My Ideal Suikoden 6

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Rooks

Re: My Ideal Suikoden 6

Post by Rooks »

Ideal Suikoden VI (for me anyway)

-Takes place in the Murayama universe.
-Return to a Skill system largely based on SIII, where you can tweak characters how you see fit. This allows you to use the characters you like, without worrying too much about their roles or stats. Of course, adding permanent skills like Untold Clarity and Sacred Oath on certain characters would help, too. Also, divide Magic skills back into Rune Element Based skills. This encourages only one magic attack rune to be equipped on one character.
-Increase the Difficulty level of the game to the likes of Suikoden III or higher, with a few Optional-Win Battles that award nice potch and rare items if you can win.
-Disallow the "Stacking" of Attack Runes like Warrior and Double-Strike. Make Fury and Warrior Runes Right-hand only, and just nix Double-Strike. This will help increase the difficulty level. Also, The magic Absorb Rune should recover 1 LV 1MP only, no more. The Warrior/Wizard Runes should function just as in SII and III, depleting DEF/MDEF by 50% the adding that number to ATK/MAG, not like in SV. Warrior/Wizard should be reasonable common in the late-game. Also, forget the Alertness Rune.
-Magic Incantation and casting time should be reduced by elemental magic skills, not by character SPD stat.
-Allow some characters to have skills that effect the entire party, like having Combat Trainer skill increases the ATK and DEF of all party members. Having Rune Sage increases casting speed and MP, etc.
-Allow a skill to raise MP to a small extent, up to 5 Lv4 MP for powerful mages at the end-game.
-Treasure Bosses. Not as easy or as wealthy as in SIII, but reasonably difficult. Base the Treasure Boss' stats on the Party's average level.
-Create various side quests for certain characters. For Example: witness a scene between character X and Y at the headquarters. This allows character X to go on a side quest and recruit new people. Side quests can be started and paused at any time from any Journeyman's crystal, but characters involved will be unavailable for party and war battles until their quest is complete. Completing these side-journeys will be necessary for recruiting all 108 stars.
-Chatacters' stats, skills and equipment effects their performance in Major Battles.
-The blacksmith can not only sharpen weapons, but customize them as well. They can add DMG at the cost of ACC, or add Continuous Attcks at the cost of DMG, increase ACC at the cost of Critical %, etc etc. This will help people customize the characters the way that they like. Also, add armor customization as well: add MDEF at the cost of DEF, Dodge rating at the cost of DEF, DEF at the cost of SPD, etc etc. This should be done by a second armorer/blacksmith.
-Limit party storage. But allow certain Support characters to increase capacity.
-Support characters have trainable skills along with battle members. Again, this allows players to use the characters they like best. Certain characters will excel at certain skills, but it allows you to have a character with, say: A-Potch Finder and B-Healing

Battle System
-6 characters per battle, all independently controlled.
-Battlefield movement, like is SIII, but heavily refined.
-Make the Defense command more prominent. Give characters the option of defending, then stepping forward to taunt nearby enemies to attack them. Or Defend and step backwards to create space. Defense also greatly increases chances of counter attacking. So much so that the Warrior/Counter rune combo will allow a tank to deal reasonable damage with just the defense command.
-Long Range characters also have short range weapons for self-defense. For example, a Bow and Long-Knife combo. These get sharpened and customized together, but allows for the Long-Range character to Parry incoming short range attacks. Also, it is not so awkward when someone tries to use a Bow against an enemy 2 feet away.
-Enemies have AI, not just a list of skills to randomly select from. They will systematically target weaker characters -if that character is in range. They take into account a character's strengths and weaknesses, as well as their own. They will heal themselves and other party members when necessary. This gives boss battles and some random encounters "personality," as the AI is customized to fit the personality of every enemy. For example: Yuber would simply attack all out with his strongest abilities, while Neclord would summon ghouls and use them as fodder to protect himself while he casts powerful spells.
-Magic casting can be interrupted by physical attacks, but not magic. The faster a spell is chanted, the less time the caster is vulnerable and the less likely it will be interrupted. Being attacked while chanting will increase DMG taken by a small amount.
-Basic and Advanced elemental runes will be able to use unite magic for every level. And each level will have different effects. For Example: Water Dragon Lv1 will deal 100+DMG to one enemy, 100+ Healing for each caster, and a chance of inflicting sleep on the target. Water Dragon LV 2 will deal 150+ DMG to all enemies within a medium area, and heal all allies for 150+ within a medium area, but has no chance of inflicting sleep.
-Also, Unite Magic for Resurrection + Shield will be available. And Unite Magic for Pale Gate + Darkness will be available.
-Using Unite Magic, Unite Attacks, and Skills properly will become necessary for winning in the later game. Without these, your party will be too weak to survive.
-On that Note, the power of Unite attacks should be raised to that of Suikoden II.

Miscellaneous
-Transform Duels into a Super Smash Bros- style game. The basic Guard > Special > Attack > Guard system can remain, but assign each one buttons and make the Duel Real-Time. Reading your opponent's expression and stance will give clues as to their next attack. It does not need to be too complex or difficult. Also, make a Mini-Game accessable from the Main Menu and from HQ where different SODs can practice fighting against one another. If you have some friends over, you can play this Mini-Game, as it is easy to pick up and play.
-More Mini-Games. Including the return of Chinchinrorin and the Theater Mini-Game, Rita-Pon, etc.
-New Game+ function, but with a selectable difficulty level.
-Battle, Major Battle, and Duel Battle Tutorials available from the Main Menu.
-Free Downloadable Content featuring Armor Sets, Runes, non-star characters, and even an extra Dungeon with a new Treasure Boss.

*Edit: Some Rune Changes

-Earth Rune gains some magic not seen since SI. LV1: Clay Guardian, LV2: Voice of Earth, LV3: Vengeful Child (Nullify Magic) LV4: Earthquake.
-Water Rune returns to its Suikoden II form. LV1: Kindness Drops, LV2: Protection Mist, LV3: Kindness Rain, LV4: Silent Lake.
Last edited by Rooks on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

i think unite attacks are something that can be improved upon greatly. it's one of the cool gimmicks of suikoden but you don't really use that much in reality. i like the idea of discovering and leveling unites, but maybe they should be more powerful and less frequently available. maybe characters x and y have a unite attack and if x and y both crit on turn n, then on turn n+1 they will have a unite available for use.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yeah, I agree. Unites are such a great feature of the game, and it is sad to see them reduced to the state they were in for SIV and SV. Same with Unite Magic. I almost never use it in-game. For example, the Golden Hydra was immune to different elements, if you used Unite Magic like Flame Array, you would only hit one of its Heads.

Also, Breath of Ice is simply one of the most useless spells, even if an enemy is weak to water, that spell does so little damage. Make Water/Wind, Water/Lightning Unites easier to use and more common, thus you can attack with a powerful water spell when necessary, and you can replace Breath of Ice with the much more useful Protection Mist.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Unites: I like the idea of levelling them up, and I agree that the system should be changed. Maybe there is a bar charging up in battle and if it meets 100% you can do a Unite. Or if it's 10% you do a really weak unite, 50% mediocre and 100% is the perfect one.

Also, levelling them up does not require battles, but outside-of-battles conversations, actions and maybe miniquests. New unites get unlocked this way, too.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

one interesting idea i've been playing around with in my head is the possibility of taking the melee runes out of the game and folding them into a completely different mechanic.

example:
falcon rune no longer exists as a rune but is now a fighting style applicable to specific types of characters(possibly determined by armor class which would no longer be hidden)
double-strike rune no longer exists as a rune but is now a side effect/special/technique that can be selected for certain fighting styles

so for each character you have the option of what fighting style you want and what special effect(s) you want associated with that fighting style. only certain fighting styles would be eligible for certain characters and the same thing with the special effects. there might be pre-reqs. like lvl reqs, weapon lvl reqs etc. in addition to hard requisites like armor class where certain characters can never be eligible for certain styles of fighting. characters would have a default fighting style but to customize styles and special effects you would need to recruit a martial arts expert character that is a trainer. by giving them items or something (maybe ancient texts or something?) then can learn how to teach you new styles of fighting and effects. rp events could unlock related items and there could possibly be an in-combat leveling system for the fighting styles.

this would create a change in the amount of rune slots characters unlocked as they would only be used for magic runes
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Oh, also, Wingers. Just stick with Elf, Dwarf, Kobold and Winger. Wingers are good characters because you have the ability to show them overcoming the social ostricization like in Suikoden II, and they can be cool and funny parodies of Goth culture.
Percidvales

Post by Percidvales »

I would like it to have a mix of gameplay like Dynasty Warriors 7 and Final Fantasy 12. That way you can edit your party to follow you and do things automatically by gambit, but also providing you with the chance to use them individually. This would be mainly for the WARS, since I know many of my fellow gamers like the traditional 'waiting to be poked' styled.

I want Jeane in this game. I love her and she is my favorite character.

Trading is always nice. Bundles only for certain items. Decoration of HQ like in 5 or maybe even better. Cooking contest like in 2.

Usually when they try to improve games with graphics they screw them up. One can only dream they do it like 2nd or 4th game. It would be nice to have a female hero, or at least be able to choose what he will look like.

I'm sick of silent heroes. No fun. It's like you are all cheering for me and my answer will be "....."

The traditional Rune Magic chart is better than MP. I like it. It makes it more indispensable to have a balanced party.

The party of 6 works fine. It would be the perfect match to my idea of game play. ^

No parallel universe. I want it to be in the same old world of Riou and Jeane.

I hope in the future we get to explore the whole world in an airship and visit points of interest. Like "Here's where Riou has coitus with Lucia and produced Hugo." That would be North Wind Castle. lol :lol:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Here's my take:

LOTS of characters from previous games. One of the reasons I enjoyed 2 so much was because it had that familiarity to it, we got to meet loads of characters from the first game and see what they had been up to since we last saw them. so some more familiar characters OTHER than just Jeane and Viki. And if Jeane and Viki do come back, they should be given more storyline work. and depending on when abouts it takes place, I'm sure they could bring in more immortal sorcerer/rune bearer types, such as Zerase, Sierra, Simeon, Kyril...

It should be set in one of the countries we haven't seen yet (I'm sure it could be set in more than one country, since these are war stories) i.e. Harmonia, Armes or the Gaien Dukedom.

no more wussy monsters, like bouncing hairballs and singing elves and holly leaves. Traditional RPG enemies such as bandits and wolves and undead are all fine, but I'd like the game's combat to keep a more serious feel throughout.

Bring back the dragon knights and do more with them. Perhaps an origin story for how they got founded.

As for gameplay mechanics:

I would like the rune system to be similar to Tactics, in that technique runes (like Falcon, Shrike, Hawk and Titan) allow additional techniques.

The option to set combo attacks and technique runes to work automatically when you use the combo command, so it doesn't get boring with just standard physical attacks.

Bring back Suikoden 4's armour crafting, so we can create rare and unique sets using materials from defeated monsters.
yuberluc

Post by yuberluc »

all i want for the next suikoden series:

- Albert will be our strategy commander
- Please finish the story of hikusaak, luc and sasarai
- all heroes starts to gather and attack hikusaak (harmonia)
Chaos will suit me just fine
suiken

Post by suiken »

Here is what I want on the next game:

- A mini-game where you can date some hotties on 108 stars
- Fully customization of your headquarters like sim city or the sims
- engaging and action-packed war battles like dynasty warriors
- A talking main lead with great personality
- Sierra Mikkain and Milia (or her successor) with true runes as usable spells
- A decision making with huge impact on the storyline similar to Infamous
- No more rock, paper, scissor type duel. Should be a full battle like Soul Calibur.
darkcaesar

Post by darkcaesar »

For me my ideal suikoden 6 is like this:

1. Time: Between 30 years gap of Suikoden II and Suikoden III
2. Place: Anywhere but preferred a new place
3. More explanation about Sindar Ruins. Suikoden V has done a great job in describing Sindar Ruins that can be operated with Dawn and Twilight runes in Falena, so maybe in another country they will use another runes, hopefully the new True Runes
4. There will be a scene where Viktor gives his Star Dragon Sword to Edge.

Another thing I would love to see in Suikoden VI:
1. Yuber and Pesmerga stories, as in Suikoden III there is no Pesmerga who chase Yuber. Maybe in Suikoden VI they had their last battle but Pesmerga lost as Yuber has Eightfold Rune and he reappear in Suikoden III without his armor because his armor is broken after the fight with Pesmerga.
2. Viki's story: Viki has been teleported to many place in different time then suddenly she reappears in her hometown just as Hero come to her hometown to look for help from Teleporter Tribe (Or you can call it anything you want)
3. Jeane's Mystery
4. Someone inherit Barbarossa's Sovereign Rune and Windy's Front Gate Rune.
5. Hikusaak finally show himself
Celvantis

Post by Celvantis »

1; Sequal post Suikoden 3, Its time to move on with the world for a bit.
2; Reuse more of the older races and less Nay-Kobolds, really. Develop what we have.
3; Location wise some old areas like Toran don't have any more stories left to tell on a national scale. Its stable and gets on with the neighbours and has a good government so for now not much to do. Duran does have stories to tell, it remains turbulant in the east but we have already explored it heavily before in story and location so that element would be lacking in a return to it even if new problems arise.
A new nation would be abit much with so many known lands to explore that the fanbase is curious about so new nations need to be introduced but not used as a core location so in all its abit narrowed down to unexplored known nations. Lands like Kanakan are intresting to folks here but doubtful they are in mass large enough to truely host a game entirely.
Personally, Kooluk has been touched but not deeply so and left for like 150 years and has alot of stories to tell, a reunification war among the nation states could be intresting.
Harmonia is another setting that peek peoples intrest but with such a huge boogyman opening the curtain may loose alot of its great mystique. New Armes was also set in in Suikoden V as a land of divisions.
4; A heavier lean toward what the people are doing and less of the evil monsters of doom and utterly no million worlds. We have a setting, a great setting with huge timeframes, its not needed.
5; Deeper stories, heavier themes. Alot of games now are being dumbed down. Final Fantasy is a utter disaster.
6; Avoiding fanwank. It would be so jarring if some of the ideas was showhorned in merely for fan appeal.
7; Proper HQ, wars, duels, minigames, side quests, alternate quests, alternate dialogues. Traditional things.
8; Dont sacrifice story and features for eyecandy. Suikoden never sold on being the most ubercoolreal game evar.
9; Balance between answers and questions. Some locations are okay to revisit, Gregminster in Suikoden 2, same characters clearing how things went with them in the time period is totally fine. Im curious myself on how Lymsleia has been ruling as Queen for the last, what 35 years or so but not to a degree of answering too much and showing too much. Some parts of the story we shouldnt ever have real answers about.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Celvantis wrote: Personally, Kooluk has been touched but not deeply so and left for like 150 years and has alot of stories to tell, a reunification war among the nation states could be intresting.
Did you not play Tactics? Kooluk was abandoned and all its remaining towns were absorbed into the Scarlett Moon Empire.

I'd rather see Gaien, because that was only mentioned in 4 and 5 (still exists in 5) but we never got to see any of it.
Celvantis

Post by Celvantis »

sticky-runes wrote:
Celvantis wrote: Personally, Kooluk has been touched but not deeply so and left for like 150 years and has alot of stories to tell, a reunification war among the nation states could be intresting.
Did you not play Tactics? Kooluk was abandoned and all its remaining towns were absorbed into the Scarlett Moon Empire.

I'd rather see Gaien, because that was only mentioned in 4 and 5 (still exists in 5) but we never got to see any of it.
It wasn't abandoned, the nation was dissolved. You think a entire population upped and moved sticks? Seriously, Its like all italy moved to Germany after the Roman Empire's collapse (where as in reality it splintered into many city states, some absorbed by neighbours and some was abandoned for stronger towns, very likely what happened in Kooluk). We dont know what happened to Kooluks territory as a whole. The end says some villages have been annexed and some have been abandoned. The keyword being some rather then the lands was all annaxed and all the rest abandoned, its a very ambigious end to the region. SME also entered its own era of problems and it too, collapsed. We dont know either that Toran does infact hold all the regions the Scarlet Moon Empire itself had as they are two seperate entities pointed out in S2. The whole region is just a ????? really.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Celvantis wrote:
It wasn't abandoned, the nation was dissolved. You think a entire population upped and moved sticks? Seriously, Its like all italy moved to Germany after the Roman Empire's collapse (where as in reality it splintered into many city states, some absorbed by neighbours and some was abandoned for stronger towns, very likely what happened in Kooluk). We dont know what happened to Kooluks territory as a whole. The end says some villages have been annexed and some have been abandoned. The keyword being some rather then the lands was all annaxed and all the rest abandoned, its a very ambigious end to the region. SME also entered its own era of problems and it too, collapsed. We dont know either that Toran does infact hold all the regions the Scarlet Moon Empire itself had as they are two seperate entities pointed out in S2. The whole region is just a ????? really.
Semantics. Corselia was the last remaining heir to the empire and she it fade, as her grandad wished. the point is, i think we've seen enough of Kooluk compared to other countries that have only been mentioned here and there without us ever visiting them in any games.