Pale/Blue Gate Rune
16%
True Wind Rune
16%

Total votes: 32

Flufflez

Re: Vote on our Web Browser Icon

Post by Flufflez »

the only issue i have with the blue gate image is that it's not immediately identifiable as from the suikoden world
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

What is it identifiable as then?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It could be some sort of ice crystal, or a smurf, dropped from a great height. Honestly, he said it's "not identifiable", not that it's easily mistaken for something else.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

not IMMEDIATELY identifiable as from the suikoden world. meaning that even someone like myself who has played every suikoden game several times doesn't see that image and instantly think "oh yeah blue gate rune." i think it looks like a weird blue snowflake or something. when i picture the blue gate rune in my head i picture this:
http://www.suikosource.com/runes/images/bluegate.gif

i just think that it's a lot harder to identify without the detail. i don't think the point of a web browser icon is for people to play a guessing game of "what is this a picture of?" for some of the other images like water or fire, you at least know that they are the element they are supposed to depict, even if you don't know that they are the symbol for their respective rune.

the blue gate rune would be a pretty cool rune to use as the icon though, but the image quality just isn't there right now imo.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

This is why I say the Gate Rune and not the blue/pale gate rune. It's cooler looking, easier to identify, and is a true rune. Plus Leknatt possesses it (or part of it) and she's the one character that ties all of the main titles together. She and her rune seem like fitting representatives for the series.

As for the quality of the image, gif files are terrible. I would use a jpg or png.
PSN: FreshMetal80
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i've updated my previous post with Ellyos's versions
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Actually, I'm pretty sure Soul Eater is the most easily identifiable Suikoden rune. It's the only one that's shown with overwhelming prominence in Suikoden FMVs AND in-game.

Next in line is the Rune of Beginning (and its two halves), which appears briefly in the opening FMV of Suikoden 2.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

To be honest the most identifiable runes are the 5 elemental ones since they are displayed in all games when you cast elemental magic.
The only reason why I don't want to vote for them is probably because they are not "epic".

Problem with True Runes is to be not known by everybody.

But after all, I don't think this argument is really important. Choosing an original rune is not a bad idea. It can show that this site is not just a common fansite but that it knows its topic.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I'd say Soul Eater is the most iconic, it appeared in two games and is well known into the series. I also don't think that this is true:
I don't think the Soul Eater with it's scythe/death icon is appropriate for the website when someone comes an doesn't know the earlier entries.
I mean it is a 16x16px big picture, it's not like a pop-up window opens whit death animations or so.

But I (again) voted for Gate Rune, because I think it looks nice and somehow has a "meaning" (Gate to Suikoden.. or so).

But in the end, it could really be anything.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

can you make the web browser icon cycle based on the rune in the background of the site banner? b/c that would be pretty cool.
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

You mean changing the icon according the rune displayed in the banner ?
Not a bad idea but some web browser cache will cause troubles because it will keep the first icon used in memory.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

The browser cache wouldn't be an issue. The sensible approach would be to generate the HTML with a different file name referenced in the "link" tag for the icon. Even if the files are cached on the user's system, "fire.ico", is still different from, "gate.ico", and the browser will deal with it accordingly. The only way it would conflict is if you dynamically modified the contents of the same icon file every time a page was loaded, and if you did that, it'd be a crap-shoot anyway. Two users could access pages on the site simultaneously, and they'd both download a file with the Water Rune in it, even if the guy whose script ran first by a millisecond drew Lightning. And that's assuming all the file locks didn't crash the scripts.

Now if the designer's plan is to just stick, "favicon.ico", in the site root as a default, and be done with it, then it's impossible.

The thing is, an icon is usually meant to be representative of the site or brand, and it's kept consistent as part of a site's identity. There are exceptions of course. For instance, if this site chose instead to have a stylish, "S" (assume the Suikoden title font is immediately recognizable), it might be useful to have just the "S" on general pages, and to smash it up with a number when you're on a page for, say, Suikoden 3. Just randomly changing the site's icon isn't really in line with the feature's purpose. If it wasn't just a 16x16 image, doing so could be said to add something to the site's appearance, but being so tiny, I really don't think it would.
BlueMage279

Post by BlueMage279 »

I would think that the Fire Rune is the easiest and most recognizable image, so I vote Fire.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Rune of Beginning it is. Thank you everyone for your votes.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The icon has now been changed. You may need to delete your browser's cache to get it to show up.