Kojima exits Konami

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Kojima exits Konami

Post by KFCrispy »

Sorry if this is old news to everyone.. I don't check on video game news that often. http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/26/ ... jima?watch

first it's Murayama, now it's Kojima. I wonder why there are so many issues over there..
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Kojima exits Konami

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

KFCrispy wrote:first it's Murayama, now it's Kojima. I wonder why there are so many issues over there..
Yeah, but there's like 13 years between those two events, it's hardly sign of an endemic problem.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

KFCrispy wrote:first it's Murayama, now it's Kojima. I wonder why there are so many issues over there..
You're forgetting about Koji Igarashi, Tak Fuji, Akari Uchida, Mino Taro, and probably several others who've left over the years. In the past three years, Konami has been bleeding veteran talent like nothing I've ever seen before.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

That's because I started hiring them and paying them with old books.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

They're years apart, but Konami can't sustain their best series with these types of conflicts.
Look at Mario, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Ninja Gaiden, etc (but don't look at Mega Man)...... the other companies have run their games for much longer.
BrucePrintscreen

Ain't that also the reason why Sonic has been utter crap forever...er sorry, I mean many years as well?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

this is a pretty good conversation about the situation before the official separation was announced: http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/03/28/wh ... t-unlocked

one major problem with console games is the fixed cost, although it's not so set in stone nowadays. can't say there's a perfect solution. developing new things like Kojima's games takes tons of money, so even if the Metal Gear Solid games have been highly successful in sales and popularity, Konami may not have necessarily profited. the same problem lies in Suikoden, as the Suikoden games have all been "built from scratch", probably costing way too much-- most other game series have used their existing game engines/templates for at least a couple sequels before working on a new one.

Kojima's "FOX Engine" he built for MGS5 may be really useful in producing games at Konami or being licensed to other companies to give Konami revenue.

In the professional software world, there is much more practical use of resources; old systems are used and copied, and RARELY built from scratch. even if a system is extremely archaic, companies simply build new interfaces and complementary systems to continue working with the old systems..
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I've been paying attention to Konami imploding for a while now. It seems like they are getting out of the video game industry pretty much altogether and just moving to mobile. I hope they sell off the rights to Suikoden since they're not really interested in any of their franchises anymore.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

A few days ago, Akira Sakuma-- a fairly famous game producer in Japan-- tweeted his frustration with Konami. He worked mainly with Hudson Soft in the past, which was bought out by Konami a few years ago along with the rights to a lot of games he worked on. Apparently one of the head guys at Konami gave a verbal agreement to him to allow him to make a new game, but since then completely ignored him-- basically sitting on the rights without anybody being able to do anything with it. Pretty sad.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yep, here's the full story:

http://kotaku.com/developer-gets-testy- ... 1708395920

It's just sad what happens there. I wonder if they can show anything else at E3 and TGS this year besides MGS V.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I doubt it. After cancelling Silent Hills and Castlevania now being relegated to an off brand kick starter they clearly don't think video games are going to make them enough money to bother with.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Don't fret. At least Osamu Komuta still works there, ensuring that the series can continue to spiral downwards if they ever decide to make another Suikoden.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
BrucePrintscreen

So basically Konami is now the Simpsons of the videogame industry?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

they have a new YuGiOh game too. also, their Soccer games have actually made them the most money for quite a while. it's the reason they're probably fine with letting MGS and other series die..... those "real" games take too much time and money to develop and are usually not even profitable. their soccer games, on the other hand, probably rehash old builds but are extremely popular somehow.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Yeah, their football games, I love playing them with my brother and cousin :mrgreen:
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account