Toran Castle's layout

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Paler than Moon

Re: Toran Castle's layout

Post by Paler than Moon »

Whee Toran is Castle IS weird. I don't understand how come it looks like nature-made but it's also grow bigger overtime AND still looks nature-made...

I prefer Suiko II's North Window Castle...I like the layout, it makes sense.
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

North Window Castle also had a warm, homey feel, like it would actually be a nice place to live. Living in Toran Castle seemed like a punishment, like our whole army was hanging around in a dilapidated prison complex, for now clear reason.

North Window was the best castle in the series, though, hands down. I never liked Toran Castle, and often named it naughty things as a result.
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Suikoden 1 Castle sucked. It was a bunch of people living in a ROCK where they murdered an innocent Zombie Dragon just to clear out some mist. It's all that Mathius fault.
0/5

Suikoden 2, best castle hands down. It was very "homey" it had space, soldiers, kids, and normal people walking around, I could find my way around no problem and I spend lots of time just staring at some of the beautiful scenes.
5/5

I didn't like Suikoden 3 castle because of how run down it was! I mean, if you have 104 people leaving there, PLUS soldiers, you'd think someone could clean up a bit. As a result...I didn't spend much time there.
2/5

Suikoden 4 ship was a nice HQ, It was unique but I found it very stale in design. For a ship it could of been better. However nice thing about it was that Viki could teleport the whole damn thing. That was impressive Viki!
3/5

Suikoden 5 had a nice feel to it, the design was very nice to look at, the entire thign was nice to look at. However the flaw, the castle was confusing! It took me an hour to find the bath house and the place was GIGANTIC! It's like the poor Prince wasn't walking around that world map long enough he had to run around his castle all day trying to take a bath o_O'
4/5
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
jbd86es

Post by jbd86es »

As for the Zombie Dragon in the castle: It probably didn't care that is was there. It was a zombie. It just stared at a wall and tried to feast on brains and guts when it could; zombies don't have any purpose or will. They don't eat to survive. They eat to eat. That's why they're considered unnatural and are amoral forces with negative consequences.

And yes, Toran Castle was very confusing to me. Especially since you needed a Holy Rune equipped on ally to move through it at a decent speed. I couldn't find most of my SoDs for most of the game until I stumbled upon the second tower to the West; I just never saw the entrance.

I also thought Dunan Castle was very confusing, but actually quite interesting and nice-looking. Plus, the people there moved around somewhat, which is quite cool.

I always expected Orange/Lake Castle to look better as the game progressed; I expected the interior to be repaired when all 108 Stars were recruited, or 104 I should say.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Chaco wrote:Suikoden 1 Castle sucked. It was a bunch of people living in a ROCK where they murdered an innocent Zombie Dragon just to clear out some mist. It's all that Mathius fault.
0/5
Add to that is the castle growth seems unrealistic to me.
Chaco wrote:I didn't like Suikoden 3 castle because of how run down it was! I mean, if you have 104 people leaving there, PLUS soldiers, you'd think someone could clean up a bit. As a result...I didn't spend much time there.
2/5
Agree. Actually I was disappointed when every time the castle grow but it still unrepaired.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

You never know... Maybe the carpenters and decorators thought having Toran Castle looking like a big seashell would make it less threatening to the enemy.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Well, if they intended on deploying good ol' fashioned bird crap-camouflage, then they did one hell of a job.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Zargabaath

Post by Zargabaath »

No way! The Toran Castle is awesome! It's makeshift, rugged appearance emphasizes the less than stellar origins of the Liberation Army. I mean, do you expect them to have some sweet, perfect looking, decked out castle? No!

I agree that North Window castle is better, but there is a certain charm to the unorthodox nature of Toran Castle that fits in with Suikoden's artistic themes. Totally disagree about the bird droppings comment. Have you ever seen a rock formation? They don't have smooth, polished edges (most of the time). I thought the organic, natural feel of the castle was pretty cool.

As for the other castles, III's was boring, IV's totally drab, and V's was dull too. Suikoden did not translate well to 3D. (Of course, I admit bias, considering I think I and II are far superior games.)
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Speaking about SV.....their castle was a bit too....conspicuously perfect. Like hell, we get cearly bored easily of something that doesn't show some sort of imperfection.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Considering how the castle was made by the Sindar, it's likely that they planned the entire castle the way they needed it to be for military and housing purposes. Whatever happened in the large open spaces was likely a lot of creative thinking on the part of various characters, though.

In fact, Suikoden 2 and Suikoden 3 are the only ones where they actually built what they needed (with proof of it happening, at least). The three other games just seemed to reveal themselves as useful to certain HQ-centric things as time went on.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I just realized, Toran Castle looked like a giant poo in the water. :shock:
-Chaco
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

If that's what your poo looks like I'd advise you visit your doctor.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Well, if they intended on deploying good ol' fashioned bird crap-camouflage, then they did one hell of a job.
LOL.
I never said my poo did I? I never even said human waste. I simply said "poo" in genral terms.
-Chaco
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Chaco wrote:I just realized, Toran Castle looked like a giant poo in the water. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that line makes my day
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

that line makes my day
Glad I could help lol :lol:
-Chaco