[Guide] Stage Guide - S Rank criteria and Bonus Rewards

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Antimatzist

Re: [Guide] Stage Guide - S Rank criteria and Bonus Rewards

Post by Antimatzist »

I'm too lazy to count, but I guess I have to. Positive terrain and both damage criteria I fulfill. In my notes on my previous run, it seems I did not have problems at all ... so I am a bit lost. I tried it now 7 times or so. There are only so few ways to get EXP at this stage of the game. I'm already thinking of restarting the game to get the bonus items of the previous stages to make it a bit easier ... maybe I am some turns too slow.

This is driving me nuts!
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Look at KFCrispy’s S rank run on the suikosource youtube channel…
He got 4416 Exp. There are 11 enemies, so you need 5500 Exp for S rank in that single criteria, and at least 3850 for A rank (he got that). But if we take the 2 reinforcements into calculation, he would have only scored B rank, so he couldn’t have gotten overall S rank. So it seems reinforcements don’t count.
I counted like 50-52 turns (inclusive of enemies!), so at least A rank in that criteria.
-> S + S + S + A + A = S as final result

There must not be more than 65 turns in that level!
You need at least 3850 Exp! (KFCrispy’s cohort attack on those 2 skeletons was crucial, the first unite attack was not so important)
…provided you S rank the other 3 criteria. Be patient, good luck!
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Unbelievable, you two are still aiming for S rank.
Just play with emulator, the S rank requirement is so weird.
I probably won't S rank them all without emulator.
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I do use an emulator now to make some screenshots, but this level is still driving me crazy. I'll try again after my vacation. I easily S ranked it in my first S Rank run, so I don't know what's so hard now ...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Currently replaying the game and wondering something from the first battles: how do NPC, which you cannot control, play into the formulas? Does their damage taken and dealt count towards the S Rank criteria? Did anybody ever try to find out? In the battle vs Sigurd, it is near impossible to protect the Jolly Pirates from damage ... I still got S rank, but did not count the numbers. Maybe will retry it.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

The section from the japanese guide that I tried to translate back then explicitly mentioned that NPCs are excluded from the total damage taken and the positive terrain count calculations. There were not mentioned in the other 3 criteria, so I don’t know for turn count and average damage dealt. As for experience, they don’t contribute, but they leave you less to gather if they kill something.

http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 2&start=45
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I figured as much. In my battle with Sigurd, the Lightning-element pirate died in my first few attempts and I still got S Rank. Interesting to know about the terrain. In the battle with Steele, I went very offensive and did not bother to give Peck Earth Element Terrain. I got a bit lucky, since the enemy AI was too stupid to kill Edgar.

Anyway, no comes Middleport; the Secret Room there is probably my arch nemesis when it comes to S Ranks ...
Rein

Post by Rein »

KFCrispy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:27 pm Caleron Laboratory [2]:
Rusty Cog (STR+10 PDF+8)
Bonus: Second Battle - ignoring all targets except Roget will earn a Magic Hand. This is a translation so it may be inaccurate, see http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 40&t=12614
This is accurate, can confirm it. If you ignore everything on the map and only kill Roget you get a Magic Hand. It was an interesting challenge tbh, you have to navigate a weird one tile checkerboard path to even get to him.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Rein wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:52 pm This is accurate, can confirm it. If you ignore everything on the map and only kill Roget you get a Magic Hand. It was an interesting challenge tbh, you have to navigate a weird one tile checkerboard path to even get to him.
You might be able to handle it from the starting point if you manage to lure him close enough for spells and Sigurd's Eagle Rune. Thanks! But did you test if you are allowed to kill any fishmen or soldiers?
Rein

Post by Rein »

You are not allowed to kill either fishmen or regular men. You have to either ignore them or tank their attacks.

I tried luring him first, he wouldn't budge. Where he stands he can reach us with his wind rune but I did't have access to one at that point to reach him. Sigurd and lightning are one tile short to get to him.
Also to note, the regular army doesn't attack except for the lightning mage who can reach your staring position. It was a fun challenge. :)
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Looking back at this, I made a spreadsheet a while back putting together S rank requirements, but never included the EXP portion. So to my understanding, you want to get 500 EXP per enemy, but does this requirement count any reinforcements that show up? If it doesn't, the EXP requirement should be more relaxed on certain stages where a lot of reinforcements appear, since you "farm" more EXP from them. Maybe I'll see how many enemies are initially on each map and just use that number multiplied by 500?
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

You had posted information from the official guide here (p.4, it was a picture file, it’s not visible anymore), but I was unable to translate that exp part in its entirety. Back then, unfortunately, none of the guys who’d be able to translate it stumbled on this thread. You should show that picture to one of these guys directly.

In case it doesn’t say anything about reinforcements anyways, and until someone finds out by testing, we need 2 exp numbers per stage: 1 for the initial enemies and 1 for total enemies inclusive of reinforcements.