Story ratings for each Suikoden

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Vermillion.Twilight

Re: Story ratings for each Suikoden

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

Note these ratings I based on story alone.

Suikoden 1: 10
Suikoden 2: 10
Suikoden 3: 9.5
Suikoden 4: 8.5
Suikoden 5: 9.2

Suikoden Tactics: 7.0

Suikogaiden: 9.5
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Vermillion.Twilight wrote:Note these ratings I based on story alone.

Suikoden 1: 10
Suikoden 2: 10
Suikoden 3: 9.5
Suikoden 4: 8.5
Suikoden 5: 9.2

Suikoden Tactics: 7.0

Suikogaiden: 9.5
Vermillion.Twilight, please don't just post lists as they do not encourage discussion and list topics are not allowed here. Note that others posting in this thread have given reasons for their ratings.
Baralai24

Post by Baralai24 »

Suikoden 1 - 7/10 I thought the game went to fast and wasnt as challenging compared to the other Suikodens .

Suikoden 2 - 10/10 It was by far the best Suikoden i have ever played and in my opinion my favourite game to date, I strongly recommend getting your hands on this .

Suikoden 3 - 9/10 Many people were unhappy with this one but i thought the story and the trinity sight of the 3 main characters was brilliant .

Suikoden 4 - 5/10 Was so annoying ! ehh so much travelling on the sea, it Killed Me .

Suikoden 5 - 9/10 Suikoden V was truly great, a real improvement from Suikoden 4 the storyline seemed well thought and planned i enjoyed this Suikoden .
Please Take Care And Try To Avoid Any Big Suprises .

I'm Always Afraid The One Day Those Heavy Eyebrows Of Yours,

Will Fall Right Off .
i-heart-percival

Post by i-heart-percival »

these are out of 10pts, and these are just my opinion:

S1: 8/10 because it was the first one i played and it got me into the series...i enjoyed the storyline
S2: 10/10 because it had a better storyline and i can play it over and over
S3: 9/10 because the storyline was great and all, it took forever because i hated doing each of the different scenarios, plus the one with luc was a bore, although it answered many of my questions on luc
S4: 5/10 because there was a short storyline, too short of gameplay, and the characters were too plain and boring
Tactics: 5/10 because the same reason as S4, also that kyril's mom was yohn! insane in the membrane! it took less than 4 hours to basically find THAT out!?
S5: 10/10 because the storyline kept me in the game and wanting to know more about what was going to happen...plus the characters had more depth to them and gets you more involved, plus the gameplay was cool with having 4 support characters instead of 1
i-heart-percival

Post by i-heart-percival »

lechaflan wrote:it's a little over 2 years since the original post so i'm sure the TC all ready played most if not all the series. in any case, this my opinion.

S1: 8.5/10. very good start to the series. soul eater is such a cool rune.
S2: 9.5/10. the main idea of you fighting your best friend is incredible. woulda gave it a 10 if there was more character development and a talking riou. and the fact that you kill who probably a lot of ppl think would be the last boss about 60% through the story is quite possibly the most interesting approach to such a badass character. the ambush on luca had to be the best idea in the game.
S3: 8.0/10. best presented and interesting approach to a suikoden story. somewhat wild arms-like but i like the fact that the leaders do talk so you can actually understand them better as to why they're fitting to be leaders. not a fan of the battle system and i don't like the world map. doesn't feel explorative.
S4: 4.5/10. a good game by itself but it's just not suikoden to me especially because of the basic battle mechanics. presentation was nowhere near as good as 3. there's so much potential to feel bad for lazlo and understand snowe but it felt completely rushed and knowing that lazlo is one of four suikoden silent protagonists doesn't help. boring world map + lack of islands = terrible exploration. the ideas were there and it had a lot of potential but it just didn't deliver.
S5: 9.3/10. the scenes within the game gave it a lot of flavor. roy's death scene had to be the most powerful scene in the game. the multiple bad endings also make you think. the fact that we have an explicit royal tenkai is also pretty darn cool.

haven't touched tactics yet

i don't even agree whatsoever on the whole suikoden III being like Wild ARMs because i've played them all and own them all and Wild ARMs has almost the same turned-based fighting system as the other Suikodens EXCEPT for 3 and tactics...
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

i don't even agree whatsoever on the whole suikoden III being like Wild ARMs because i've played them all and own them all and Wild ARMs has almost the same turned-based fighting system as the other Suikodens EXCEPT for 3 and tactics...
I agree with this, Suikoden 3 had the most unique fighting style and it was nothing at all liek Wild Arms. The "pairing" system in Suikoden 3 was totally different.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

Chaco wrote:
I agree with this, Suikoden 3 had the most unique fighting style and it was nothing at all liek Wild Arms. The "pairing" system in Suikoden 3 was totally different.

WORD.

I totally agree.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Kasumi14

Post by Kasumi14 »

Suikoden 1 : 10/10 - The original Suikoden gotta be my favorite - it's the one that sticks with the Water Margin story concept at the most, and I like the classical touch of the story. It's a pretty solid foundation for Suikoden series, and the story for me is the most heart-wrenching.

Suikoden 2 : 8/10 - I enjoyed the gameplay, but not on the story. Probably because of Riou, that I have lack of enjoyment in playing this (I just don't get the leader image from Riou at all).

Suikoden 3 : 7/10 - While it has the most detail in storyline, but it's the most unfamiliar Suikoden for me. The characters are interesting as a whole, but not as individuals, IMO.

Suikoden 4 (paired w/ Tactics) : 8/10 - I'm probably one of the fewest that really enjoy this installment (it's one of my favorite). At first it was kinda dull, and a pain on travelling throughout the sea, but later the gameplay and story really grew on me. While there's probably not much character depth on the minor characters, I think it's an interesting approach in story (naval-bg story, etc). Tactics cleared up a few stuff in S4, I think, so it really enhances the story itself.

Suikoden 5 : 9/10 - Interesting story that touches with royalty directly, and it's the one that I feel the closest in concept with S1. A lot of fun minigames, and characters.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Suikoden 4 (paired w/ Tactics) : 8/10 - I'm probably one of the fewest that really enjoy this installment (it's one of my favorite). At first it was kinda dull, and a pain on travelling throughout the sea, but later the gameplay and story really grew on me. While there's probably not much character depth on the minor characters, I think it's an interesting approach in story (naval-bg story, etc). Tactics cleared up a few stuff in S4, I think, so it really enhances the story itself.
I didn't like 4 much until I played Tactics, then somehow the whole story came alive. I like how you put 4 and Tactics together, they are not whole unless they are together.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
yuberluc

Post by yuberluc »

Suikoden 1 : 6
Suikoden 10 : 10 (The Best Storyline,EVER!)
Suikoden 3 : 9 (The Best Character "Villian" ever)
Suikoden 4 : 3 (sory kawano.. not good in ur first impression )
Suikoden 5 : 8 (Nice one kawano,keep up the good work)
Suikoden Tactics : 6 (i'm not so keen on in tactics system... but nice character design by the way..
Chaos will suit me just fine
avenger

Post by avenger »

Alright, here is my ratings..

Suikoden 1, 10 why? this game starts a great history lesson, as well as having the sadest, interresting story to start. Battle system fun and exciting. Music is very well done.
Characters both evil and good very well based and good growth.
Suikoden 2 10 why? this was the second installment of the series and again it ranks with the best in all departments.
Suikoden 3 10 why? again just listen to the music and see the beauty of it all.
Suikoden 4 8 why? look first off i don't see why most people hate this game. It really bothers me as to why the majority of the population would listen to the crummy reviews.
People are going to give bad reviews to games or anything for that matter, but for the public to actually listen to them, well so be it. as for me, I still give it an 8. It had somethings that even I don't care for but, that won't make me say oh this game stinks..
the game had good characters, the battles were very cool and the story was not that bad. Music was not as good as it should be in a suikoden game but , it was not horrible either.
Suikoden 5 9 Why? this game was very powerfull storywise and character wise. Music was very good but there were some tracks that were not apealling, at least to me that is.

Suikoden tactics this game i give a 7.5 why? well although it explained a lot about Brandeau, it had somethings with it that were not that good for me. The music was good.Characters were good, but I just didn't have much emotion as I did with the series. Let's just say that this tactics game was just not enough for my tastes.
ericm

Post by ericm »

Going to bring back this thread having played 3 of the games recently and replaying another. I have not played number 4, due to the poor reviews. However I am more inclined to play it after what appear to be obvious references to it in number 5.
1: When I first played and beat this game it raised the bar big time for how I approached RPG's. 'Flow' is very important in making this game successful. The characters aren't deep but really they don't need to be, the game gets the job done, getting and then keeping you interested in 108 recruitable characters while quickly advancing the story. On more recent play throughs it's still a great, but short experience. It's flaws are more evident, but taken in context, remains among the best RPGs I've played. But really, it seems to become, above all, a table setter for...
2: When played after the first game (when itself properly completed) this game is simply perfect. Every little thing from the first game is taken and either kept the same (if it ain't broke don't fix) or in many instances, improved upon. I can't say how the experience would be without beating the first game with 108 star and loading its data, but I am pretty sure it wouldn't be nearly as fulfilling. Be that as it may, I imagine the people who loved number 2 (and they are many) also played, if not enjoyed immensely, the first game. The second game improves on old characters, performs classic fan service in the process, uses a wide range of themes, and presents everything in a more adult light. The castle is nearly flawless, I only wish there were maybe 1 or 2 more minigames, though the cookoffs are worth the price of admission alone. If only there were more bath scenes...Again, it's a perfect game with a stunning mixture of minimalism where it should be and deep concepts where it's most important. I look at number 5 and while it's a great game, it is bogged down by the fact that is the product of a more modern technique. Yes it's world is (arguably) bigger, deeper, more character development abound, and a longer more complicated story. Though in writing this actually I am beginning to doubt some particulars here in comparing these two as such.
I am replaying 3 now and I am very much enjoying it so far, but previously I found it to be slow and plodding at times, overall an above average storyline (mostly holding my interest due to occasional, and obviously some very important past cameos). We'll see how it plays out this time through.
Anyway, 2>>1>5>3, so it seems, right now.