Do you use similar tactics?

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Antimatzist

Re: Do you use similar tactics?

Post by Antimatzist »

Ah so you're saying that it still took time, but just less? Ok, that would make sense. I thought that the different cast time categories (Instantaneous, Fast, Medium, Slow) were absolutes like adding + XY delay for every category.

But the cast time category didn't change, just the speed in which they casted?

But yeah, very few spells are worth waiting at all. Unlike other Suikoden games, early spells will always be useful, like e. g. Thunder Runner. if you're standing on your own terrain, these spells will often be enough to one-hit-k.o. enemies or at least damage them enough for your melee fighters to kill them off.

The only high tier spell I used often is Canopy Defense at Obel Ruins to protect from the Golems' fist attack.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Antimatzist wrote:But yeah, very few spells are worth waiting at all. Unlike other Suikoden games, early spells will always be useful, like e. g. Thunder Runner. if you're standing on your own terrain, these spells will often be enough to one-hit-k.o. enemies or at least damage them enough for your melee fighters to kill them off.
That's why I prefer a fire rune over a rage rune. Question: Is there a difference regarding casting time when casting fire rune lv 4 and rage rune lv 3 spell?
Antimatzist wrote:The only high tier spell I used often is Canopy Defense at Obel Ruins to protect from the Golems' fist attack.
I meant the spells with casting time, but true, some others can be great, especially silent lake.

(@Antimatzist: I'm currently doing a "S-Rank on first run"-play, and I'm following diverse strategies from this forum or your's on suikoversum. You asked me for feedback/confirmation, so I could pm you if you like. Or I could open a new topic here in this forum.)
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Looking at the rune database, no, it does not seem to make a difference, at least to the casting time category.
I meant the spells with casting time, but true, some others can be great, especially silent lake.
Canopy Defense has casting time, but I don't know how much it changes with Earth Magic skill. But it's a defensive spell that I use before entering enemy territory - so the casting time is not a real matter.
(@Antimatzist: I'm currently doing a "S-Rank on first run"-play, and I'm following diverse strategies from this forum or your's on suikoversum. You asked me for feedback/confirmation, so I could pm you if you like. Or I could open a new topic here in this forum.)
I guess it would be best if you would share your experiences in this thread for open discussion: http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=5465

But I am thrilled to see your strategies, seeing that we a have a slightly different way of playing!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

my testing was done late game, when everyone was already S level for all skills. i was actually testing if innate wind characters had an advantage over everyone else who had the same skill level, but it was clear that was not the case; only the mages with significantly more MAG would cast faster.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Ah, I missed a lot of questions in the past lol
Antimatzist wrote: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:15 amBut the cast time category didn't change, just the speed in which they casted?
Actually The ROP's 2nd spell Double-Edged Sword changes from a fast cast to instanteous depending on Punishment Magic grade--I think upgrading from either B to A or A to S causes this change. I haven't seen any "category change" for the other spells though. Keeping Lazlo's spell as "Fast Cast" enabled him to travel super quickly across maps, so it was fun to have...