Publications - Materials and Art Books

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
HowlingGuild

Publications - Materials and Art Books

Post by HowlingGuild »

Genso Suikoden Card Stories Card Complete Book [03/08/29]
Publisher: Shinkigen-sha 2500yen
ISBN 4-7753-0175-6

Genso Suikoden III High Speed World Guide [02/06/28]
Publisher: Futaba-sha 1200yen
ISBN -

Genso Suikoden 108 Stars Character Guide [02/02/27]
Publisher: Shinkigen-sha 1800yen
ISBN4-7753-0050-4

Genso Suikoden Dictionary [01/12/17]
Publisher: Futaba-sha 2400yen
ISBN4-575-16297-3

This is a hard cover hefty sized book that has almost everything you ever wanted to know about the Suikoden world up until the end of Genso Suikogaiden 2 listed in Japanese alphabetical order. They include info found in Genso Suikoden, Genso Suikoden 2, Genso Suikogaiden vol.1, Genso Suikogaiden Vol.2, Suikoden novels, and Suikoden short stories. They have an entry for characters (even minor ones or ones who never even appeared in the games itself), towns and cities, countries, monsters, weapons, items, etc... They have the ages of all the characters included, but there seems to be some contradictions with the official ages listed at the Konami website. (Quite confusing) The pages are all in color. Advanced level in Japanese is required to enjoy it.

Genso Suikogaiden Vol2 Duel at Crystal Valley Official Visual Fanbook [01/05/18]
Publisher: Mediaworks 1600yen
ISBN4-8402-1840-4

Genso Suikogaiden Vol1 Swordsman of Harmonia Official Visual Fanbook [00/12/01]
ISBN4-84021-659-2

Genso Suikoden2 108 Stars Character Guide [99/11/09]
Publisher: Shinkigen-sha 1800yen
ISBN4-8-831-7769-6

This book is very pleasant to look at as well as very good regarding finding out very interesting facts about characters that are not mentioned in the games. It even includes a lengthy interview with Murayama san and Ishikawa san. They both answer 2 questions each regarding each S of D in Suikoden 2. The first couple of pages (all in color, except for a few b and w drawings done by Ishikawa san) are beautiful artworks for Suikoden 2. They even feature several pictures of characters during several development stages. This book is one of a few books that I would recommend any Suikoden fan to buy. (Even if he/she cannot read Japanese). Ishikawa san's drawings are absolutely beautiful.

Genso Suikoden 1-2 World Guide [99/01/06]
Publisher: Kobayashi-shoten 1400yen
ISBN4-471-36033-7

This book is either out of print or very rare, but it rocks! This has the most detailed info regarding cities and countries of the suikoden world. It also has a very good background info regarding the games. All color pages and very pretty to look at. It's a geography buffs dream come true.
Luc-sama

Post by Luc-sama »

I'm trying to collect all the suikoden artbooks.
So far I have the suikoden 1 and 2 108 stars character guide, and suikogaiden 1 and 2 visual books.

I'm looking for the similiar book for suikoden 3 and the card stories.

Can anyone help me ? Which book I should buy? Escepially for suikoden 3. I really in love with Ishikawa-san artworks :D
With the card game, there seem to be a lot of visual/artbook out
there.

Genso Suikoden Card Stories Card Complete Book [03/08/29]
Genso Suikoden Card Stories Visual Book [01/11/17]
Genso Suikoden Card Stories Card Graphics [01/11/15]

What is the difference with these 3 books?
Do they have different images of the cards?
kanzuki

Post by kanzuki »

Same here. I know some might find this horrible, but I tend to think twice about buying artbooks if they're not at least 95% covered with character arts. Which of the artbooks meets the 95% requirement? I need to make sure what I'm paying for before I get my local bookstore to order something from Japan.
Genso

Post by Genso »

Unfortunately there is no art book for Suikoden III. (Very sad since I loved the artwork from there the most)

None of the Suikoden III books are going to satisfy that 95% requirement, but I found the V-jump guide to be the most visually pleasing out of all the guide books.

As far Card Stories, Howling Guild can probably help you more. She is THE expert after all : ) I think I own the Card Stories Visual guide and I recall that having very nice pictures.

I think the difference between the books is that they have different pics of cards in them. (But I'm not certain)

One thing you have to be careful of is that you don't buy the GBA Card Stories guide book.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The Complete Book has clear images of all cards from all sets up to Chapter 2 Booster Volume 2. They are a bit smaller than the actual cards, but definitely at a much better quality than those featured on the cards' official wesbite.

It also has the game rules, few deck ideas, and very few larger sized artwork of the characters featured on the cards. Nothing you can't find on the website, I'd say.

I never had the chance to look up the other two books though...
kanzuki

Post by kanzuki »

Okay... guess I have to let go the 95% requirement. Uhm, so what does V-jump contains? And which book (range from Suikoden I till Suikoden III) has most visuals on the characters?
Luc-sama

Post by Luc-sama »

Genso Suikoden III Konami Official Perfect Guide [02/09/14]
Publisher: Shinkigen-sha 1600yen
ISBN4-775-30094-6

"The character art is the biggest in here out of all the book"

Genso Suikoden III The Complete Guide [02/09/14]
ISBN4-840-21937-0

"A great addition to this book is that each book comes with a double sided poster "

V-Jump Books Genso Suikoden 3 [02/09/14]
Publisher: Shueisha 1300yen
ISBN4-0877-9194-7

Which one should I buy from these three if I'm after the character artworks? The complete guide one has the double-sided poster, hmmm.
Now I'm confused :?
Terra Black

Post by Terra Black »

umm I'm wondering were I can order these books?
can I order them from the web? in that case what address?

because I really want to buy theese books :lol:
Usesnumbers

Post by Usesnumbers »

Terra Black wrote:umm I'm wondering were I can order these books?
can I order them from the web? in that case what address?

because I really want to buy theese books :lol:
might want to check out yesasia.com.... I have always found it good for finding things like that.
Deconstr
Terra Black

Post by Terra Black »

ok thanks I'm looking for it bright now
Arcana

Post by Arcana »

Does anyone know if the Suikoden 4 Brady Games art book will ever sell in stores? I know that, in the past, Brady's released some of its art books a few months after the preorder release.

I'm curious. :) And before you point it out, yes, I do know about ebay and other sales sites online. I just figure that if Brady's going to print a book, they'll probably be able to recover their costs quite nicely if they reprint it after the initial hype about preordering the game goes down.

Thanks!
-- Arcana

http://suikoden.mine.nu
Suikoden: Pro Patria Mori
- Suikoden Fiction Writing Game.
A land in turmoil... a Rune rediscovered.
Who will be the next Tenkai Star... could it be you?
Kyosuke123

Post by Kyosuke123 »

This might be wierd but do you guys have a scan of the artbooks you wanna share. thanks
sereith

Post by sereith »

I heard there is an artbook for S4. Does anyone have a scan or the ISBN no. for it? I saw it on ebay though
Soria

S4 artbook

Post by Soria »

can anyone tell me where i can find one besides e-bay?
thnx in advance for any info :)
cyanne

Suikoden III Artbook

Post by cyanne »

What's this artbook that genso mentioned in the weblog with the character heights and how is it different from the Character Guidebook?