Discovery: Suikoden III

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
KoyuRedd

Discovery: Suikoden III

Post by KoyuRedd »

I am sorry if I'm late in posting this, but I have finally found out a true reason for Konami not releasing Suikoden III in europe.

I'd like to start by saying that all their excuses were mainly to cover up the true reasons, and, by what I have seen, they worked pretty well with the crowd.

My computer owns an NTSC - PAL converter, which translates NTSC coding to that of PAL.

Acquiring a copy of the US version, I tried running it on my PS2 without success. Then I tried looking through the coding with my special programs. By what I can conclude: Konami cannot release Suikoden III because of complications. The 108 Stars, along with half the battles take up one DVD Rom, while the cities take up another, and finally leaving the events, other half of the battles and anything else to use another DVD Rom.

By now I can understand their position: no one in Europe can play Suikoden III without having three PS2's running at the same time. They have used their own programming to avoid using more than one DVD Rom per game.

I hope this topic explains one of the reasons. I am sure to have done nothing wrong in this process, mostly because it was repeated five times for three weeks.

… sheesh…
[evil laugh here]
PesmergaUK

Post by PesmergaUK »

Thats not the reason at all, why would they bother releasing Suikoden 4 in a PAL format if it was going to have all these complications as to what they had with Suikoden 3, as you said.

The true reason and probably the most understandable reason is because there isn't enough people who would purchase the game (Games are made for profit as well as other things you know) Suikoden isn't exactly a very known game as with most RPG's (In almost all cases RPG's do not make the best of money in Europe, exceptions for Square obviously because us Europeans prefere the more action/adventure games or just plain any other type game other then RPG's).

Why release computer games that are not going to make profits, there are not going to take time to convert to PAL to all us 25 people, but they have taken a chance with Suikoden 4 mostly because of all the mail they got demanding for Suikoden 3 when it got confirmed it wasn't going to be released in a PAL version and Suikoden 4 appears to have gotten great feedback.

And I have never knew you could get a PAL decoder on a computer :?

You must tell me how that works.
So He Returns.....
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

I have never knew you could get a PAL decoder on a computer
It's not actually a decoder. I just hack the game and take a look at what's the underlying coding. When I tried to transfer it to a PAL format the information was not small enough to occupy only one DVD Rom.

As for Suikoden IV they had used a different type, so when I tried formatting it to PAL it only occupied ONE DVD Rom. Although it's not perfect, and won't even work properly on my own PS2, it still contained that certain amount of memory.

Believe it or not, that's what I found out… :?
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

I live in Australia. So...doesn't the Suikoden III disc work even with that encoding/decoding whatever product/download?
Last edited by True Wind Bearer on Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

There is no PAL decoder for computers. The only thing it would do would be translating the information, and not changing it at all.

Suikoden III can work with chipped PS2's but I won't risk it. All I do is copy the entire information on computer and translate it to PAL. It's not that hard. :P

If there existed a PAL decoder it would have been illegal (probably), so is translating anything without permission. In many countries it's considered almost (if not) illegal. I do it to see whether a game can be translated to PAL or not. Nothing bad in that.
Mad_Lucied99

Post by Mad_Lucied99 »

I wanted to get that game so badly but its rare now.....is it the best suikoden game ever...???
Beat suiko I, II, IV, and V......
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

I wanted to get that game so badly but its rare now.....is it the best suikoden game ever...???
Honestly… I don't know. I barely even played III… if that's what you're talking about. I can't play NTSC games… not yet at least. From what I heard and read it is one of the best.

On the other hand I have taken a look at IV's storyline and found it much more enthusiastic. But that's only my opinion.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i don't know anything about the differences between NTSC and PAL and other TV formats, but isn't that all video output related? why would a game's programming codes have anything to do with that? i've seen a dvd player that simply played a PAL dvd movie and converted the image onto an NTSC tv. the only problem was that the viewing area was "smushed" so everything was tall and skinny
Roland

Suikoden 3

Post by Roland »

It's typical for Europe lock out some parts out of a entire collection
what is the use of buying Suikoden 4 and 5 if you can't buy Suikoden 3
How could they know if there isn't profit in it ,if there not going to sell it .
Who make up such nonsens ?
So if i want to play the entire serie i have to buy the american
Playstation 2
I hope they don't make the same mistake with Rhapsodia and Suikoden 5
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

yea, why don't the people in Europe just get an american ps2 if they want to play the games that badly?
Strategy is the key to victory!
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:yea, why don't the people in Europe just get an american ps2 if they want to play the games that badly?
Ordered mine yesterday. 8)
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Sorry, I know this is a foolish question, but I'm just making sure, because I may end up getting a NTSC PS2. Could I use my surrent PAL PS2's cords on the NTSC PS2? So, it would work on my TV?

I know there are different power points, but I guess I could use my current power cord for an NTSC PS2.