What if Luca Blight had a girlfriend...?

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

I can't see Luca as evil. He is misguided much in the same way as Sephiroth and many other villains we encounter in rpg games. He believes that what he was doing would help better the world. Eliminating the City-State scum was, in Luca's eyes, a benefitial thing for his people. Of course, that was a completely psychotic way to view bettering a situation and had a lot to do with him seeking revenge for the rape of his mother, but it doesn't make him evil. It's easy to make clear black and white statements, but we must look deeper at Luca's past and understand the reasons for his behavior. Of course, it still doesn't excuse him.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Much like Luc
I hope everything is going delicious.
Lufirel

The True Face of Evil

Post by Lufirel »

I know it's psychotic but Luca is probably my favorite character in the Suikoden universe. That said I just couldn't resist responding to this thread. Now I don't have any delusions that Luca Blight is secretly a sweety. Luca is a nasty ruthless bastard who not only admits to being evil but revels in it. I can't say I understand those of you who claim that Luca is not really evil. He burns down villages, indescriminantly kills civilians, and seems to take utter delight in both of these activities. Granted he does these things to the State who he has reason to hate even though his hatred is decidedly overblown and out of control. What you seem to be overlooking is that Luca has scarcely more regard for the lives of Highlanders. After all he was willing to have the entire Unicorn Brigade massacred in order to restart the war. He is also very fond of threatening to lop off his generals' heads (just because you can behead your generals doesn't mean that you should). Conclusion, Luca is not a nice guy. He is not even a neutral but misguided sort of fellow. Luca is one nasty SOB and in my oppinion can quite fairly be called evil.

Now as far as Luca and women go I have to say I just can't picture it in any way shape or form. I know Luca is a monster but I just can't see him as a rapest. Partially this is because of the incident with his mother. I have heard that many abused children grow up to be abusive themselves, but certainly not all of them and Luca's case is a bit different anyway. He himself wasn't abused but he was forced to watch his mother being defiled. I imagine, although thank God I do not know, that this sort of horror would produce a different psychological effect. And yes, Luca does evidently still care for his mother because thats why he allows Jillia to talk to him on equal terms (take a look at the Blight family leagacy on this site). Furthermore, just look at the grown up Luca. Not only does he hate the state and all of its inhabitants, but he refers to them by such endearing nicknames as pigs, worms, and magots. This seems to indicate that in his eyes the people of the State are less than human, just a bunch of pigs squealing around in their own filth. By contrast Luca evidently has a rather grand oppinion of himself. When Jowy wants to discuss the reasons behind his desire to marry Jillia Luca informs him that he (Jowy) better not be wasting his (Luca's) "precious time." His arrogance is also seen in his final moments when he says that it took hundreds of men to kill him but he killed humans by the thousands. Also before he attacks Riou in the one on one duel he refers to his "holy war" which (if the translation is accurate) indicates that he felt he was somehow divinely justified to slaughter as many residents of the state as possible. In a nutshell Luca is (not without reason) an arrogant and self assured person. Why would such a person lower himself to molesting livestock? Luca thinks he's above the state and in some way he must be maintaining that delusion. My theory is that because of witnessing his mothers rape he associates that kind of behavior with the state and the state with animals. Luca does not view himself as an animal but rather as something seperate and superior. Thus while he is more than happy to coldly murder them and to laugh gleefully at their humiliation he would not dirty himself by raping them.

There are obvious reasons why Luca could not have a normal girlfriend also. Even though he appears to have a slightly higher reguard for Highlanders he still calls them scum and considers them expendible. Simply put, I think Luca's aloof arrogance extends to highlanders as well as members of the state (although not to quite as great an extent). If some crazy woman did fall for him I certainly don't think Luca would return the sentiment. He might string her along for a while and then tell her to get stuffed when he was bored of the game, or he might ignore or violently oppose her advances from the start. But Luca in a romantic relationship just seems wrong, because he doesn't seem to be able to feel any warmth for anyone (save for perhaps Jillia and only because she resembles his mother). If Luca did have a relationship it would be purely physical and he would have to be the one in controll. The idea of Luca being paired with a powerful woman is amusing but only for fanfics. In Suikoden II Luca has an agenda and it does not involve any kind of romance. Love is just not for Luca, violence and revenge are the ways he gets off.
Hero Kev

Post by Hero Kev »

well actually......do you know something......i find Luca much if not exactly the same as Jowy.

A few points........

1- Luca did not kill Jowy becoz he had the use for him...but i can bet its also partly becoz he finds Jowy different from the other city-states pple...if you remember corectly Luca at Jowston hill wiv Jowy he himself said he find Jowy different.Luca knows himself best......more than any of us....if he find Jowy similar to him it means he is also not evil by nature...unless you want to say Jowy is so.....

2- Jowy worked for Luca becoz ( ive read ) that Luca threatened to hurt his family....but Jowy also had his own reasons which i find is not make up which is that he admires Luca for his strength......his power which if he has he will be able to protect his loved ones.....same goes for Luca....who finds Jowy admirable for his courage and determination to want to protect his loved ones ( in the case of his family and friends ).....therefore they had mutual admiration becoz they are similar.....
Jowy was weak but still managed to protect his family and friends from enemies......something which Luca could not do as in his mother's case....therefore he evied Jowy and did not kill him....while Jowy wanted the power that Luca has in order to protect those around him seriously....

3- Luca did not rape...kidnapped......or anything bad other than being cruel t city-states pple becoz he thinks all of them are bad..imagine a group of martians reject fell down to earth and landed on your roof....they raped your mother and tortured you.....but you couldnt do anything becoz you were still a child.....only later the police arrived and captured them into jail.......wouldnt you hate all martians.....whats more if the history textbook states that martians started the war wiv humans and that they were barbaric and uncivilised.....if by all these you dont hate them to the core you are not human.....

4- Luca hated his father for being cowardly and not doing anything to save him and his mother so seriously i do not in the least find it surprising if i heard that he killed his own father....b4 his father died he mentioned his mother's name which i think was Sara? and Luca spoke wiv human factor in him.....he told his father he has no right to mention her name simply becoz he was hiding behind his throne when the mother and son was suffering....he is human and just blinded by vengeance.......certainly not evil's incarnate.
Lufirel

Post by Lufirel »

You make some good points Hero Kev. I agree with you that underneath the raving super-powerful exterior Luca has a human side which makes him a very compelling villain (unlike, in my oppinion, Kefka). He also does seem to recognize Jowy as a kindred spirit although I'd be willing to bet that Jowy would be less than thrilled with that identification. While they may have similarities I certainly do not think that they are exactly the same however. Let me explain...

Yes Luca does identify with Jowy more than with any other person we see him have contact with but does this make Jowy the same as Luca?. I think the things that Luca responds to in Jowy are Jowy's apparent fearlessness and his willingness to go to almost any length to achieve his ambitions. Neither of these qualities are inherently evil and both Jowy and Luca seem to possess them. So yes in this way the two of them are very similar. But Luca has a level of ruthlessness that Jowy never achieves. Remember that Jowy refuses to kill Riou in front of Pilika, I don't think Luca would have had any such qualms. There are other points as well where Jowy could have taken out the Hero or at least made it much more difficult for him (such as in Greenhill or Rockaxe castle) but he does not. I cannot imagine Luca throwing away such opportunities. Thus Jowy still has people he cares about and he sometimes allows these connections to get in the way of his plans. On the other hand, if Luca has any such connections they take a back seat to his ambitions. Luca arguably cares for Jillia but she herself admits that she has very little influence on him. No one can control Luca which is why he is eventually betrayed by his own countrymen. They are also fighting for different things. Jowy is fighting because he has people that he wants to protect. Luca may once have had someone he wanted to protect, Sara, but when you see him in the game seems to have nothing to protect (which may be part of what makes him so strong). He fights for revenge and for his hatred of the State. Furthermore he seems to enjoy the fighting and killing a good deal more than Jowy does. So in conclusion while Luca and Jowy share some of the same character traits they differ both in extremes and in the underlying reasons.

Your second point is well taken. Jowy was definately taken with Luca's power and Luca seemed to admire Jowy's determination and ingenuity.

Now as for the City-State I completely agree that Luca has reason to hate them (hell I was rooting for Highland through the whole game myself). Same thing goes for his father, who, one has to admit, acted like a cowardly burke. And yes Luca was undoubtedly blinded by revenge, but some of his actions definately crossed the line. I would not go so far as to say that Luca was evil incarnate but killing unarmed civilians and burning down unoffending villages are not acts justifiable by revenge (the children in Toto would not even have been born when the incident with the ruffians from Muse occured). Luca went over the top in his hatred of the State and in doing so commited acts which went above and beyond what was neccessary to achieve his ambitions. These were unneccessary acts of hatred and violence that could and would be called evil by the people who were effected by them.
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

I couldn't agree more with you, Hero Kev! You made some excellent notes about Luca, some things that didn't even occured to me, altough Luca is one of my favorite characters. I believe it's true that he admired Jowy in a certain way, but he never showed that, at least not clearly. But apart from seeing his mother being raped, I think Luca was a person who never had much love in his life.

His father never liked him, his own sister dispised him, people were afraid of him...I think he wouldn't turn out to be such a monster if he had a proper guidence in his life (except for Han Cunningham). Yeah, I think he would've turned out much better if he had a girl like Nanami, Kasumi or Rina by his side. Sad... :(
Sir Maldon, the mighty knight of Greenland, bringer of fear and destruction, destroyer of wine barrels, pride of Imperial Heavily Armored Knights Special Elite Destroyer Unit, evil monsters' WORST nightmare!!!!!!!!
Mrs. Luca Blight

Re: What if Luca Blight had a girlfriend...?

Post by Mrs. Luca Blight »

I have one possible story if Luca has ever had a lady.]

During the ruffian attack on Blight Royal Entourage, The maids are also raped and killed, aren't they? Here is my story :

One of the killed maids had a daughter at the same age as LUca. After the maid's death, the daughter became an orphan. Agares felt sorry and guilty for the girl, so he adopted the girl as the Royal Princess. She was taught and taken care as a noble princess but she hated it. SHe told Agares that she wanted to be a warrior. Agares let Han Cunningham taught her martial arts together with Luca, but she had no affinity in it. Han told her about her bad ability, but she still wanted to be a warrior. Han had someone to teach her magic, fortunately, she is really a great magician, especially on water and wind magic. Even she is not supposed to use sword, she still sneaked into Luca's fighting lesson. LUca took an interest into The girl's will to be strong. They sometime had a chat. LUca enjoys going together with the girl because they lost their parents on a same attack. They fell in love in no time.

When Luca decided to find her mother at Kyaro, the girl went with him. When Luca went to find his mother, the girl wandered around by herself. She found out about those ruffians before LUca. When Luca knew about those ruffians, the girl saw LUca slaughtered them. The girl didn't protest about Luca's insane act. She went back to L'Renouille with LUca without asking anything and she joined LUca's crazy and heartless plan.

The girl also accompanied Luca on the Unicorn Brigade Massacre. She joined the team who did the ambush. She helped to cure the wounded victims of the massacre and told them not to say a thing about the massacre and escape Dunan. LUca doesn't know that his lady helped some soldiers escape.

After that, she continued to help Luca's plans but helped few enemy soldiers to escape from the war. They got married after Agares was killed.

The girl also had been good friend with Jillia.

On the night raid after Luca, the girl was not there. SHe were in L'Renouille palace, taking care of her newborn son. When she found out about LUca's death, she guarded L'Renouille Palace for her dead husband until RIou's final attack. SHe led the main army in the last battle and waited for RIou and team before the room where Beast Rune is kept. She then be the last boss before the Beast RUne and she died at that time. Her son is brought along with Jillia to Harmonia.

What is your opinion about this?
Currently making Suikoden fan-fict manga!!!
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

Mrs. Luca Blight wrote:I have one possible story if Luca has ever had a lady.]

During the ruffian attack on Blight Royal Entourage, The maids are also raped and killed, aren't they? Here is my story :

One of the killed maids had a daughter at the same age as LUca. After the maid's death, the daughter became an orphan. Agares felt sorry and guilty for the girl, so he adopted the girl as the Royal Princess. She was taught and taken care as a noble princess but she hated it. SHe told Agares that she wanted to be a warrior. Agares let Han Cunningham taught her martial arts together with Luca, but she had no affinity in it. Han told her about her bad ability, but she still wanted to be a warrior. Han had someone to teach her magic, fortunately, she is really a great magician, especially on water and wind magic. Even she is not supposed to use sword, she still sneaked into Luca's fighting lesson. LUca took an interest into The girl's will to be strong. They sometime had a chat. LUca enjoys going together with the girl because they lost their parents on a same attack. They fell in love in no time.

When Luca decided to find her mother at Kyaro, the girl went with him. When Luca went to find his mother, the girl wandered around by herself. She found out about those ruffians before LUca. When Luca knew about those ruffians, the girl saw LUca slaughtered them. The girl didn't protest about Luca's insane act. She went back to L'Renouille with LUca without asking anything and she joined LUca's crazy and heartless plan.

The girl also accompanied Luca on the Unicorn Brigade Massacre. She joined the team who did the ambush. She helped to cure the wounded victims of the massacre and told them not to say a thing about the massacre and escape Dunan. LUca doesn't know that his lady helped some soldiers escape.

After that, she continued to help Luca's plans but helped few enemy soldiers to escape from the war. They got married after Agares was killed.

The girl also had been good friend with Jillia.

On the night raid after Luca, the girl was not there. SHe were in L'Renouille palace, taking care of her newborn son. When she found out about LUca's death, she guarded L'Renouille Palace for her dead husband until RIou's final attack. SHe led the main army in the last battle and waited for RIou and team before the room where Beast Rune is kept. She then be the last boss before the Beast RUne and she died at that time. Her son is brought along with Jillia to Harmonia.

What is your opinion about this?
First off, she couldnt be the final boss because it was the beast rune that was the final boss, which was summoned by Leon Silverburg and secondly didnt Seed and Culgan lead the highland army to protect the final dunguen(forgot what it was called) against Rious army?

Your theory is probably alot more belivable then "the girl fell in love with a psycho and continued loving him despite all he has done" sort of thing. In order for people to make love actually work, u have to spend time with someone for a long time and accept them, making my reason for supporting Mrs. Luca Blight's theory.
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
Mrs. Luca Blight

Post by Mrs. Luca Blight »

I didn't say that she is the final boss. We fight her before Beast Rune. Beast Rune is still the final boss.
Currently making Suikoden fan-fict manga!!!
gershon3812

Post by gershon3812 »

Even Luca has a girlfriend, I think his wrath wont be remove from his heart.

I think if his gf stopped him from his crimes, I think he will also separate from that woman.
Vermillion.Twilight

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

I think Luca had a slight Oedipus complex. He found his father weak and unworthy of her after that incident...Im not saying its sexual or anything but I do think he thinks of his mother as his only love in the world. His thirst for blood is driven by his hatred of the world that caused his mother to go insane. I believe when he see's other woman he finds them inferior to his mother thus I doubt he ever had a girlfriend.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
Baron

Post by Baron »

Some girl could not remove,years of hatred and rage...
Die Pig!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

read the translated short story of Luca Blight (http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =44&t=7410), he had a maid who he really cared about, Mariel. his rampage is a result of seeing his loved ones tortured by enemies and traitors.
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

Luca would have looked a lot more handsome if he wasn't so obsesses with revenge. So obviously he didn't spend much time to look good. In battle he really does look cool. So I'm pretty sure if he was a man of honor that he wouldn't have trouble finding a nice woman.
Baron

Post by Baron »

Once a psycho,always a psycho
Die Pig!