Konami

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Greywolf

Konami

Post by Greywolf »

Hi there,

I am a fossil here. As in, I think it might have been 12 years or so since I really came here. Jeez, back then it was MySpace and AOL messenger. I am glad you guys are still here.

I was informed on another forum of the... interesting... choices Konami made regarding their many gaming franchises, including Suikoden. I only found out yesterday. So, I was hoping I could get a more in-depth information on what this means for Suikoden. Are we, basically, done with the franchise? Or, will it continue in some way? Is there lore being made such as novels? Has anybody expressed interest in buying the Suikoden franchise so it continues?

I realize this will require an extensive response and it is possible that an answer already exists. But, I haven't really been here since 2007, so I don't even know where to begin.

Thank you in advance for your help.
"Wisdom begins with wonder." -- Albert Einstein
Antimatzist

Re: Konami

Post by Antimatzist »

So Suikoden V was your last Suikoden? In between, they released two spin-offs, but only one of them got a Western release.

And ... that's it! You didn't miss all that much. There were recently some Suikoden-themed concerts in Japan, which is cool. Also, the first 4 games were re-released on PSN for PS3. Nobody wants to buy the rights from Konami (or they dont't want to sell anyway). And... that's about it.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Konami only does pachinko machines nowdays. Every single franchise is "dead". They basically don't do proper videogames anymore. They still hold the IPS though.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

That's not true. They still make Metal Gear, Bomberman and Pro Evolution Soccer.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

Neclord X wrote: Konami only does pachinko machines nowdays. Every single franchise is "dead". They basically don't do proper videogames anymore. They still hold the IPS though.
Raww Le Klueze wrote: That's not true. They still make Metal Gear, Bomberman and Pro Evolution Soccer.
Antimatzist wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:06 am So Suikoden V was your last Suikoden? In between, they released two spin-offs, but only one of them got a Western release.

And ... that's it! You didn't miss all that much. There were recently some Suikoden-themed concerts in Japan, which is cool. Also, the first 4 games were re-released on PSN for PS3. Nobody wants to buy the rights from Konami (or they dont't want to sell anyway). And... that's about it.
Thank you very much, guys!
"Wisdom begins with wonder." -- Albert Einstein
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:56 am That's not true. They still make Metal Gear, Bomberman and Pro Evolution Soccer.
I rather die than recognize "MGS Survive" as a Metal Gear :D
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Anyone hear rumors about Sony purchasing some of Konami's IPs? I think it's a stretch, but one can only hope. Konami's got a goldmine in IPs just rotting away.
Last edited by JuveLeo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

JuveLeo wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:08 am Anyway hear rumors about Sony purchasing some of Konami's IPs? I think it's a stretch, but one can only hope. Konami's got a goldmine in IPs just rotting away.
I think if Sony'd ever do that, it would be specific single IPs. I could see Sony purchasing Silent Hill, a true multimedia franchise, whereas I don't think they'd buy Suikoden, a niche game series. But the rumours were just that, baseless rumours.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Antimatzist wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:51 am
JuveLeo wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:08 am Anyway hear rumors about Sony purchasing some of Konami's IPs? I think it's a stretch, but one can only hope. Konami's got a goldmine in IPs just rotting away.
I think if Sony'd ever do that, it would be specific single IPs. I could see Sony purchasing Silent Hill, a true multimedia franchise, whereas I don't think they'd buy Suikoden, a niche game series. But the rumours were just that, baseless rumours.
I agree. It definitely would be Silent Hill and Metal Gear. Konami selling their IPs would be a good sign for fans though. It would be nice to see some of these games with a new entry.
TwilightSky

Post by TwilightSky »

Suikoden V came out 14 years ago. It's nice to have hope, but I don't think Sony would pick this up, if they could. Seems they dropped out of the RPG genre after Legend of Dragoon.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

TwilightSky wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:23 am Suikoden V came out 14 years ago. It's nice to have hope, but I don't think Sony would pick this up, if they could. Seems they dropped out of the RPG genre after Legend of Dragoon.
It's insane that it's been 14 years already. It is nice to have hope, but i just hope I'm alive to see a Suikoden VI lol. At least most of the original band are back together for Eiyuden Chronicle.