Story ratings for each Suikoden

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Miklotov

Post by Miklotov »

Based on plot only..

Suikoden 1: 10
Suikoden 2: 9.5
Suikoden 3: 8.5
Suikoden 4: 6.5
Suikoden Tactics: 5
Suikoden 5: 10

But these ratings are only based on plot the plot of the game..I enjoyed playing each of them.
Luca

Post by Luca »

Suikoden 2-->1-->5-->3-->tactics-->4

I still remember when i played I when i was 11 it was so exciting..

then after playing II i got addicted and became a suikoden fan...(i think it beats the popular game FFVII at that time..in my opinion of cause) :)

When it came to III i was a little disappointed(naturally everyone compared it to II)

Then came the IV......which i began thinking "Hey, maybe III wasn't that bad after all!!" :lol:

Pffff... why can't they understand we were addicted to 2 because of the great storyline that is of great links to 1. I guess thats why 4 was very poorly rated by majority due to the great time divide. (i guess it can't be helped since i heard a staff of important role in creating 1,2 and 3 plots left konami) :( [/b]
Iris

Post by Iris »

A question for all you Suikoden II fans-

What the hell made the storyline so great? Yeah, the game was nice, I guess, but I fail to see how it's the greatest game ever made, especially since Suikoden III was, in my opinion, so much better.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Well to awnswer that question is quite simple. Though suikoden II did lack graphics, the storyline of it was very addicting. Even todays RPGs, we rarely seen the detail of its storyline. Politics, War, Betrayal, Innocents slain, actual countries conquering eachother. These events are like a mirror image of our world and how society has decay in recent years(with the exception of runes/magic ofcourse) Plus we all got tired of the usual Hero saves princess and whatnot. Suikoden III was good, but it had several flaw. Yes it had the politics and war and what not, but it lacked character details compare to S2. Plus the villians made S2 a lot better than S3 =)

Suikoden I - 8.5/10

Suikoden II - 9.5/10

Suikoden III - 8/10

Suikoden IV 6.5-7/10

Suikoden Tactics 7.5-8/10

Suikoden V - 9.4/10

Suikoden IV might've scored the lowest, but I still had a fun time playing the game. I also enjoyed the graphics it had, and how the weapons change in gameplay as you upgrade them.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Iris wrote:A question for all you Suikoden II fans-

What the hell made the storyline so great? Yeah, the game was nice, I guess, but I fail to see how it's the greatest game ever made, especially since Suikoden III was, in my opinion, so much better.
It's just his opinion.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luca

Post by Luca »

Iris wrote:A question for all you Suikoden II fans-

On a more detail....the story is very emotional as it almost fall to the "tragic" category. And that is just a small wheel linking the past suikoden and present but also guides whats to come in III....every aspect of the game is beautifully plotted to perfection!

And villians wise....Simply put, there is only one Luca Blight! :lol:
He is the only one in the series i've seen truly evil with sublime brutality that surpasses even the best strategist Shu's tactics!
It took a whole army attack, 2 ambush, 3 party battle, and a duel with Riou to defeat him, and he did not even use a true rune for those!(darn i hate whoever placed the fireflies in the tree :evil: )
I don't think you can find another boss in the series tough like him.

Luca Blight: "It took hundreds to kill me, but i kill people by thousands!"

In III i was a little disapointed when they polygonised it but i liked the battle system though. Its hard to explain but maybe people with different age playing different series at different time is the answer to their liking.

I've been following the series since i've played the first when i was 11 and i'm 21 years of age now, so i guess people like me would have the same preference? 8)

Oh man i'm glad i played I and II in my kiddo days than kids who play pokemon nowadays. :lol:
linkerman88

Post by linkerman88 »

Well in Suikoden 2.. Something happen with a reason .. not " Hey! im a villian, I have to kill People " type .. IMO

I pretty much like the whole series.. but i still go for 2.. If u tell me to name out all the character name in other suikoden i admit i cant.. but i CAN with Suikoden 2 =D S2 give a person a more deep impression.

SuikodenI dont really give me a very deep impression but.. i wont go into details as u want other suikoden series reviews/opinions..

IMO, Suikoden 5 give me a feeling that im playing Suikoden 2.. and its also did some character in-depth character plot but not as " deep " as SII.. Example, u walk in the castle and saw someone and told urself " Hey ? when did he join? " <-- i got this problems in Suikoden1 too

Suikoden 3 is the reason why i bought my Ps2.. and its not bad after all.. i enjoy the Trinity system acutally.. Thats what i want ! I always wanted to see the plot using another person view, etcs playing SII with Jowy point of view.. join in highland.. Fight alongside with Luca Blight.. well thats what i got in SIII

Suikoden 4 is another game i enjoy.. altough They dint actually explain why Ted is on the ship and why the Soul eater Rune is with that " monster? " but.. yup i still enjoy the graphic ( this is what i really agree .. the Graghics is nice and its let u view in " eye mode" which let u really see a character like their look/clothes )

Suikoden tactic like other people said .. sum up the plot that is lack in Suikoden 4 .. And its has another of his own story.. much like Nash in Suikoden2 ( suikogaiden )

My rating

Suikoden I - 7/10
Suikoden II - 10/10
Suikoden III- 8/10
SuikodenIV - 6.5/10
Suikoden Tactic - 7/10
Suikoden V - 8/10

I truly recommand u play SuikodenII and all of the other suikoden series as u will get more interested and understand the plots/storyline.
BlueMoonRune... Shine ur Etenal Light upon the Weaklings ...
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

IMO, Luca Blight was a really bad villain with a terrible backstory. He was basically just pissed at the world because his mom got raped and died giving birth to Jillia. I don't like overgeneralizing things, but what I just said really describes his entire character.
Hmm... Didn't make much money. Next time, let's get rich! - Rachel
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

My ratings:

Suiko I: 8/10 (really good some things don't fit very well)
Suiko II: 9/10 (Perfidies, Conspiracies, nearly to the perfection)
Suiko III: 7/10 (good but "save the world from destruccion?" is the same as always)
Suiko IV: 2/10 (Really, is some history here?)
Suiko V: 9/10 (Very good)
LadyRhia

Post by LadyRhia »

Suiko III: 7/10 (good but "save the world from destruccion?" is the same as always)
To clarify, it wasn't really saving the world. More like saving Grasslands, Dunan, and a bit of Toran if I remember right.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

In my opinion, Suikoden 2 was a well put together game and solid in various ways. But, the reason it was so well received is because it expanded upon the world of Suikoden that we already knew. The fact that so many returning characters appeared in this installment was a huge draw fo fans of the series. The mini games also gave the gam an amazing replay value. The storyline was great. The return of Neclord, Luca's turmoil, the fact that one of the main characters actually betrays his best friend during the outset of the game, and there were multiple endings which allowed for the gamer to feel as if he had options. Truly, Suikoden 2 took everything from Suikoden 1 and expanded upon each and every aspect. But, I still believe the most memorable game, for me, was Suikoden 1. 9.8/10

But, I still remember the first time I got my hands Suikoden 1. The music and the engaging plot all led me to being the Suikoden addict I am today. I would have never tried Suikoden 2 if Suikoden 1 did not hook me like it did. Reminiscing about the scene where Ted relinquishes the Soul Eater to Tir is still fresh in my mind to this day. 10/10

Suikogaidens and Suikoden Card Stories, unfortunately I was not able to play these side games or involve myself in the card stories. But I have read through the translations of the gaidens. It gave a very interesting look into a character that became a special part of the Suikoden saga. It was a very entertaining read and I am sure it proved to be an interesting distraction while waiting for Suikoden 3 to come along. 7/10

Suikoden 3 was a pleasant experience for me. I loved the idea of a character we knew becoming the villain. It gave a great spin to the story and expanded upon plenty of issues and gave us a glimpse into the future of the Suikoden World. There were plenty of innovations in this installment, as well. 8.5/10

Suikoden 4, I must say was a disappointment for me. It seemed like a rather stale plot and much of the game was not very memorable for me. I felt the game had so much more potential, but I enjoyed the game, as well. The Rune of Punishment and The Fog Ship Guide were the main bright spots for me in regards to this installment. 7/10

Suikoden Tactics, I believe this game was quite a huge success. I truly enjoyed the story and the gameplay. It did redeem Suikoden 4 to some degree in my eyes. It gave an interesting look into Rune Cannons and also allowed us to look into the alternate worlds. It also gave us an interesting character who will more than likely play some role in future Suikoden installments. 8/10

Suikoden 5, I believe the creators really made an effort to bring back the feel of Suikoden 1 and 2 with this particular installment. I believe they did a great job. This game was definitely a Suikoden experience and we haven't had one of those in awhile I am sad to say. There is just so much they introduced to us in this game and they even closed the book on one of our more mysterious characters. This game helped to create more intrigue for the Suikoden series and has definitely got me desperately waiting for my next Suikoden fix. 9/10
linkerman88

Post by linkerman88 »

Auragaea wrote:IMO, Luca Blight was a really bad villain with a terrible backstory. He was basically just pissed at the world because his mom got raped and died giving birth to Jillia. I don't like overgeneralizing things, but what I just said really describes his entire character.
His mother is Rape by the states army, and his dad dint come to help but instead hurry back to highland. thats the reason he hate States so much and his father.
BlueMoonRune... Shine ur Etenal Light upon the Weaklings ...
That's Mr. Humphrey

Post by That's Mr. Humphrey »

I - i have to say, Prophet has the right idea as far as the first one goes. If it wasn't for the first one being good the second one wouldn't have been great. (1st place)

II - more than a game, an experience. (a very close 2st place)

III - very enjoyable, loved the characters, but not I or II. (4th isn't always bad. Not in this case at least.)

IV - I'm suprised Jeane showed up for work that day. the only benifits to the game was seeing Ted again and the extra characters you get for Tactics. The game was all sizzle but no steak. (6th place)

Tactics - Liked it alot. I'm a huge fan of FF Tactics and was draw'n in instantly. (5th place)

V - It gave me a great reson to dust off my PS2. Their wasn't anything wrong with V. This game is proof that great game quality and great game play is possible. (3rd place)

On another note anyone heard anything on VI?
Stick to your guns.
Kreutz

Post by Kreutz »

I'll only rate/review the storyline to Suikoden I because I haven't played the others too recently, and I'd rather have the games fresh in my mind to give a rating. Sometime I'll come back to this post and rate the others.

Suikoden I: 9.4/10 Well in my opinion, the story flowed incredibly well right from the beginning. There didn't seem to be a part of the story which seemed out of place, or pointless. There were twists and turns, and we discovered new things about characters up until the end.
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

my rating for the suikoden series:

suikoden 2- my first ever rpg. this game is stupid! how do you play this. ah, what the game is over already? o! opening credits. after 50 hours. wow this game is great. after playing a couple of more rpgs. definitely the best rpg ever.(my personal opinion) a must have!

suikoden 1- ah. my second suikoden. how sweet. it feels just like suikoden 2.
I gave it a 9.

suikoden 3- at first. this game is not suikoden! its a fake! its blasphemous to the name suikoden. but as i progress it is not bad. it is suikoden in new perspective. i give a 8.5.

suikoden 4- to bad haven't got a chance to finish yet. they are giving it a lot of bad reviews. but when i started to play it the only thing i didn't like is the sea travel thing. but so far it is the only suikoden which actually lets you rest and save anywhere in the map which i love very much.

suikoden 5- now this suikoden is a new experience. I give it a 9.5. just hard character recruitment.
Suikoden I - Fuma/Kage/Kasumi
Suikoden II - Mondo/sasuke/Kasumi
Suikoden III - Landis/Watari/Ayame
Suikoden IV - Akaghi/Mizuki/Kate
Suikoden V - Shigure/Sagiri/Raven