Suikoden's Fashion Sense

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Chaco

Re: Suikoden's Fashion Sense

Post by Chaco »

Riou gives me a normal boy outfit that shows not all heroes hafta be all magical and such
EXACTLY!!!
Tir's headware was pretty weird but it fit him very well, in a good thing as it looked pretty good on him.
I dunno, you gotta like those Yellow Pants :lol:
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
DaveyJ

Post by DaveyJ »

Good
Rina - Suikoden 2: The dress could've been really bad but that nice green fabric draped around it saved it. Very exotic.

Sheena - Suikoden 2: I'm not sure how I feel about the tight undershirt, but the rest of the outfit is great.

Luc - Suikoden 3: I thought this outfit was totally awesome. The colors work together quite nicely. Also his coat deserves applause because it is both fashionable and it functions well. He won't be tripping on himself in the middle of battle.

Aila - Suikoden 3: I am totally digging the Karaya village's fashion sense. I would have put Hugo up if his pants didn't make me think of MC Hammer. She also proves that you can be fashionable and functional at the same time

Futch - Suikoden 3: Its funny to see him all grown up. Clearly his fashion sense has evolved with his age though. He has a good amount of belts without it seeming Tetsuya Nomura-ish. (Not that its a bad thing in my opinion, but some people find his designs a bit overwhelming in the accessory department.)

Queen - Suikoden 3: This outfit is age appropriate, functional, and just cool. I like how it plays a bit with some fringe, and the colors go nicely together.

Kika - Suikoden 4: She is bringing back the pirate look. And is pulling it off quite well. Nothing exceptional about it, but it works nicely.

Snow - Suikoden 4 (Pirate outfit): At least he got this outfit right, unlike his friend...

Lyon - Suikoden 5: The outfit has a nice flow to it with the bow and sleeves. However, it is highly impractical. She will be tripping over herself in battle all the time with that giant bow on her back.

Minen - Suikoden Tierkreis: Love everything except for the giant red... swarm of fabric devouring her.

Yula - Suikoden Tierkreis: Very traditional, can't go wrong with that. Unless your traditional clothing is the type a Narcissist would wear.

Crodechild - Suikoden Tierkreis: Very functional, yet the blue and yellow bring a lot of life to the design.

Jale - Suikoden Tierkreis: This is the way to do a warm colored pant. Have the color be muted so that it doesn't burn our eyes! Take note of this McDohl <.< I'm not too sure about the hat though.

Marica - Suikoden Tierkreis: Bringing the belt cloth thing up to right below the bust is great for making her legs look longer. Not sure about the hair...

Bad - now for the fun part

Clive - Suikoden 1&2: We know you are trying to be discreet and secretive, but seriously, it draws MORE attention than if you wore normal clothes. If you were running down the street it would look like a giant whirlwind of fabric. And you would definitely trip.

Gremio - Suikoden 1&2: That blue outfit with that NASTY BRIGHT GREEN CAPE?! No. Just no.

Jeane - Suikoden... 1-5 (except 3): I'm sure all the guys will hate me but oh well. There is NO way those breasts do not fall out. You'd be flashing everyone! Public indecency! The only good outfit is from the 3rd game, but they really needed heels.

Jowy - Suikoden 2: As much as I love this character... those fugly white pants killed it for me. Also, it looks SO PLAIN.

Lazlo - Suikoden 4: The shorts. That's all I am going to say.

Paula - Suikoden 4: The monochromatic color scheme just doesn't work. That and the entire design is just wrong.

Selma - Suikoden 4: The majority of the outfit isn't too bad. But the hair. GOD THE HAIR.

Mun Tsang - Suikoden Tierkreis: What the heck made you think having a giant... husk on you was attractive? I have no idea how to describe it. It is just awful. If she just took that off, then it would be a neat Silk Fox from Jade Empire kind of design.

Eunice - Suikoden Tierkreis: Everything waist up is great. BUT WHAT THE HECK IS WITH THOSE GIANT PANTS?! Good GOD.

Liu - Suikoden Tierkreis: Waist down, everything is pretty good. But the weird cape, the pointy shoulders, and that bare torso are just mad ugly. We get the belly shirt thing is popular, but there is just too much torso showing. I understand that the designer...

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

wanted the tattoos to show up but it wasn't necessary to show THAT much torso.

*** End of Spoiler Alert ***

And that ends my fashion critique... I had way too much fun with this X_X
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Snow - Suikoden 4 (Pirate outfit): At least he got this outfit right, unlike his friend...
Lmao. That's like a BAZING! for Snowe. Made him look really good. Oh god Lazlo running with those shorts is traumatizing...
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Which outfit? His pirate and noble outfits literally rocked! On the opposite, his knight armor sucked.

That poor costume of his sucked as well but had a cool sad image of him.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

I love Kahn's outfit in Suikoden 2. He's just got that big heavy coat, and his posture in battle is just so cool.

Lilly was awesome in S3, loved her hat. Chris was pretty good too, the knights had a pretty solid outfit. I liked Miklotov and Camus' outfits in S2, but having a group of knights with a standardized outfit made them seem like more of a group to me.

I hate Lazlo's short shorts though.
DaveyJ

Post by DaveyJ »

Yeah Snowe's poor outfit made him look pathetic. Which was the job so it worked out well.

Everyone seems to be in unanimous agreement about Lazlo's shorts XD
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

DaveyJ wrote:Yeah Snowe's poor outfit made him look pathetic. Which was the job so it worked out well.

Everyone seems to be in unanimous agreement about Lazlo's shorts XD
Yep and one day we intend to burn them and force him to get better ones XP

Hey babycakes ;D
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

IMO, Suikoden I and IV are tied for having the worst and the blandest outfits in the entire series. SII is a step above them, followed by SIII, then SV having the best looking attires.

Best Outfits
SI Male - Maas
Mass actually managed to work a beret and a tunic together! That takes some class and some skill, which is why I voted him as best dressed male in SI.

SI Female - Sonya Schulen
Sonya actually looks good in her armor due to its color scheme and the little blue skirt that suspends below her armor.

SII Male - Jess
Jess actually has class amidst an army of barbarians. I love the whole formal look he has what with the tie, dress pants, and dress shoes. However, he seems a little laid back since he wears a vest alone, without the suit.

SII Female - Anita
Just like with Sonya, she can pull off wearing armor and a dress at the same time. Plus, her dress is purple, my fave color!

SIII Male - Nadir
He really looks like an early century nobleman. I love his black and white color scheme, not to mention his silver hair. Even the mask actually goes well with the outfit and doesn't look TOO creepy.

SIII Female - Jeane
She actually dresses with some class in the installment. Actually, she has a lot of class compared to the slutty clothes she has in the other games.

SIV Male - Trishtan
Trishtan wins for best dressed male in SIV due to his combined look of decency and flippancy. Unlike most of the males who are way too unruly or much too formal, Trishtan has, what seems, like a leather vest atop a sleeveless shirt, both with colors that compliment each other. For his bottom, he dons a baggy pair of pants which I much rather prefer to short-shorts (Lazlo, Nalleo) or tights (Snowe Pirate Set, Ugetsu).

SIV Female - Ameria
Well, Ameria was the most classy dressed out of a cast of females with a bad sense of fashion (Jeane's slutty look, Rene's excavator suit, Pecola's drab clothes paired with a ridiculous hairstyle, etc.).

SV Male - Egbert Aethelbald
Egbert may be crazy, but I love his toy soldier uniform look! His green and red suit is absolutely dashing and I love his belt/sash thingy. His pantaloons are not as pronounced as Nadir's (which work for Nadir, but not anyone else) and that hat is just adorable!!

SV Female - Linfa
Chinese dresses are absolutely elegant, and Linfa pulls off the look easily. What contributes to her being the best dressed female is the silk glove she dons on her left arm and her exposed legs. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Worst Outfits
SI Male - Juppo
He looks like a damned fool.

SI Female - Meg
Ditto.

SII Male - Gengen
He looks like a boy scout and I don't like that look.

SII Female - Teresa
Teresa is pretty. She really is. And she has a beautiful dress to boot. However, what kills her the most are those damned gloves she wears. Those do NOT go with her dress whatsoever. They make her look extremely foolish, IMO and had she not had those, she would've easily been the best dressed. Now, I understand there were other females who dressed worse than Teresa (Meg, Ayda, Hanna etc.), however, those females don't try in the slightest to look good. Teresa tried, however, and it failed, thus, why I gave her the worst dressed female in SII.

SIII Male - Kenji
NO TANKS. NO SWEATS. NO CHANCE FOR LOOKING GOOD ESPECIALLY WITH A SICKENINGLY LIME GREEN AND PINK COLOR SCHEME.

SIII Female - Iku
The pantaloons. I hate them. Her hips look WAY too big in them.

SIV Male - Brec
Tattered clothes? Fail.

SIV Female - Helga
Tattered clothes that were sown with crappy looking patches? Epic fail.

SV Male - Norden
It wasn't that he was badly dressed, but when in a game where most of the characters have great looking clothes, plain is just as bad as bad.

SV Female - Nelis
Let me just start by saying, I hate the Obel Nation's soldier's uniform. It looked bad in IV and I'm a bit miffed that they brought them back in V. Especially with 3 characters that actually join your party this time. However, Yahr actually looked alright in his. Bernadette was pushing it. Then Nelis came and broke the last straw. How foolish she looks in that silly cone shaped hat with a cape, of all things, attached to it. If it weren't for this one piece of garment, Bernadette would've been the worst dressed of the three, but now, that belongs to Nelis.
Hmm... Didn't make much money. Next time, let's get rich! - Rachel
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

SI Male - Juppo
He looks like a damned fool.
Short and Precise. Love how you blurted it that way.

He DOES look like one of those eye-raping toys from the 90s....

Hey babycakes ;D
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Let's see what I can remember....

I really like what Tir looks like in S2, and I really don't like what Riou is wearing in S2...the bandana with the short pants, boots, and gloves is just...yeah.

For Suikoden 3 (which i'm playing so it's fresh in my mind) there are very few that are poorly dressed, I think that the character design was fantastic for this game.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I think overall Suikoden as a series has been pretty good about designing the outfits for the characters but there are a few who are just out of wack. Number 1 violator is Kenji in SIII I mean come on he looks as bad as Richard Simmons. I think someone mentioned this above but also Gremio it seems that they wanted to use a different color for everything on him. Green cape, blue clothes, red handled axe, with yellow hair. I can't think of too many more who really stand out but yes Kenji is the worst looking character in the series.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
The fighting 108

Post by The fighting 108 »

Auragaea wrote: SV Female - Nelis
Let me just start by saying, I hate the Obel Nation's soldier's uniform. It looked bad in IV and I'm a bit miffed that they brought them back in V. Especially with 3 characters that actually join your party this time. However, Yahr actually looked alright in his. Bernadette was pushing it. Then Nelis came and broke the last straw. How foolish she looks in that silly cone shaped hat with a cape, of all things, attached to it. If it weren't for this one piece of garment, Bernadette would've been the worst dressed of the three, but now, that belongs to Nelis.
She's dressed like she has some hidden 'torpedo' mode that you can unlock for the tactical battles! It'd be an Obel specialty technique that kept them in power after the rune cannons were destroyed! Woe be it to those that underestimate the hydrodynamical power of the cone helmet!

Yeah she gets my vote for the worse dressed, along with the whole bully's eye wearing guard core of Obel.

My vote for the best dressed is definitely the SIII Yuber. Nice and sveldt in the no nonsense black garb and bowler combo!
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I agree 100%... and the award for best dressed goes to no other than Yuber. Oriental Black suit with the white stripe and cuffs, Top Hat with a blonde pony tail with two killer blades.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I disagree...yet again. Sure, Yuber looks cool, but it's focking Yuber! Why is he wearing a shitty suit instead of rad black armor?

It reminded me a lot of what final fantasy has done . Look at Cecil, Kain, Cyan, they're all armored out their asses. Then look at Cloud, Barrett, Cid, Squall, etc...they changed from armor to street clothes that woudl do nothing in battle.

Yuber went from wearing sick black armor (his trademark) to a stupid black suit. So on that principle alone, he's the worst dressed in the game. Anyone else wearing that would be best dressed, but not him.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
The fighting 108

Post by The fighting 108 »

Icegryphon wrote:I disagree...yet again. Sure, Yuber looks cool, but it's focking Yuber! Why is he wearing a shitty suit instead of rad black armor?

It reminded me a lot of what final fantasy has done . Look at Cecil, Kain, Cyan, they're all armored out their asses. Then look at Cloud, Barrett, Cid, Squall, etc...they changed from armor to street clothes that woudl do nothing in battle.

Yuber went from wearing sick black armor (his trademark) to a stupid black suit. So on that principle alone, he's the worst dressed in the game. Anyone else wearing that would be best dressed, but not him.
You mean the impractical mish mosh of cliched black gold trimmed armor that every evil villain's second banana has been wearing since Lodoss?

If that's your thing then more power to you. I for one like the progress thats been made in taking our heroes out of these ridiculously spike festooned tin cans.