Suikoden II Best Ending just doesn't set well with me

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Calvin

Re: Suikoden II Best Ending just doesn't set well with me

Post by Calvin »

I always imagined that Riou ended up with Ellie and they grew old together. I mean, he can't wander the world with Jowy and Nanami forever, right?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Calvin wrote:I always imagined that Riou ended up with Ellie and they grew old together. I mean, he can't wander the world with Jowy and Nanami forever, right?
Ellie from the Banner village inn? I thought she was more interested in Tir.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Who is Nanami going to date? No one ever speculated on that. Perhaps Hai Yo because she can't cook so he would be in charge of the kitchen instead?
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Who would date Nanami? Maybe she and Hoi temporarily became a couple after the war, because Hoi’s ending goes “Decided to retire from life of thievery but soon realized that was a terrible mistake.” Or perhaps she follows Camus, the first (maybe only) guy who treated her as a lady, to the grasslands.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
BrucePrintscreen

I'd date Nanami, I would not marry her or something but I'm sure she would be an exciting girlfriend for some time. She would certainly break up after the initial fun is gone anyway and move on to the next brother figure.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Nanami could date Koyu when he's a bit older. I think a feisty barbaric dude would be a better match for her than a civilized gentlemanly knight.

As for the heroes, I reckon they're not into fighter chicks and tomboys. They like more mature women who can take charge of a situation without needing to pick up a weapon or cast any spells. That's why they go for innkeepers and proprietress types - they've been out fighting all day, they want a hot mama to come home to for some comfort.

Tir has been growing up across the street from Marie's inn, and he was oggling her whenever his dad took him there for lunch. notice that she's always telling Tir off for hanging around there when he should be at home. He don't want Gremio's stew, he's more interested in Marie's buns.

When Riou first meets Leona, she says "come back in a few years, I'll be happy to teach you a few things!" and of course, he holds her to that promise. He also likes a bit of Emilia, who takes charge of the college, and that bossy woman who runs the dorms.

For Hugo there's Anne the pub owner, the most beautiful woman in the Karayan village (apart from Hugo's mum). Hugo is used to meeting women who can beat the crap out of men, but what he really wants to know is how to handle his liquor when he's older, so he hopes to pick up some pointers from Anne.

When Lazlo first meets Louise, she tells him she rather fancies that look in his eye. And she's got a bit more meat on her bones than those scrawny girls he grew up with in the knighthood, so he's quite happy to hang around her tavern. She also bosses Cedric and Akaghi around, and a leader likes a woman who can keep his troops in line.

The prince wants Belcoot to become his brother in law so that Marina will stay available and become his serving wench. Unfortunately, she turns out to be a bit too obsessed with Belcoot, and when we see how jealous she becomes towards other women, the prince realizes he's better off without her.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

sticky-runes wrote:
Calvin wrote:I always imagined that Riou ended up with Ellie and they grew old together. I mean, he can't wander the world with Jowy and Nanami forever, right?
Ellie from the Banner village inn? I thought she was more interested in Tir.
Whoops, of course I meant Eilie, Rina's sister! I even wrote a fanfic about it once. In it Jowy had died I think.
BrucePrintscreen

sticky-runes wrote:Nanami could date Koyu when he's a bit older. I think a feisty barbaric dude would be a better match for her than a civilized gentlemanly knight.

As for the heroes, I reckon they're not into fighter chicks and tomboys. They like more mature women who can take charge of a situation without needing to pick up a weapon or cast any spells. That's why they go for innkeepers and proprietress types - they've been out fighting all day, they want a hot mama to come home to for some comfort.

Tir has been growing up across the street from Marie's inn, and he was oggling her whenever his dad took him there for lunch. notice that she's always telling Tir off for hanging around there when he should be at home. He don't want Gremio's stew, he's more interested in Marie's buns.

When Riou first meets Leona, she says "come back in a few years, I'll be happy to teach you a few things!" and of course, he holds her to that promise. He also likes a bit of Emilia, who takes charge of the college, and that bossy woman who runs the dorms.

For Hugo there's Anne the pub owner, the most beautiful woman in the Karayan village (apart from Hugo's mum). Hugo is used to meeting women who can beat the crap out of men, but what he really wants to know is how to handle his liquor when he's older, so he hopes to pick up some pointers from Anne.

When Lazlo first meets Louise, she tells him she rather fancies that look in his eye. And she's got a bit more meat on her bones than those scrawny girls he grew up with in the knighthood, so he's quite happy to hang around her tavern. She also bosses Cedric and Akaghi around, and a leader likes a woman who can keep his troops in line.

The prince wants Belcoot to become his brother in law so that Marina will stay available and become his serving wench. Unfortunately, she turns out to be a bit too obsessed with Belcoot, and when we see how jealous she becomes towards other women, the prince realizes he's better off without her.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
You know Sticky, if you wrote fanfictions, I would actually read them!
cws

Post by cws »

Anyone who want to date that tomboyish, rubbish mind, overreact, uglyface Nanami show that he had a bad sense of taste as she will keep misguide them with her rubbish thinking
BrucePrintscreen

cws wrote:Anyone who want to date that tomboyish, rubbish mind, overreact, uglyface Nanami show that he had a bad sense of taste as she will keep misguide them with her rubbish thinking
Thanks for educating us on good taste - you are definitely the right person for that - but do not worry, we are not the kind to be guided by our girlfriends except if Valeria wants to play master & servant with me tonight or something like that.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

And Eilie is supposed to be some prize chick? did you see her lame attempt at comforting Riou during Nanami's treatment?
Riou doesn't want some gypo from the circus. He'd rather be sandwiched between Leona and Emilia.
BrucePrintscreen

Oh Eilie is cute, I would have fallen for her when I was her age. She would have been a perfect highschool sweetheart.
But now that I am Georg's age, it's a Valeria/Odessa burger or nothing.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Actually my Riou refused to become a facility dweller, instead himself becoming a “gypo” and going on a journey. He could as well have asked the circus gang to accompany him, I mean they were amiable and trustworthy.
cws wrote:Anyone who want to date that tomboyish, rubbish mind, overreact, uglyface Nanami show that he had a bad sense of taste as she will keep misguide them with her rubbish thinking
Nanami is a 15 or 16 year-old girl (which is why I wouldn’t date her). Genkaku taught her a lot, but of course he couldn’t teach femininity. Do you really want her to talk and act like an experienced and rational 30 year old woman? Nanami has probably the most dialogue of all S2 characters, so Murayama has certainly given a lot of thought into that character. She is exactly as she’s supposed to be. Her juvenileness does actually make her authentic.

I believe Murayama tried to make the player love Nanami at first, then get a little annoyed over time, but then make the player regret it when Nanami was seriously injured. It didn’t work on some people, as they hated Nanami from beginning to end. At the same time it didn’t work on others who loved Nanami from beginning to end. Nanami is one of the most memorable characters of the series, along with Viktor, Flik, Luc, Jeane, Georg, and Qlon :wink:
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:Oh Eilie is cute, I would have fallen for her when I was her age. She would have been a perfect highschool sweetheart.

Riou doesn't exactly return any of Eilie's affections, though. the player gets one opportunity to flirt with her, and it uses the term "ladies" meaning Eilie AND her older, hotter sister. Then throughout the game you get opportunities to flirt with other female characters (possibly in front of Eilie if she's in your party during those events) Doesn't bode well for Eilie.
BrucePrintscreen wrote:But now that I am Georg's age, it's a Valeria/Odessa burger or nothing.
Ah, but Georg Prime didn't become an expert swordsman by playing with the girls ;)
BrucePrintscreen

Since we're talking about these kind of things, now that I am playing Suikoden 4 again, I just noticed how gorgeous the girls are in this game. Mizuki really has something special. Mitsuba is actually very sexy. Even Rita could be a perfect example of that girl who got your first time in school, and I tend to shun anything looking like a lolita. The guys who did character designs on Suikoden 4 did an excellent job cause even a notorious fan of mature and strong women like me could feel something for these dynamic and bombastic young ladies. And Flare really has something too, what a classy girl, she's really dignified and strong, very appealing.

Wolkie, your analysis of Nanami and how she was written is really excellent, I totally second you on this and thanks for such an interesting opinion. It's refreshing to read, and I totally agree with you that she's one of the most memorable characters in Suikoden.