Is Hudson a good company?

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
skymansxeno

Post by skymansxeno »

It's not as if Hudson is making this on there own either. It is a joint production which means that Hudson is helping with some of the load. And for a Suikoden game, that is a very good idea considering how much detail is (or at least how much detail should be) in a Suikoden game. 108 characters takes a lot of energy away from other parts of the game so they suffer (Konami has admited that 108 characters is tough to make themselves). Hopefully this will allow the former greatness to be made.
LGM

Post by LGM »

So do we reckon Konami does the story and character design while Hudson programmes?
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

I'm assuming everyone does a bit of everything. We'll know after the TGS.
[evil laugh here]
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

The big problem with Suiko IV wasn't that it tried to get back to the roots of Suikoden but that it removed itself so much from the game series that it became a slow form of torture. What made the first two games so great was that the story was first and foremost, about the war. Tir was made leader of the Liberation Army without reference being made to his rune. The first two games though were not about the runes, they were about the 108 stars of destiny. Sure, you had a main character and every army has a leader, but it was about Flik lamenting over Odessa, or Victor's struggles against Neclord. It was about Apple immortizing Mathiu in written form and rivalries between characters and fueds and duels and everything that identified all the characters in your army. The fourth one had none of that and instead wanted to focus on the intentions of the True Rune which really didn't answer any questions anyway. I say Suikoden needs to get back to focusing on the war and leaving the True Runes as a plot device rather than the basis of the story.

As for Hudson's involvement, I can only hope they'll bring some life to this series. The scan I saw of the game looked awesome and I hope it can live up to the title. It can't be worse than IV.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Kimimi

Post by Kimimi »

^^^^

Yep, Suikoden 4 didn't explore the True Rune side of things very well, but that shouldn't be an excuse for them to turn tail and make Suikoden 2.1.

Suikoden will only get better if Konami look at the mistakes they've made, and then rectify them, rather than going "OMG the fans wanted Flik and Neclord and Yuber and Tir and Jowston all over again!" If people want to play something like S2 all over again, you aren't going to get anything closer than the original!

I'd like to see more about the True Runes, and the influence they exert over the world - just because they didn't do it very well the first time doesn't mean they can't make it better.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

but suikoden 4 did cover the true rune very well, the rune of punishment was the main focus and unlike the other installments we learned everything there is to know about the rune, a game or a gaiden where we can learn how the true runes effect the universe around them would be really cool, but suikoden 4 did explore the true rune more thouroughly than any previous game and for that it should be recognized and praised
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Actually, I found the exploration of the True Runes intentions to be rather lacking. It would have been nicer if the hero had a mental debate with the rune or something of that kind. Instead, we see that the rune of punishment just likes to gobble peoples lives and other than the fact that the 108 stars of destiny were gathered together, there was no explanation why it changed from punishment to atonement. How does gathering the stars of destiny effect the Runes determination of who should live or die? I mean, if it was simply based on the idea that the 108 stars cared for the Tenkai star and thus his life was spared, then any joe schmoe can gather a bunch of friends to prove he should live.

But more importantly, the game Suikoden is based the legend of the 108 stars of destiny. Thus, the game should be about the 108 stars and simply use the True Runes as a plot device or a motivation for the wars. Instead, it seems that any person lucky or cursed enough to stumble upon a true rune should lead whatever army in whatever conflict. The games need to go back to focusing on the Stars of Destiny, not the True Runes.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I actually love the true runes more than the stars of destiny{although 108 stars of destiny is my second favorite thing after the true runes} the possibilities of 27 runes that could be gods...in my oppinion all the games should have deep plots but also heavily focus on the true rune and of course develop the characters

and there was an explanation on why it went to atonement, just like in suikoden 2, the way you saved gremio with 108 stars is the same way in which you control the rune of punishment, also it heavely revolves around snowe, the way snowe betrays lazlo over and over again is a true test of the heros kindness and his ability to forgive and you are given many oppurtunities to kill snowe but only if you spare him can you release the evil seal that is the atonement phase and then the rune will realize its true master and reflect what the hero has in his heart...very deep if you ask me, it took me a long time to realise that{man did I ever hate snowe}

and you said the game is based on the 108, that dosent mean the whole game has to revolve around the 108 sod
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Any word on Hudson's involvement as of yet?
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I almost forgot about them. King never even mentioned them.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

How strange. Well, Digital Zero, Inc. was involved with Suikoden IV, and nobody seems to remember them, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I actually remembered Hudson today when I finished Suikoden IV and the credits talked about Digital Zero, Inc.