Suikoden 3 - Why did it never make UK Release?

For asking questions about how to obtain copies of the actual videogames themselves.
Benjiman

Post by Benjiman »

PS2 are that expensive over there? Shocking man. its 100 here and theyre meant to be cheaper in america. say $100, thats like £60. id imagine 30, maybe 40 for shipping... thats still only £100. I wouldnt have thought >£150 and certainly not >£250 !!!

I wouldnt have thought that adapters were that expensive either, but i suppose its a little different from going over to spain XD.

Hmm, i might take a look...

Also, for the book, i didnt know there was so many people that like suikoden in the UK, Ive seen at least 5 just in here, and i know all of my friends believe its a great RPG. Good stuff.

Ashlington, you are right. Konami have slightly wrecked theyre UK market. Lets just hope they eventually learn to put the pieces back together!
"The Pain Of Death, Is The Joy Of Rebirth."
"Death Achieves Nothing!"
"Then I Shall Bring Death To You All!!!"
psyqo

Post by psyqo »

or you can do like me (i'm in France)
have your ps2 modified with messiah2 chip or something like this
and buy your S3 copy on lik-sang.com or eb-games.com :)
you won't need an ntsc ps2 by this way
it's not so expansive for 1 game, and surely you'll buy another us games, so i think it's a good buy
Rai-Jin

Post by Rai-Jin »

Soul Eater wrote:I don't understand the launguage/translation excuses...

They translated it into American-English, so they don't need to do it again, they just need to convert it to PAL.

We almost always get the American-English translations of RPGs, (e.g. Suikoden 2 uses a lot of Americanisms in the speech) so I'm sure nobody would mind, any just be glad to have the game.

I think their last excuse is probably the only feasible one.
they would never just realease it in the UK only..if they would they would release it for whole europe and not everybody talks english
bla
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Rai-Jin wrote:
Soul Eater wrote:I don't understand the launguage/translation excuses...

They translated it into American-English, so they don't need to do it again, they just need to convert it to PAL.

We almost always get the American-English translations of RPGs, (e.g. Suikoden 2 uses a lot of Americanisms in the speech) so I'm sure nobody would mind, any just be glad to have the game.

I think their last excuse is probably the only feasible one.
they would never just realease it in the UK only..if they would they would release it for whole europe and not everybody talks english
well its the most spoken language in europe, and plenty of other games (including RPGs) have come out in Europe in only English language.
Benjiman

Post by Benjiman »

Although there would be a sect in each country that would speak english, and it is the most spoken language, you have to bear in mind, that still NOT EVERYONE in those countries can read english. Think, soul eater, whats the point in releasing a game in France, for example, when half of the population of France dont speak english?

I see the point being made there, although there HAVE been other English only releases, for the record. Despite this, I cant think of a justification on those grounds to not release it.

Psyqo, thank you for your idea, but I am trying other methods before i go to modifying my PS2. Although i may well buy american games in the future, and it may be an idea, id like to postpone it as long as possible :).
psyqo

Post by psyqo »

Benjiman wrote:Psyqo, thank you for your idea, but I am trying other methods before i go to modifying my PS2. Although i may well buy american games in the future, and it may be an idea, id like to postpone it as long as possible :).
is it still under guarantee ? mine wasn't, and even if it was a little expansive, it was cheaper than buying a us ps2
and as you say, with all others rpg that wasn't released (xenogears, chrono cross, xenosaga....) and those which will never be, i assure you you won't regret it
plus it won't damage the ps2 lens, because they're "official" cds, not burned ones
Benjiman

Post by Benjiman »

A good point indeed. I am unsure whether it is still under warranty. Ill check that up. Other than that, i might take up your idea at a later date. Ive also got to make the money to do so XD.

Anyway, thanks all for your explanations on why it wasnt released. Im pleased that at least i kinda know why. Ill guess ill have to go buy some american games XD. I do know my television accepts an NTSC/ 60hz reception, so that will be ok.
koriand'r

Post by koriand'r »

One question to ask is this, what about sony's new coming console PS3? There's no news of them useing the smaller CD's like gamecube so it could be possible to play PS2 games onto 3. but if that's the case and you have an inmported suikoden III. Will that work?

As for konami not selling in UK. That must show that suikoden is having problems as the UK is the fourth biggest economic market. *japan and U.S being the top two*
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

This is only my impression from the internet but it seems that RPGs are more mainstream in America. Very few people in england seem to play them, and they are generally regarded as 'geeks' games. If Gamefaqs.com was UK only then I imagine the top ten games on there would be things like GTA, Metal Gear Solid, Halo etc, rather than the Final Fantasy series.

When I was in year 8 (about 6 years ago) we did a poll and found that 75% of people had never heard of final fantasy, 80% didn't know what an RPG was and when we asked people what an rpg was, the few that did answer said "you select boxes" or "you have numbers everywhere".
Benjiman

Post by Benjiman »

For the americans i think year 8 is 8th grade, although it might be different, the ages of people are all different in america :)

Im in college now soul eater, and i have to contradict your poll enitrely. We too had one recently.Almost exact OPPOSITE stats. Nearly every one atleast knew what FF was. Actually, more than just me knew what Suikoden was (massive shock, considering how many copies there are over here XD) 76% knew FF, 3 (lol)% knew Suikoden 89% knew what an RPG was, even if they didnt like them, and 50% commented on playing them, regularly. Where in UK did you get those results from? I am in Middlesbrough.

Damn, i want to be in america or japan!!! ... ITs only a matter of time...!
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Benjiman wrote:For the americans i think year 8 is 8th grade, although it might be different, the ages of people are all different in america :)

Im in college now soul eater, and i have to contradict your poll enitrely. We too had one recently.Almost exact OPPOSITE stats. Nearly every one atleast knew what FF was. Actually, more than just me knew what Suikoden was (massive shock, considering how many copies there are over here XD) 76% knew FF, 3 (lol)% knew Suikoden 89% knew what an RPG was, even if they didnt like them, and 50% commented on playing them, regularly. Where in UK did you get those results from? I am in Middlesbrough.

Damn, i want to be in america or japan!!! ... ITs only a matter of time...!
For any non english people year 8 is 12-13 years old. I'm 19 now though.

This would have been soon after FF7s release, so it still would have been quite high in the game charts. I live about 12 miles from Cambridge, just inside Hertfordshire. Most people said their favourite games were first person shooters and racing games.
Mipross

Post by Mipross »

If suikoden 4 doesn't reach the UK i'm going to get so mad, i was very luckly to get suikoden 1 and 2.

I will be getting suikoden 3 even if its a US verson, i dont care how much the things costs me.
But if suikoden 4 doesn't come out over here there will be VERY BIG trouble.

DAMN the UK and DAMN PAL lol

M
Benjiman

Post by Benjiman »

Soul eater,

o o cambridge, the student nation XD. Perhaps the students dont have the time for RPGs, so quick fun is theyre port of call. Im lucky enough to be in the North and have a brain, thank god, but here many like RPGs. The timing of your poll might have had a slight influence, of course. The best thing anyone would have then is Chrono Trigger, or, like I would have had at that time, Shining Force 2 (drools... excellent)

Mipross,

Anyone in the UK who still has an intact copy of suikoden 1 or 2, let alone AND 2 (like me :P) is quite lucky, due to the pure lack of amount released. Join the club :P I too hope that S4 makes it to UK. Currently, untill that is decided, I simply await the GC Advance Wars, and the new Remake of Shining Force, on the PS2. Perhaps, Mipross, you would do well to, find something to play while your waiting aswell. :P.
Well, a wait it will be.

I might indeed have to modify my PS2 in the end, like Psyqo earlier suggested. What do yall think would be a good price to get in S3?
Mipross

Post by Mipross »

Not sure on how much S3 will be but i hope not to pay more then £60 for it but hey we'll just have to wait and see, as for playing a different game, well i havent used my PS2 since i got armored core 3 back last summer.
So inless something very nice comes out i'll just wait.

But to hear about shining force for the ps2 that might be worth a llok.

M
Benjiman

Post by Benjiman »

Though it is a teency bit off my own topic, there are actually to be 2 games for the shining serires set on the PS2, apparently one is slated to release in conflict with suikoden 4's tentative release early-mid year. This could cause a bit of a rift for retro-ists like me :(. Hopefully most people will take the option i am and get both :).

(on a side note, i found shining force 3 in PAL, extra-uberly rare to get hold of, man am i proud XD.)

OK well, from what I can see, S3 wont cost too much more than 40 quid, not too bad. Still, this ruckuss could have been avoided if they didnt use such weird coding! This really cheeses me off! For most of the reasons indicated at the start to be true, they would have had to use one freaky code. Maybe the last idea, of KE being more of a depot than a games making business is acceptable to the majority (though a whole division of a company should really be making games, no matter where they are TBH) but looking at it, i think the original excuses were pure... er... a non-swearing word... trash?