you loaded Suikoden IV data).

Battle at Sea [1] (something like that... can anyone confirm this battle vs Sigurd?):
Ship's Figurehead
Bonus: keeping the Jolly Pirates alive nets you a Killer Ring

Night Sea [1]:
Steele's Shield (PDF+10, ??? skill +2) - we had Parry skill +2 for a long time but it's not correct. Perhaps Shield Protect...
Bonus: keeping the Jolly Pirates alive nets you a Strength Sash

Razril Alley [3+]:
Razril Knight Token (HP+10 STR+5 PDF+3)
Bonus: Star Earrings from "Game On!" - beat Rita in her game by just 1 tile
To S Rank in Rita's Challenge, beat her by at least 16 tiles.

Underground Passage [2]:
Archmage's Glasses (MAG+5 PDF+2, Concentration skill +2)
Bonus: First battle in underground Passage--Tome of Black Arts is awarded for completing the stage in less than 85 actions including enemy actions

Secret Room [2]:
Archmage's Robe (PDF+15 MDF+20)

Nest of Pirate's [1]:
Edgar's Cape (SKL+10 PDF+5)

Desert Island Coast [3]:
Chiepoo & Co. Card
Bonus:
Seeking Treasure Hunt Partners Quest - not allowing ANY units to die, including enemies, will earn a Hunter's Orb. Note that you can dig up a Hunter's Rune/Orb later in the game (Graska - Battle at the Palace Gates) or buy them late game, and that there are very very few enemies worth "hunting". Also, this is extremely difficult to accomplish without New Game+ since your characters need to act as punching bags AND the enemies often hit each other with their zone attacks!
Give Us a Sign Quest - Platinum is awarded for defeating the Giant Crab in just 1 turn. This can be achieved when you have a mount or Cedric and the Switch ability.

El-Eal [3]:
Figure of an Old Man

Ruins of Collanbal [infinite]:
Fancy Necklace (PDF+5, Magical Defense UP)

Port Merseto [3]:
Merchant's Cap (HP+10 STR/SKL/MAG/EVA/PDF/MDF/SPD/LUC+2)
Bonus: First battle - Gold Ore is awarded for only killing the Merchant
*To S Rank in the Cedric quest "Catch the Eat-and-Run Bandit", reduce his HP to 5% or less of his Max HP. kfcrispy's note: I used Fire magic with Fire Magic skill at B and MAG at ~29. Leaving him on a Fire tile will further reduce his HP after taking damage but won't kill him, which is perfect.

Caleron Laboratory [2]:
Rusty Cog (STR+10 PDF+8)
Bonus: Second Battle - ignoring all targets except Roget will earn a Magic Hand. This is a translation so it may be inaccurate, see http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 40&t=12614

Terana Plain [infinite]:
Dried Grass Amulet (HP+30 SKL+5 PDF+5)

Xasta Grassland [infinite]:
Woven-Grass Medal (HP+30 MAG+5 PDF+5)

Frontier Town Haruna [2]:
Simeon's Spell Book (MAG+20 PDF+5 MDF+15)

Small Border Village [1]:
Drop Earrings (PDF+5, Accuracy +90%)
Bonus: Stardust Dress for only defeating the Rune Cannons

Mido Shallows [infinite]:
Royal Shield (PDF+20)

Imperial City of Graska [2]:
Gate of Graska (EVA-30 PDF+60 MDF-30 SPD-30) - yes those are negatives for EVA / MDF/SPD
Bonus: keep all 4 NPCs (Ornela, Busk, and 2 Obel Soldiers) gets a Silver Dragon Armor

Graska Palace [1]:
Imperial Ring (STR/SKL/MAG/EVA/PDF/MDF/SPD/LUC+5)
Bonus: Crimson Cape is awarded if you defeat over 50 enemies

Secret Patriarchal Facility [2]:
Iskas's Bracelet (MAG+10 PDF+10 MDF+10, Immune to sleep, stun, silence)

Obel Ruins (yes, you win items named after the stage) [all infinite]
Obel 1: Ruins - Level 1
Obel 2: Ruins - Level 2
Obel 3: Ruins - Level 3
Obel 4: Ruins - Level 4
Obel 5: Ruins - Level 5
Cyclone Chamber: Cyclone Chamber
Rage Chamber: Rage Chamber
Flowing Chamber: Flowing Chamber
Mother Earth Chamber: Mother Earth Chamber
Thunder Chamber: Thunder Chamber
Last edited by KFCrispy on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:54 am, edited 10 times in total.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Yeah, I also got that. It adds +2 to that skill.

I didn't even realize it was an S rank item.

Also, thanks for the Drop Earing Accessory. I suppose this is to counter the Beserk Belt and actually make it useful. I grow frightened at just how much damage Millay will be able to do now.
I hope everything is going delicious.
killey

Post by killey »

Killer Ring isn't an S rank item, you get in the Sigurd Battle and I got mine after getting a B rank.
NichtWahr

Post by NichtWahr »

It's been my observation that you get items for finishing a level quickly. For instance, in the second Lab battle, I beat the required boss in a Clear save by means of Hero IV; I got a Magic Hand (and a rank of B).
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yes, someone had mentioned they ignored all enemies and defeated Sigurd, got S rank.

maybe the best way to get S rank is.. well let's discuss it at the topic thread: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB2/viewt ... sc&start=0
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i was playing at a friend's place and the Killer Ring hasn't been showing up at the Sigurd battle. i don't know when i got it. can anyone confirm that it is supposed to be given as a prize "for achieving (any) rank" in that battle or some other?

update: okay, i finally got it. i got A rank. it's "Bonus for attaining rank". so any rank, it should occur. there must be some trick to it, though--maybe all the ally pirates survive?
(though i have gotten S rank AND the killer ring before.. but this payoff seems better right now since i don't have use for a ship's figurehead and a medal is actually significant defense and hp bonus... so not gonna try again >_<)
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

just to let you know, you can buy the killer ring, I saw it in the bargain section of 1 of the outfitters, I forget which island though

im 100% positive that you can buy the killer ring
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Wow, Dragon Breath is my GameFAQS name. Yay
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

I got an S rank in the Cyclone chamber and got an item called..."Cyclone Chamber". lol

Maybe there's a bonus to getting S ranks in all of these.
NichtWahr

Post by NichtWahr »

Silvermouse wrote:I got an S rank in the Cyclone chamber and got an item called..."Cyclone Chamber". lol
Maybe there's a bonus to getting S ranks in all of these.
I've got (almost) all the S-rank items, including the ten Obel Ruin-related ones (every single one of them unequipable) and there doesn't seem to be a bonus attached to them.
(Almost except for the final one, if you're curious.)
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ugh i wasted a lot of time on that Killer Ring and realize it DOES NOT boost Critical Hit at all. it's just +1 defense, +3 skill. not at all worth my time..

has anyone found any purposes for some of these.. Ship's Figurehead (do you get to decorate a ship or something?), and all the Obel Ruins S items.
NichtWahr

Post by NichtWahr »

KFCrispy wrote:has anyone found any purposes for some of these.. Ship's Figurehead (do you get to decorate a ship or something?), and all the Obel Ruins S items.
Some of them seem to be purely ornamental. It's too bad there isn't a bath in the game to display 'em in. :)
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

It's also easier to collect S rank tokens during new game +, for obvious reasons.
I hope everything is going delicious.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah, but many S rank items will probably be extremely insignificant compared to the equipment you carry over from New Game+. only in the first run-through will they help you get more S ranks as you continue in the story...
sybillious

Post by sybillious »

the killer ring is also a random dig item in the obel ruins; i found one on the third floor.