how long true rune bearers can survive for when they lose...

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
LadyMikain

how long true rune bearers can survive for when they lose...

Post by LadyMikain »

i guess this would be a rune question...

is there any knowledge on how long true rune bearers can survive for, after their rune has been removed? i know graham cray removed his rune and continued to age normally afterwards. but what im asking is that say Jimba, Geddoe or one of the longer living rune bearers had their rune removed, would they continue to age normally as if they rapidly age and die quickly?
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history.-Pahn. Suikoden.
Hirathien

Re: how long true rune bearers can survive for when they los

Post by Hirathien »

Let's see... I don't think we've seen that many lose their True Rune for that long period of time to actually be sure. We've seen Ted lose his, sure. But then we don't see him again until late in the game, and he doesn't seem that different.

It's an interesting question, for sure.
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

oh yeah i forgot about ted, luc says that sasarai wouldnt last for long without his rune but maybe thats just coz hes a clone though. :?
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history.-Pahn. Suikoden.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

My guess would be that they age normally after they lose their Runes. But the effects of losing a True Rune may vary I think.
In the Blue Moon's case, not only does it allow Sierra and the ones she turns into vampires to become immortal but it also allows her to keep her immortality even after it's removed. I guess you can remove the Blue Moon Rune but you can't remove the magic that already has inflicted your blood.
So if there exists any more True Runes of this kind that has such contagious immortality it might not matter even if the rune was taken or removed from the bearer.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

also im assuming that joshua died after passing on his true rune to milia, that or he became an actual dragon himself he does become the "Dragonfather" afterall.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I think the case of Luc and Sasarai is what you said, because he's a clone. He was created to contain the rune, that's his purpose.

I guess it all depends as well, what kind of rune it was. Some might grant more special powers than others, like Vamp said up there.

But, wait. There's one that lost his rune. The Flame Champion. He "Lived out the rest of his days" with his Sana. That would indicate that you get to live, normally.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

This has also being a question thats been bugging my mind for a while, but how long did "the rest of his days" last for? According to gensopedia's timeline the Flame champion was born in the year 390 and got his rune in 421 making him 31 years old. He uses his rune until at least the year 425 when the war ends. Lets say he removes it in year 426. Now hes had about 5 years of not ageing thanks to the rune. Would he just start to age from when he got the rune, would he quickly age 5 years or would he age exceptionally fast due to the lack of the rune. An example being he ages up to, say 80 years old within a year? Flame champions not the best person to use for this perhaps, but say you applied the rule to Geddoe who has had the rune for 70+ years or however long it is. Would he rapidly age within a year or so?
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Another thing that's been bothering me is wether or not you become immortal by carrying the Star Dragon Sword, since it's not directly attached to your body does it's magic affect it's bearer in any way?
If it does so then in that case, if my calculations are correct, Viktor's body would have to be at least 15 years younger than normal. Unless of course he rapidly aged after leaving it in the cave of the wind.

gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I wouldnt have thought it would but you never know... Barbarossa does seem to age even though he carries the Dragon King sword which has the Soveriegn rune embeded in it, which is a true rune. Correct me if im wrong but if the Star rune is part of the night rune would that make the Night rune incomplete or in other words: not a true rune?
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

The Star Rune is a very closely related child of the Night Rune, kinda like fire and Rage runes are the children of the True Fire Rune, so no the Night Rune is not incomplete. Furthermore, simply because a True Rune is not whole doesn't mean it loses it's status as a True Rune, like the two halves of the Gate Rune for example.

gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I always thought that the Star Rune was a piece of the Night rune that got broken off when the Night rune battles the Sun rune like the dawn and twilight runes; and in Suikoden II the two halves of the Rune of Begginging doesnt grant Riou or Jowy agelessness. I guess youre right that youre right about each rune being different though.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

gilgamesh31 wrote:I always thought that the Star Rune was a piece of the Night rune that got broken off when the Night rune battles the Sun rune like the dawn and twilight runes; and in Suikoden II the two halves of the Rune of Begginging doesnt grant Riou or Jowy agelessness. I guess youre right that youre right about each rune being different though.
Because the two Runes of Riou and Jowy aren't simply halves of the True Rune, but.. well somethign different. Twilight and Dawn Rune also don't grant agelessness.

Mh I always thought the Flame Champion sealed away his rune at a rather high age, not directly after the war. The Gensopedia contradicts itself in some points, so I don't know.

After thinking a bit about the subject.. I dont have any idea. My guess would be that you continue to age normally after you got rid of the True Rune.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

But didnt he want to grow old with Sana and die? I would have thought that as soon as the war ended he searched for a way to seal his rune into his staff and did it as soon as he was able to, incase the True Fire rune went uncontrollable again...
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Once you lose a True Rune you start playing catch-up with the age you're at, but the longer you've had your Rune the stronger the connection between the two and the longer the effects linger.

Ted had his for the better part of 300 years, he survives a couple of years without it from when he gives it to Tir and meet again at Seek Valley, but he also says that he's being kept alive by Windy's magic so he might have already died if not for her.

For the Fire Hero we don't know when he died, but for the level of advancement people aren't likely to live much beyond 60. Sylvina also mentions that humans "only live 50 years or so". So even if he lived to be 60 he would have lived his natural life meaning he would still have been dead for 20+ years when Hugo and co. come knocking. There's also the unknown nature of the technique he used, it might have adverse effects as well.

The Zodiac Sword doesn't grant agelessness, but it also never rusts or needs sharpening. Basically the sword itself is ageless. Same goes for Barbarossa's Sovereign Rune, Barbarossa isn't ageless but his sword is.

The Blue Moon never considers Neclord it's owner and it shared the agelessness to everyone when it was enshrined in the Blue Moon Village. Vampires in Suikoden are not immortal aside from Sierra, they just live exceptionally long.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

how long do you think that someone like geddoe or jimba would live for after their runes where taken if jimba hadnt been killed or geddoe get his rune back?