Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Gen. Dirge

Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Post by Gen. Dirge »

This goes out to all the Suikodens....

Which game had the best named characters? And I'm talking about names that really made sense. Also, which game had the worst named characters? Do you have a lot to say about them? Please speak out and be heard~!

Also, if this is a repeated topic, please rectify me.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Quing

Re: Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Post by Quing »

What exactly do you mean by "made sense"? Are you talking about names where the meaning of the name or the sharing of the name (such as, say, the sharing of Charlemagne's name with the incredible Frankish emperor) is particularly appropriate, or are you simply talking about names that seem to fit the character for undefined reasons?
Black knight overlord

Post by Black knight overlord »

I think 2 had a lot of names that made sense, like Yuber and Pesmerga, I couldnt picture Jowys name being any different. Plus Victor and Flick. Are there any really bad names in the series?
cause I cant think of any.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

well... since I don't think there Is any bad named Chraracters, maybe you, Gen Dirge can tell us what you think so we can debate over it. Never know, you might get this somewhere
Nick Bruiser
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

I personally always hated the name Jowy... I pronounce it like Joey, and to me, the name Joey sounds very childish. Like Mikey, Petey, Davey, Bobby, Billy, Danny, etc. it's a diminutive, and I kind of associate it with a 10-year-old kid. The other name in the series I always hated was Futch, sounds a bit too much like fudge to me, and I'm sure I'm not the first to immediately think of "what the futch?!" when I say or hear the name. Also, much as I like the character, I don't really like the name Flik. Sounds kind of like a sound effect, kind of like Zing or something. As for names I really like, I always loved Schtolteheim Reinbach as the joke name throughout the series, and it was great when they introduced the real ones in S4... making the IIIrd a narcissist seemed very appropriate as well. I also wonder why, with the endless naming possibilities, they reuse names for SoDs... I mean, ya, tons of people in the real world share names, but it would be less confusing if characters had different names (Gordon especially, I'm looking at you!). In general though, I do think the series has some cool and fitting names.
Erk in danger!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The two Gordon are strangely the only pair of SODs with exact same name and spellings.

While they are spelt the same in the localisation, names like Hugo and Sarah were giving minor variation in their katakana spelling in the Japanese version. The Vincents as well.
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

rhombus wrote:I personally always hated the name Jowy... I pronounce it like Joey, and to me, the name Joey sounds very childish. Like Mikey, Petey, Davey, Bobby, Billy, Danny, etc. it's a diminutive, and I kind of associate it with a 10-year-old kid. The other name in the series I always hated was Futch, sounds a bit too much like fudge to me, and I'm sure I'm not the first to immediately think of "what the futch?!" when I say or hear the name. Also, much as I like the character, I don't really like the name Flik. Sounds kind of like a sound effect, kind of like Zing or something. As for names I really like, I always loved Schtolteheim Reinbach as the joke name throughout the series, and it was great when they introduced the real ones in S4... making the IIIrd a narcissist seemed very appropriate as well. I also wonder why, with the endless naming possibilities, they reuse names for SoDs... I mean, ya, tons of people in the real world share names, but it would be less confusing if characters had different names (Gordon especially, I'm looking at you!). In general though, I do think the series has some cool and fitting names.
Now THAT's what I'm talking about......

Anyways, no offense to anyone of you guys but I think Suikoden V had alot of very weird named characters.....I never really took a liking to names like "Dilber Novum", "Dolph"(sounds quite silly....), "Volga"(lol) and etc......
.....then there was Suikoden I with names like "Sydonia"(and a GUY has that name?!), "Windy" (They should've given her a more better name since 'Windy' sounds like that of a fairytale character which doesn't make her sound scary or threatening when she really is.)...and etc....

Hey babycakes ;D
Quing

Post by Quing »

Ah, I see.

Well, let's see... I didn't think the name Blackman was very good, and I think that the only well-named blacksmiths in the first Suikoden were Maas and Mose. Naming a blacksmith Mace? Terrible! I actually didn't like the name Schtoltheim Reinbach III being attached to the person it was, either. Reinbach just seems too dainty for that name. It fit Viktor much better. Likewise, Charlemagne didn't really fit either.

I quite approve of both Vincent de Boule and Augustine, though Nabor is a terrible last name for Augustine. Mathiu Silverburg was a wonderful name. Indeed, all the Silverburgs had fitting names. I also think that the royal family in Suikoden V all had great names. Except Elmelark. Great name for a ship, terrible name for a queen. And the name Georg would have been great if they hadn't kept mispronouncing it George. Gizel sounds too much like gazelle for my tastes, though Godwin is an excellent familial name. And Egbert Aethelbald? Perfect. One could not do better. As far as the Barows family is concerned, Luserina is a beautiful name and Euram is fitting, but Salum is not. And the last name is too close to Barrows to have the family be so happy.

Also, Michafute, Takefute, and Mismar are all awesome names. Nether Gate was great when it came to naming people.
Mackasplaff

Post by Mackasplaff »

Alhazred must be the most wicked name in SV at least. Just love everything about him, so damn funny. Always yabbin about tomes, even when i had him die in battle once he screamed something about tomes.

Bad name i would say Gremio, sounds like a genital disease or something....
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Mackasplaff wrote:Alhazred must be the most wicked name in SV at least. Just love everything about him, so damn funny. Always yabbin about tomes, even when i had him die in battle once he screamed something about tomes.

Bad name i would say Gremio, sounds like a genital disease or something....
Hahahhaaa....lol....
We used to make fun of him that he had a super-evil twin brother named "Germio"....

And wait.....Elmelark was the name of a QUEEN?! WTH?! And I thought it was just some random name for a sea-going vessel....

Although I really REALLY think that people from the Island Nations and countries above Dunan(Not Dunan people themselves.) had great names....

Hey babycakes ;D
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

rhombus wrote:I personally always hated the name Jowy... I pronounce it like Joey, and to me, the name Joey sounds very childish. Like Mikey, Petey, Davey, Bobby, Billy, Danny, etc. it's a diminutive, and I kind of associate it with a 10-year-old kid. The other name in the series I always hated was Futch, sounds a bit too much like fudge to me, and I'm sure I'm not the first to immediately think of "what the futch?!" when I say or hear the name. Also, much as I like the character, I don't really like the name Flik. Sounds kind of like a sound effect, kind of like Zing or something. As for names I really like, I always loved Schtolteheim Reinbach as the joke name throughout the series, and it was great when they introduced the real ones in S4... making the IIIrd a narcissist seemed very appropriate as well. I also wonder why, with the endless naming possibilities, they reuse names for SoDs... I mean, ya, tons of people in the real world share names, but it would be less confusing if characters had different names (Gordon especially, I'm looking at you!). In general though, I do think the series has some cool and fitting names.
Wasn't there a Billy in S3? And so....yes, I agree....those names sounded better if used on children. But I guess Jowy's parents never really thought about their son growing up into a fine young man and still retaining the name of a cute lil bugger....not befitting his image.

Let that be a warning to all aspiring parents....never name your kids with kiddie names, thinking that they'll remain toddlers forever....

Hey babycakes ;D
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

Well, Billy's kind of an exception, cause it's evocative of Billy the Kid and hence outlaws, cowboys, etc. S3's Billy certainly looks and acts the part, so it's pretty fitting for him.
Erk in danger!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Gen. Dirge wrote:And wait.....Elmelark was the name of a QUEEN?! WTH?! And I thought it was just some random name for a sea-going vessel....
The vessel was named after the Queen. It's the same with Khorshed.
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

patapi wrote:
Gen. Dirge wrote:And wait.....Elmelark was the name of a QUEEN?! WTH?! And I thought it was just some random name for a sea-going vessel....
The vessel was named after the Queen. It's the same with Khorshed.
What object is named after Khorshed?

Hey babycakes ;D
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The first ship that you see when you start a new game; the one that they took on their way back from Lordlake.