Karl and Lalacle are top tier characters?

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
gildedtalon

Karl and Lalacle are top tier characters?

Post by gildedtalon »

How useful are they with their unique style :?:
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
sticky-runes

Re: Karl and Lalacle are top tier characters?

Post by sticky-runes »

I think they're the only ones who can use white tiger. They're attacks are pretty fearsome, and they also come with the cross-counter skill which lets them demolish enemies that come at them with physical attacks. Lelacle comes with higher magic attributes, so you can get more uses out of her rune techniques. With White Tiger you have Gather Strength, which greatly increases the damage of their next physical attack (including counter attack). Steel Curtain is not quite as useful, it just raises their physical defence for one turn, quite handy if you're on flat terrain with lots of enemies coming at you. The Air Shot attack does loads of damage to a row of enemies.

I remember on my first play, I got Karl quite late in the game (He joins at a similar level to Kyril) so he had all of his white tiger techniques available, and pretty much worked like a one man army during the final stages of the game. If you get him early, it takes quite long to gain all of his techniques. I tend to give him a lightning mirror so he's got infinite access to his terrain affinity. Lelacle can only be recruited on a new game + but you get her very early as she joins you as soon as you reach Middleport when Kyril is grown up.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Lelacle comes with higher magic attributes, so you can get more uses out of her rune techniques.
For physical fighters, the number of MP increases with Skill, not Magic.

Cross counter is really good. I think Lalacle is more sueful as you use her from the very beginning in a NG+ - but then again, you'll be so overpowered with your late-game equipment, you won't need additional help.

Karl has lightning affinity, which is ok, but not the best (The only lightning usere I use frequently is Andarc), Water is definitely more common.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Andarc is pretty useless, right? I threw him away as soon as I finish that merchant on Merseto
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Other lightning users are Kate, Jeane, Jeremy, Keneth and Ornela (all of them have other friends who they are a bit more compatible with). Rita sucks. There's also the blue mercenary and Mitsuba on a lightning day.

Karl will defend Kyrill and Corselia. I don't know if Lelacle has good will with anyone.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Lalacle is also unkillable, which is a big plus
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

gildedtalon wrote:Andarc is pretty useless, right? I threw him away as soon as I finish that merchant on Merseto
Andarc is actually pretty damn good imo. He is an above average magician and unkillable.
Other lightning users are Kate, Jeane, Jeremy, Keneth and Ornela (all of them have other friends who they are a bit more compatible with). Rita sucks.
Kate is ok, but Sigurd is better; Jeane is the second worst magician (which is a real shame...), Jeremy is ok. I like to use Keneth and I haven't got Ornela in my playthrough now. I like Rita, when you use her from the very first minute you get her she's actually pretty good. She crits quite often and unbalances the enemies, she's a bit frail though.
I don't know if Lelacle has good will with anyone.
No.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Lalacle kicks all kinds of butt, but Karl not so much. he is still decent, but you won't miss anything by not using him since there is a vast selection of awesome characters.
Cross Counter is fun, but it's much deadlier when the enemy has it rather than your own characters, because usually your character's ATK is pretty high and enables the enemy to deal massive damage.... when your team has Cross Counter, you only get a slight damage boost because enemy attacks are not very strong to begin with.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

KFCrispy wrote: Cross Counter is fun, but it's much deadlier when the enemy has it rather than your own characters, because usually your character's ATK is pretty high and enables the enemy to deal massive damage.... when your team has Cross Counter, you only get a slight damage boost because enemy attacks are not very strong to begin with.
Haha, this! Was clearing Obel ruins today and my Eugene was killed in two battles because the fist-Skeletons cross countered him after he missed an attack on them, dealing 500-600 points of damage. Ouch.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Lalacle's Strength doesn't increase? Just now she leveled up, her strength didn't increase
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Sometimes, a stat doesn't increase. But we definitely need a Stat growth guide for that game.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I've noticed that Karl is superior than Lalacle
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

No way. To me, Karl is one of the most worthless characters because he doesn't have extra move and godspeed, worse armor equipment options than Lalacle, gets the 3rd lv spell too late, and he's killable.
To me, this is a comparison between a top tier and a bottom tier character.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Lalacle's damage is so low compared to him, this Lalacle is overrated, she is not that useful in my game
She is only used early in the game, she's never used once Ornela, Busk, and Lino join

I love these spear users, the unicorn rune is so good
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it may be bad luck for your Lalacle's STR growth, but my Lalacle is always far stronger than Karl in my games and thus deals way more damage. Plus she has high SKL for plenty of MP and crits, high MAG for Magic Sword bonus damage, and you can add Hand of God (and Berserker Belt). Her MOV is also pretty high from what I recall.
White Tiger Rune allows her to buff her next attack when she has nothing to do, and then Air Shot can easily deal 999 damage to a row of enemies..... i wouldn't call her overrated by any means.
Also, the female-specific equipment adds some extra options (I think there are armors that boost elemental effects, evasion rate, and assist rate).

The only drawback is her major damage attacks are lv 3 spells (Air Shot and Magic Sword), so Nalleo edges her out due to having more reliable and damaging attacks available.

Late game, using her feels like cheating because of the 2-turn max damage thing.