Arcalast - by mainly Suikoden Staff

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
KatoneVi

Arcalast - by mainly Suikoden Staff

Post by KatoneVi »

Game looks different, totally... but the head and some of the main developers of the game is from the Suikoden team.
6 player combat... war....
Seems to be a mobile game though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2XlZe0Aocg

Edit: Haha! The comment section are full of Suikoden fans as well. :)
sticky-runes

Re: Arcalast - by mainly Suikoden Staff

Post by sticky-runes »

It's got large scale battles as well, so it could be worth checking out. If it gets an English release, I just hope they change the title to something a bit more... digestible.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Junko Kawano's art style has come a long way since Suikoden.

But yeah, story is by Osamu Komuta who was behind Tierkreis and Tsumuji and those weren't exactly the prime examples of Suikoden's story-telling...
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

We'll see. Maybe it's good and comes to the west, or maybe we'll even get a console port. Maybe it's a bad freemium gatcha game, then they can keep it. But just seeing Kawano being responsible for some game again is very, very cool.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yes, Kawano's art has really improved -- either that or she now is given enough control over the schedule to focus on design. Previously she stated she was given super limited time for Suikoden 1 art, and as a result she got carpal tunnel... resulting in Clive wearing a garbage bag and Taggart's clothes having no coloring.

Anyhow, Kawano and Komuta are married now, so it is natural they will work together. They are in regular contact with Murayama and Higashino-- so I wonder why Michiru Yamane was their choice to do the music (she did some of the music in Suikoden 2 I think?). Also, some folks involved in Shenmue and Sekaiju no Meikyu...

After being back in Japan for 6 years now, I have come to totally embrace mobile games as a great way to kill time. It seems to be a lifestyle here -- many people play these games so the natural conversation even at work is "do you play <game>? You wanna friend me?" etc... It can be a conversation starter in many instances. Also, bring on the train an an hour or two hours every day results in people being on the smart phone all the time. I can understand why the market is as such in Japan (and rooms are so small you don't wanna clutter it with a TV and game consoles... which is why a lot of young Japanese people don't own a TV).

Anyhow, I would support anything that makes me think it looks a bit like Suikoden. Tsumugi gave me zero vibes. The first PV for Arcalast did give me these vibes so I'll just go with my gut on that one. Of course, I have been betrayed with 4 in the past!!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Vextor wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:24 pm Anyhow, Kawano and Komuta are married now, so it is natural they will work together. They are in regular contact with Murayama and Higashino-- so I wonder why Michiru Yamane was their choice to do the music (she did some of the music in Suikoden 2 I think?). Also, some folks involved in Shenmue and Sekaiju no Meikyu...
Oh that's interesting, didn't know that!

My best bet would be a Western console port if it ever happened. I mean, why no? If it is a real game without the gacha stuff, it could work. Even then, Xenoblade 2 had a system where you'd think it comes from a gacha system, but no, somebody was dumb enough to implement it into a normal game.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Vextor wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:24 pm Anyhow, Kawano and Komuta are married now, so it is natural they will work together. They are in regular contact with Murayama and Higashino-- so I wonder why Michiru Yamane was their choice to do the music (she did some of the music in Suikoden 2 I think?).

I'm not sure if Yamane was involved before Suikoden III but she was involved with Suikoden IV which is by and large Kawano's game so they might just be building from that relationship. Though if she was involved pre-3 it probably went under Konami Kukeiha Club.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

Vextor wrote: Anyhow, I would support anything that makes me think it looks a bit like Suikoden. Tsumugi gave me zero vibes. The first PV for Arcalast did give me these vibes so I'll just go with my gut on that one. Of course, I have been betrayed with 4 in the past!!

I have to agree, the artstyle just screams Suikoden to me. I don't care much for mobile games, but if they released an English version of this game I'd play it.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Looking at Yamane's credits she appears in Suikoden 3 and 4 -- although her career with Konami is quite long so she probably had some influence. Also a member of Kukeiha.