Character name translations/New Character Speculation

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
SnowKing

Post by SnowKing »

Here is a complete (I think) list to date. Many thanks to Pesmerga for posting the following links:

http://nihon.kaisho.org/Abel/Suikoden%2 ... n%2020.jpg
http://nihon.kaisho.org/Abel/Suikoden%2 ... n%2021.jpg
http://nihon.kaisho.org/Abel/Suikoden%2 ... n%2022.jpg
http://nihon.kaisho.org/Abel/Suikoden%2 ... n%2023.jpg

Arshtat Falenas
Boz
Chuck
Ferid
Fuwalafuwalu
Galleon
Georg Prime
Gizel Godwin
Jeane
Killey
Kyle
Lelei
Linfa
Logg
Lorelai
Lucretia
Lun
Luserina Barows
Lymsleia
Lyon
Marscal Godwin
Miakis
Muroon
Oboro
Raja
Salum Barows
Shoon
Sialeeds
Viki
Zerase
Zweig

EDIT: Fixed final link, thanks Jowy!

SK
Last edited by SnowKing on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Barking dogs may occaisionally bite, but laughing men hardly ever shoot."
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Interesting that ゼラセ became Zerase. No more point worrying about references to mythology after seeing that.

It's not totally because the translator(s) are n00bs and don't know their mythology here, because SakiyamaD is approving the names(supposedly).
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I'm dissappointed about that. Dzerassa sounded much cooler. Oh well.

A couple other characters names have been discovered now. A dragonhorse named Flail, who was added that the character list as well. Flail's dragon knight is named Raharu. Also, Ran's brother's name is Subaru. Isn't that a car dealership?
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Yuki Tenkai wrote:I'm dissappointed about that. Dzerassa sounded much cooler. Oh well.

A couple other characters names have been discovered now. A dragonhorse named Flail, who was added that the character list as well. Flail's dragon knight is named Raharu. Also, Ran's brother's name is Subaru. Isn't that a car dealership?
DMX or jainsafel translated Raharu as Laharl.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
Luther

Post by Luther »

ChristianSoldier wrote:DMX or jainsafel translated Raharu as Laharl.
Hmmm... Laharl was a correct translation of the main character of the game Disgaea, but it was not the same japanese writing than we have here...
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Laharl...for some reason, that makes me think of "HArle" from Chrono Cross. She was always my favorite character..but back to the topic..

Question! Because of the whole "_r_ to l" mix up that the Japanese translators sometimes do, could Flail turn out to be "Frail" or "Flair"?
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I'll just give you the direct romanization and you decide yourself whatever translation you like better. There's no right/wrong really for katakana name translation.

SuikodenV: Raharu
Disgaea: Rahaaru

Fureiru
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Yuki Tenkai wrote:Question! Because of the whole "_r_ to l" mix up that the Japanese translators sometimes do, could Flail turn out to be "Frail" or "Flair"?
Probably not. Here's what was translated from King's Blog about translate work for Suikoden V.
■I’m concerned about the PAL and US version translations; I have faith that there is more effort being put in than previously.

I can confirm that we are putting in effort. In the English-speaking world of translation, SakiyamaD himself is overseeing the translation of names and expressions. For US VA recording, we had drama production staff Okamoto(lead designer) and Kikuchi go to America, and supervise thoroughly.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

By the way, although Subaru is a a brandname of automobiles produced by the Fuji Heavy Industry, it also is the Japanese word for the Pleiades (a cluster of stars aka "The Seven Sisters").

It's typically a girl's name. Some people at 2ch were saying that Subaru is just a tomboy. However, it looks like a male to me.
SnowKing

Post by SnowKing »

Looks like a guy to me aswel, but you can never really trust appearances in Suikoden. He is in the female baths, isn't he? (With Lun and the lady who is likely her mother, but still, it's the girls bath). I'm sure we'll know soon enough though.

SK
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

SnowKing wrote:Looks like a guy to me aswel, but you can never really trust appearances in Suikoden. He is in the female baths, isn't he? (With Lun and the lady who is likely her mother, but still, it's the girls bath). I'm sure we'll know soon enough though.

SK
In the bath scene that your talking about, Lun is mad at something. Perhaps she is mad at Subaru because he is in the wrong bath.
SnowKing

Post by SnowKing »

Yeah, I thought about that. Does anyone know what she's saying? Oh well, we'll figure it out shortly.

SK
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I have a question that is more of an opinion question...does anyone think the girl at the top of one of the posters is Karayan? Here's a link my sister found at suikox that is a close up of that portion of the poster:

Link: http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/7971/s538wl.jpg

She looks Karayan to me. I was just curious. Sorry that this is a little off the topic.
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV