Suikoden going downhill?

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Runemaster

Re: Suikoden going downhill?

Post by Runemaster »

Nemesis wrote:In my perspective, GS1 and 2 are the greatest =) Part 3 was dull... part 4 was dull when sailing.. part 5 was pretty nice. I like the song at the raft village. BUT! There is a pretty big but here. JEane dress like an elephant. THE END!
I agree with your judgment of the series (except for S1 that I haven't finished for boredom and decided to continue it at a free time.) BUT not on Jeane!!

Jeane may look older at V because of some accessories that made her big but she is never an ELEPHANT! lol.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

To answer the question in the topic heading, yes, definitely.
KvChaos

Post by KvChaos »

I personally put Suikoden3 at the very bottom of my list. Among what I had completed are 1,2,3,4,5,T.

Reason:
2 is at the top of the list, and I will compare it with 3.
-Like 2, I was hoping for a comeback of my favourites Riou, Jowy and Nanami.
-Still miss the cooking mini-game.
Trinity System is still bothering me.
Chris's eyes look artificial and ugly.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Looks like you should just play 2 over and over again then. Because there's no Riou, Jowy, Nanami or cooking game in 1,3,4,5,tactics or terikeies.
BlackCookie

Post by BlackCookie »

The problem with Suikoden is that 2 is the best and it's hard to beat, 5 was really nice and was a major improvement. I liked 4 because of the concept of Pirates and having an HQ which is a ship, even with the boring sailing. I liked 3 a lot, the story was great and the POVS was nice.

What I really like about Suikoden is that each game is different in some way, yet they always have that nice "Suikoden" feel to them. Even Tier Kries.

When Suikoden 6 comes out I hope to see something new once again, I am crossing my fingers for a non-human or Ninja Tenkai Star. :mrgreen:
"A ninja wastes no words" (Kage)
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

When Suikoden 6 comes out I hope to see something new once again, I am crossing my fingers for a non-human or Ninja Tenkai Star.
I dont know how a Ninja could work but a Non Human Tenkai would be awesome! I have often wondered why they have all been humans. A good place to put something like that would be in Harmonia, a rebellion against the enslavement of non-human species or something like that.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Chaco wrote:
When Suikoden 6 comes out I hope to see something new once again, I am crossing my fingers for a non-human or Ninja Tenkai Star.
I dont know how a Ninja could work but a Non Human Tenkai would be awesome! I have often wondered why they have all been humans. A good place to put something like that would be in Harmonia, a rebellion against the enslavement of non-human species or something like that.
Racism! lol. Well humans are the most dominant and powerful race in the Suikoworld and we can all relate with them best because WE ourselves are humans... I'm not quite sure with the last line....lol!! :D :D :D
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Racism! lol. Well humans are the most dominant and powerful race in the Suikoworld and we can all relate with them best because WE ourselves are humans... I'm not quite sure with the last line....lol!!
Thats why I'd like to see a non-human, because they are NOT dominant, so it would be an uphill battle, exactly the type i like to see.

How do you know I'm a human or not? Just kidding lol.
-Chaco
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

I'm going to need to play the new DS installment before I outright agree with the topic title. My favorite of the series, like many others, is definitely S2, but I feel all of the games have their own charm, and they're very good in their own ways.

Change doesn't mean it's going downhill for sure.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I'm going to need to play the new DS installment before I outright agree with the topic title. My favorite of the series, like many others, is definitely S2, but I feel all of the games have their own charm, and they're very good in their own ways.

Change doesn't mean it's going downhill for sure.
I agree, I think it's nice to have a seperate game non-canon to Suikoden so the makers can try some new things, maybe see what works and what didnt.

And I agree every game has it's own charm, that's what I like about Suikoden.
-Chaco
Aerex

Post by Aerex »

I'm not gonna read the whole thread. I'll just put my opinion based on the topic....

After Suikoden 4 was released I thought the series was just going to crap. After 2's awesomeness 3 was a slight dissapointment for me. I REALLY didnt like the battle system or the big war system. After that 4 was released and I still think 4 was crap compared to the others. It just didnt feel like Suikoden. It was like some other company wanted to copy suikoden and failed with some dull, quickly thrown together, empty copy. As a game I dont completely hate 4 but it's definately not up to the level of the other installments.

IMO Konami tried to fix their screw up with Tactics and fill in the lack of storyline and character development from 4. I enjoyed Tactics alot. And then 5 came out and is very nice. 5 is better than 3 in my opinion so Suikoden is currently going uphill.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I don't think 4 was "crap" on it's own, it's just not as good as the others. It's certainly a fine game if you look at it not comparing it to other games in the series.

I loves Tactics, I'm a huge fan of Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics so when a game of that battle type game out for Suikoden I was really happy.

Related to the topic at hand I think it's going Uphill to, the series has picked up, especially with Suikoden 5, and IMO it will continue to do so. :wink:
-Chaco
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

Suikoden 1, 2 & 5 are among my absolute favorite games of all time. Marvelous games.

The other Suikodens are also "good", but not near those three. I look forward to play Tierkreis very much! :)

And I'm not even a JRPG fan, but prefer games like System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex! :mrgreen: Konami sure did a lot of things right with this series!
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

They certainly did, Suikoden is the best RPG series IMO.
-Chaco