Story ratings for each Suikoden

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Morridor

Story ratings for each Suikoden

Post by Morridor »

Hi, I'm pretty much new to the Suikoden world (I've only played the first one) and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I've heard in a lot of reviews that Suikoden Tactics and V were really bad, but I don't really trust reviews. . .

I was wondering if someone could rate the storylines of each Suikoden for me? I usually play videogames for the storyline and character development so that's really what I'm concerned about. I really want to play II, III, and IV, but I'm not sure if I should get V or Tactics. Could someone help?

Danny
Konami RPG Stars / Suikoden Website!
Click this Link for the Official Suikoden Website for free Suiko Art Books + OSVs, DS Lites, and $250 Gamestop gift cards
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Post by Wicked_Rune_Bearer »

well to begin with i don't believe this post will stay accessible for long due to your post, suikosource is very organized with their forums, you should probably have posted this in general discussion but oh well, well heres' what i think on a scale on 1 to 10 for each except 5, i haven't been able to play it yet, saddly

S1 = 9
S2 = 10
S3 = 7 1/2
S4 = 6
Tactics = 8 because it made s4 more clear
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Suikoden_Legends
Morridor

Post by Morridor »

Wicked_Rune_Bearer wrote:well to begin with i don't believe this post will stay accessible for long due to your post, suikosource is very organized with their forums, you should probably have posted this in general discussion but oh well.
The reason I put it here is because the general discussion had a subtitle saying (for all non-Suikoden discussion). And my question was specifically about plot. But if it closes, that's ok I guess.

Danny
Click this Link for the Official Suikoden Website for free Suiko Art Books + OSVs, DS Lites, and $250 Gamestop gift cards
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

All of them were excellent games except for IV, which I found to be average. I also haven't beaten Suikoden Tactics yet, but from what I have played it seems decent.

If I were you I'd try to get my hands on Suikoden II--its considered by many people to be the best in the series. A lot of people were dissapointed by III, however I really enjoyed it and in retrospect I think it was an admiral addition to Suikoden canon. IV, as I said, was only average.

Can't really talk about V outside the forums, however if you go here:

Here

you will find reviews of Suikoden's III and later by Blue Moon, who is one of the most respected members of the Suikoden community. If you were to ask some people about him they'd tell you he's like a god walking amoungst mere mortals. He's just a regular guy though. :P
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

There really isn't an appropriate place to post reviews and opinions of all the games compariatively. However, there is a place to post reviews and opinions on specific games. You'll notice a sticky with that title in each of the gameplay forums for each of the games. That would be an appropriate place to actually review the games. Otherwise it's personal opinion. GameFAQs is good for reviews.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Suikoden 1- 6/10 It has very strong moments but is greatly hindered in playing to generic stereotypes. It avoids the whole save the world aspect msot rpg's have but its storytelling is relatively straightforward and can be a bit shallow in terms of characterization.

Suikoden 2- 9/10 It's major flaw is that it is in amny ways a rehashed version of the first game. Why the higher score? It was done much better. Characters are more interesting, the conflict better thought out and developed.

Suikoden 3- 7.5/10 The game is absolutely fantastic in its presentation of factional disputes and cultural clashes. Trinity sight allows for a large number of the stars of destiny to be given some relevance to the plot than in previous games. It's weak point in part lies with that it feels like portions were almost removed and thus the flow and pacing can seem a bi odd at times.

Suikoden 4- 4/10 Hands down the weakest in the series in terms of plot and characterization. Not only does it feel incredibly generic in its storytelling but it fails to climax. It ends at what feels like should be a halfway turning point. The game does some other things decently but story was definitely the primary weakness of this game.

Suikoden tactics- 6/10 It's not bad, and even adds a bit more much needed depth to the crew of suiko IV, but the plot is still quite generic and play by the rules rpg fare and can get downright silly at times. However since it is a tactical rpg, the strategy and gameplay is a bit more of a factor.

However I actually don't recommend GameFAQs if only because there is too much fan pandering and that many of the reviews aren't particularly impartial.
Morridor

Post by Morridor »

I really don't trust gamefaqs; hence me asking here. Also, I feel that the actual fans of the series will be honest as to which game is better than the others. I appreciate all of your ratings, it really helps me. I trust what you say much more than main rpg site's reviews on the internet!

Danny
Lemmy Claypool

Re: Story ratings for each Suikoden

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Morridor wrote:I've heard in a lot of reviews that Suikoden Tactics and V were really bad
I think you've been misinformed on this part, generally people seem to love V and rate it around the same as II.

Not that I know for myself as I've yet to play it.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Suikoden V(I'm not even half-way through) is basically like 2 so it's just as great.

However, I don't like the trend with the Tenkai Star being a prince, which basically means it was easy to gain allies to win the war. Lazlo (Queen/ Lino's son) and Hero5 were basically well respected from the start and some (not all) people just basically joined cause they were princes. Not so much with Lazlo (serving under King Lino) but we all know how easy getting 108 stars was in that game.
Tir, Riou, and Hugo basically started an army from scratch.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Recruitment in Suikoden V is probably the most difficult.

Hugo, Riou, and Tir didn't start armies from scratch either.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:Not so much with Lazlo (serving under King Lino) but we all know how easy getting 108 stars was in that game.
Tir, Riou, and Hugo basically started an army from scratch.
Hero IV's princely background had ZERO effect in terms of people joining that, so it's no different from from his predecessors.

On the other hand, I don't see how Hero V being a prince made recruitment any easier. I dare say that Suikoden V easily had the most tricky of recruitment requirements in the series.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

-------Plotline Spoilers------

Lazlo was backed by the Kingdom of Obel cause he had the RoP and then SOME allies followed cause the allies knew and respected King Lino. Lazlo would have never succeeded without Obel's Royal family's help. Heck they even had the castle ship for him.

I'm not done with suikoden5, ...at Lelcar.
On the other side of the prism, what had Godwin done since taking over the castle? Not ONE ENTIRE town (besides Sol-falena of course) supported him from the start. Thus, he had trouble putting other towns completely under his control and never gained any strong allies. The prince,so far, is basically fighting the army that Godwin was hiding in his back pocket (somehow) all this time plus people who got forcibly drafted.
I agree the recruitments are tricky, but way too many "Oh! It's the Prince!!!" , feel right at home, (some characters)hmmmm Ok! I'll let you befriend me cause i'm so honored to be with the prince!, etc... Just way too many "suck-ups" and the enemy force is weak to begin with.

Scarlet moon empire, Highland empire, Harmonian empire/Sarah's army, Koluuk Empire, and then some stupid noble that took over your castle. Which one doesn't fit with the rest?
Strategy is the key to victory!
DeathChaser

Post by DeathChaser »

rating from 1 to 10
SUIKODEN 1 =10
SUIKODEN 2=10+
SUIKODEN 3 =9 the reason i give it such high score its because its suikoden 3 and it has trinity thing which is kool it has 3 main characters and its the 3rd suikoden so that was clever if u ask me.and the trinity thingy made me feel like i was playing 3 games at once and plus u get to play from the bad guys point of view to in the end if u do everything right so that was another plus .SUIKODEN 4 =5 it kinda sucked cause it felt to distant for some reason at least they still had 108 i think if they strayed away from that the series might have been lost !but if you realy enjoy suikoden this is worth playing but its just not as good as its predicessors .it does have some refrences to the old suikodens few characters so yeah its suikoden but still felt distant .
SUIKODEN 5=8 it was a good good play im playing it for second time now ,he game is just before time of the first one and some characters are in it that are in suikoden 1 and the game played even tho its 3d made me feel like i was playing suikoden 2 .and the battle system went back to way its supposto be like in 1 and 2 so that was another plus .and when u finish the game for the first time u start new one and it gives u extra speed so u can play for second time but half as faster .so that was a pleasant treat .and the dwarf and beavers villages made the game realy feel like suikoden 1 and 2 .
i havent played tactics cause when i first went to buy it i saw characters that looked way way differnet then suikoden and the battle system just made me say blah im not buying that crap ..now that iw heard that it makes suikoden 4 more relavent i might go and buy it ..maybe ...
What ?Wo are you..
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

I say V is on par with II. It has the best cast of characters hands down. It's major downfall is the pacing for the first third of the game. It is incredibly slow until HQ is attained. However, by then the core bunch of characters is established. Very strong overall.
Eilie

Post by Eilie »

I play in Suikoden 5, its very good but not better Suiko 2.
My scores:
Suikoden I - 9
Suikoden II - 10
Suikoden III - 8
Suikoden IV - 6
Suikoden Rhapsodia - 7
Suikoden V - 8,5