Overworld

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

S3 surely felt like it was three times as long, solely because they made us go through the similar sets of events three times in total.

That's not exactly a very convincing basis for comparison.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

For me, the gameplay of s3 seemed longer because of the recruitment of characters. They were much more in depth. There were locations that were much larger, as well as locations that connected you to other locations, like the forests and the underground highway of the lizard clan. S4 couldn't have that, as it was a sea exploration map. S5 looks more promising.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Well, S4 had a similar thing when it comes to these "connecting locations". They basically substituted all those forests and plains area with one large expansive sea. Which makes sense because S3's theme was the grassland, while S4's theme was the sea.

And looking at the newer blog updates, S5's main feature will be the great rivers of Falena.
executor of balance

Post by executor of balance »

Overworlds I really missed in Suikoden 3 but in 4 it wasn't very good, just isles and the open sea. But an overworld really helps in giving you the idea of playing in an existing world. It also gives you the idea of really travelling to different locations, instead of just selecting one on a map.
That's why I really liked the Final fantasy series on the playstation.
You could even discover hidden locations in the world.

And Hooray for the Dutch for finding this info, we are truly a magnificent country. ( at least for gamers, I don't mean politics)
The graveyard is full of indispensable men
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

executor of balance wrote:Overworlds I really missed in Suikoden 3 but in 4 it wasn't very good, just isles and the open sea.

No offense, but when people say this it really irks me. It was the ISLAND NATIONS. It ranks right up there when someone on this board said that the one thing he hated about S4 was that everyone was too tan. I guess if there's another game that takes place in an ocean would should just forego the ocean and the islands, because that certainly isn't what makes an island nation.
I hope everything is going delicious.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

My thoughts exactly.

It is utterly disappointing that a country called the Island Nations would involve feature "isles and the open sea".
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I think it would have been better if there just had been more places, more islands. Maybe some reefs that you had to navigate the map just felt a little barren and their idea of Armada's was rather luaghable, four ships?
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Not once you play Rhapsodia, no. Four ships seemed about right. Those four ships, combined, could've torn the Island Nations asunder. It wasn't until they unified that they had a chance and even then it was only because they took it one step, and one fleet, at a time. Once you consider this took all of the Island nation's forces to revolt against only a portion of Kooluk's forces then you see who would be the clear victor in an all out war.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I have a question about why Rionne is following the hero on the map in some parts. Why is she there? Is it like a Gremio thing, where she won't go away no matter what you do?
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

She's his protector; it's as simple as that.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yuki Tenkai wrote: Is it like a Gremio thing, where she won't go away no matter what you do?
Yes, Gremio, Nanami, Cecile. . .the Tenaki usually has a follower/guardian. This happens in almost every Suikoden. I can't think of an example for IV though. . . but that dosen't surprise me.
executor of balance

Post by executor of balance »

I don't think isles and an open sea area are a bad thing, but I just didn't like the way it was done in suikoden 4. It did not feel like a real world you were sailing in. The lack of detail bothered me and more innovating elements like what Shardstar mentions would have been nice.

If you make the open seas a main theme of a game,you can expect that gamers want to see quality seas and isles. So it's not that I don't like the isles and open seas of 4, it's just that there were all done in a way that was dissapointing for me.
The graveyard is full of indispensable men
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

executor of balance wrote:...but in 4 it wasn't very good, just isles and the open sea.
That mentioned nothing about lack of details...

I find the islands to be sufficiently detailed, but I have to agree that the islands could have had more locations per island though. i.e. It's far from convincing that a Kingdom would be made entirely of a palace, some rows of shops and a ruins. If I have a problem with Highland's lack of proper city-like capital, there's no way I can overlook this issue.

Apparently they claim that the total of locations in S5 will exceed those of its predecessors, so perhaps they've improved somewhat.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

^
There was also the mention of hidden dungeons in Suikoden 5 as well. They did'nt say if they would be on the overworld map or not though.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Oppenheimer wrote:
Yuki Tenkai wrote: Is it like a Gremio thing, where she won't go away no matter what you do?
Yes, Gremio, Nanami, Cecile. . .the Tenaki usually has a follower/guardian. This happens in almost every Suikoden. I can't think of an example for IV though. . . but that dosen't surprise me.
I would say that Lino En Kuldes was more or less of that part. There were a few times when he would just join you group, and you couldn't do anything about it..one in particular that comes to mind is the Ghost Ship. But, I do see your point. Rionne is filling in a classic Suikoden role, that will probably be there until the end.

And I just thought of this...(possible spoiler) If this game is going to be more like the first two games, with characters, the overworld map, the war battles, etc., then possibly Rionne could die from that one scene where Dolph stabs her. Gremio and Nanami died, Rionne could, too.(End of possible spoilers)
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV