Dr. Mathiu Silverberg

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Dr. Mathiu Silverberg

Post by KFCrispy »

the entire scene introducing Mathiu was translated so poorly.. he is described as a doctor and surgeon the entire time while i'm sure the japanese version was actually referring to him being a strategist.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Dr. Mathiu Silverberg

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

They mistranslate "Strategist" into "Medical Officer" through the whole game.

Probably the word in the Japanese game is gunshi (strategist) but the translator read it as guni (military physician).
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

You'd think the translators would have noticed when they started talking about Liukan. Isn't he supposed to be a doctor?

When I was younger I was always confused and wanted to know why Mathiu couldn't just do the job that they hired Liukan to do. I figured he just wan't a very good doctor and Liukan was better. But I didn't really bat an eye to the fact he was always giving advice about the war. I mean on Star Trek "Bones" is always putting in his two cents.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. I just finished replaying the first Suikoden, and that caught my eye. I just figured Mathiu could multi-task :lol:
PSN: FreshMetal80
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

Eh, I never even noticed it! Maybe they corrected it in the PAL version?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Silver Dragon Flik wrote:Eh, I never even noticed it! Maybe they corrected it in the PAL version?
No.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

lol im playing through suikoden again and came across this 'battle surgeon' thing.. yeesh. I somehow had completely forgot about this. I really would love to see these games translated properly some day. This and especially 2 have some serious screw ups. This ones just exceptionally dumb though. Any semblance of common sense would tell you Mathiu is obviously a strategist. Why the hell would a' battlefield surgeon' as they call him orchestrate all your battles and come up with all your military strategies o_O

I love how the people in his starting village call him Doc =P

Did they just have no QC at all back then?
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

kenshindono wrote:lol im playing through suikoden again and came across this 'battle surgeon' thing.. yeesh. I somehow had completely forgot about this. I really would love to see these games translated properly some day. This and especially 2 have some serious screw ups. This ones just exceptionally dumb though. Any semblance of common sense would tell you Mathiu is obviously a strategist. Why the hell would a' battlefield surgeon' as they call him orchestrate all your battles and come up with all your military strategies o_O

I love how the people in his starting village call him Doc =P

Did they just have no QC at all back then?

Trust me, it's been worse fark ups than that!
Humphrey Mintz
Location: Rotherham, England. Originally Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

Haha I actually miss those translators. Engrish in Suikoden was amazing. Medical Officer was a cute title haha. It made him seem even friendlier. And if those translators weren't on the job, he may not have ever gave me my favourite quote of the series (see sig) and that would be sad. Suikoden and Suikoden II always made me smile with those little mistakes. I thought they were a warm welcome to the series I love so much.
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

"All this killing... in front of a children!" - Mathiu Silverburg, Suikoden

"ᵍËMᵐʰ" - Futch, Suikoden II
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Yes, quite nice Medical Officer that made countless people die in the Kalekka incident!

Quite reminds me of the all so famous "All your base are belong to us!"
Humphrey Mintz
Location: Rotherham, England. Originally Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

Hmmm, true. But that incident changed him and he seems to be living in regret because of it. And yes!! I'm a big fan of any and all Engrish but that's one of the classics. In fact, I think that's what got me into the whole thing haha.
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

"All this killing... in front of a children!" - Mathiu Silverburg, Suikoden

"ᵍËMᵐʰ" - Futch, Suikoden II
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

I noticed that but always just dismissed it,figuring that "Medical Officer" and a Military Strategist were one in the same,or at least dangerously similar.
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
FoggyNotion

Post by FoggyNotion »

My theory the first time I played the game was that Mathiu was a medic that ended up having a knack for military strategy, so he switched careers.
Belle

Post by Belle »

lol, yeah

First time through, I mistakenly thought he was a jack of all trades... doctor, teacher, strategist :P

He apparently is also a marathon runner when it comes to missions involving the delivery of written letters to certain uncles in destroyed towns.