Story ratings for each Suikoden

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Redheim

Re: Story ratings for each Suikoden

Post by Redheim »

I'm going to try and keep this short, because very few people will read it.

Suikoden I: 9/10 The story here is one of my favorite in the series. I like a game that keeps me on my toes and gives me large mood swings in real life. <spoilers> Basically, when you play this game there is always a cotastrophe about to happen, first Ted is captured because Pahn betrays you, then Odessa dies, then Gremio dies, then Pahn possibly dies, then Teo dies, then Black dies, then Mathiu dies, then... you get my point.</spoilers> I loved this game, and respected it, fantastic game. Plus you get the Soul Eater... ^_^

Suikoden II: 9.9/10 The only thing that keeps this game from being a perfect 10 are the many grammatical/text swapping errors, that says a lot when the only flaw in something is grammar. But the story is superb, much like Suikoden I, the plot is tragic and moving. The gameplay is very fun, but doesn't make sence sometimes. But this one IS my favorite so far.

Suikoden III: 9.5/10 This is the most sceptical game by far, either you love it, or you despise it. The story isn't the same kind as the last two, but they had a different game director, so what can you expect. But in my opinion the story is THE best in the series. I myself am not a fan of what they did to the battle system but some people do, and more power to them. The major flaw in this game that stuck out to me was the mind numbingley long paths to get from one city to another, especially that one to Caleria where you find Viki. >_> But the end is great, I do recomend this game.

Suikoden IV: 8.5/10 Honestly, I just like pirates. I like this game because of the pirate theme, and you heard about the Island Nations in S2, and it gives you a little insight on whats up there. I don't like the rune of Punishment, but I guess it's not that bad. I really like the Ship HQ but most people didn't, I wouldn't like this in future Suikodens though. Another thing a lot of people didn't like was the 4 person party, I didn't really care for it, but it wasn't enough to turn me off of the game. But, I LOVE Ted, he's my favorite character in the Suikoworld, SOUL EATER!!!! Good game.

Suikoden 5: 9.5/10 Great game, goes back to the roots of Suikoden in many ways. I really don't like the story in this one, but the 70 hour+ first time play through was nice. This games strong point for me was the battle system. It was the most manipulatable in the series, wich is a big plus. Great character recruitment, probably one of the hardest. Plus Richard is great. The Tenkai`s rune was crap, but oh well. I recomend it.

Suikodent Tactics: This game is just to fill in the holes in the Suikoden IV story, play this one last. It's not a very good tactics game. If you do want to play a good tactics game, play FF Tactics or Fire Emblem.

DONE.
Last edited by Redheim on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Suikodent Tactics: This game is just to fill in the holes in the Suikoden IV story, play this one last. It's not a very good tactics game. If you do want to play a good tactics game, play FF Tactics or Fire Emblem.
Sorry if this is off topic, if you like Tactics games you MUST play Disgaia 2. It is by far the best grid style RPG I have EVER played.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, I give it a try...

Suikoden I: Something between 5 and 7/10. I don't really know.. i knew the basics of the Story before I played it(I have played S II before S I and I have once, not on purpose, read a walkthrough of S I...), so most of the pllt did not surprise me. But even without this knowledge, I would not really have been surprised, for the stroy is most of the time pretty much the same old tale... But I have to credit it for being the first Suikoden ;)

S II: 9 or 9.5/10: Imo the best Suikoden and the best Story. I really love the development of the plot, beginning with the mercenary fort, then they go tu Muse and finally, they have to flee to NorthWindow... and that's not even half the story. But I can't give it full points, for Jowy's behaviour really pissed me of sometimes... Oh, and Pilika and Bolgan are also reasons why I don't like it like a 10/10*gg*

S III: 8/10: Quite solid/above average. The TSS was a really interesting experiment and I liked to see all three groups encountering different problems. The whole plot about the Destroyers was rather well made, even though.. ah I just don't know. Imo not very outstanding, neither to the bad, nor to the good side, plotwise. But I hate that you never feel like "one" Army. it just seems to be 3 Armies, meeting incidentally at a castle which does not feel like a real HQ. I've waited the whole time for Thomas/the FC giving a moving and emotional speech in the entry room.. but nothing. The War Room was also a mere meeting point for anyone, but it did not seem to be very structured. Man, Caesar, there's a chair- SIT DOWN!

S IV: 5/10, could have been an easy 9/10: Oh well, to put it frankly: The plot was nonsense. Character Development? Rarely existant. Plot Twists? Well, if losing all Islands and reoccupying them is a plot Twist for you, they exist, but I don't think so. It just seems so rushed... every other Suikoden uses plenty of time(well, maybe except for S I that is) to develop the plot. Troy could have easily become one of the most loved antagonists in the Suikoden world. But what do we get to know about him? Nothing at all(Personally, that is). Snowe could have been worked on a bit more.. but compared to Bosch from BoF:DQ, who is about the same type as Snowe, he is rather deep in character. but what about the others? I always wondered, who the frag Gretchen and Millay were. I even did not remind having them recruited! Or these two ugly and dirty pirates. I would have LOVED to get to know more about them. One ore two Islands in the Island Nations would make it a lot more deep, but like this.. arrr, it's just average, at most.

S Tactics: 7/10: I kinda like this game, even though it just seems to complement S IV. I like it to get more information on the Kooluk Empire and so on. To me, it's more a history lesson than a story, but I don't care at all. This is one of my favourite Suikodens.

S V: 9/10: I LOVE the story of this one. Not, beacause it is really moving(which it is sometimes), but because it is overall quite realistic! The different fractions fighting against each other and only for their own interests are so actual, I couldn't believe it. As well, it has some motifs from S II(your first HQ in Rainwall/Raftfleet isn't your final HQ), which is awesome. but as the game progresses, the game satrts to become.. dah. But the perfect ending is superb.
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

Antimatzist wrote:
S II: 9 or 9.5/10: Imo the best Suikoden and the best Story. I really love the development of the plot, beginning with the mercenary fort, then they go tu Muse and finally, they have to flee to NorthWindow... and that's not even half the story. But I can't give it full points, for Jowy's behaviour really pissed me of sometimes... Oh, and Pilika and Bolgan are also reasons why I don't like it like a 10/10*gg*
Thank the heavens! Someone who doesn't worship Pilika as someone who MUST come back in a future installment.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Oh, if she matured enough, I would like to see her again. I kinda felt sorry for her for the first half of S II, but after some time, she was just going on my nerves.

But I wouldn't mind if she returned in a future Suikoden and would be killed :shock: :o :shock:
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

The best scene in that game is the ending scene with Pilika, Jillia and Jowy. >_> I didn't like her during the game, but that scene almost made me cry. I wouldn't want to see her again honestly.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Redheim wrote:The best scene in that game is the ending scene with Pilika, Jillia and Jowy. >_> I didn't like her during the game, but that scene almost made me cry. I wouldn't want to see her again honestly.
i totally agree with you. In the beginning, when you have to buy here that wooden medal, I kinda found her cute, but then... until her very last scene, I didn't mind her at all.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

Yeah, when she gave you her life savings I was all like... :'(

But I totally agree with Pilika being a pest throughout the game.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I dunno, Pilika was sort of used to display Luca Blight's evil, the fact that he had no problem killing a little girl, and that she was affected when luca burned down Toto, and she was used to get Riou and them out of that trap set by Jowy. She had a purpose in the game anyway, the same can't be said for some characters who join you in these games, some I forget all about because all they do is stand in the hallway and bug everyone.
Yeah, when she gave you her life savings I was all like... :'(
I was like awwww
-Chaco
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Chaco wrote:
She had a purpose in the game anyway, the same can't be said for some characters who join you in these games, some I forget all about because all they do is stand in the hallway and bug everyone.
So you like her, because she's got a purpose in the game? I don't think that the game would have drastically changed without Pilika. You can see how evil Luca is from the "Die Pig!"scene well enough.

Oleg in S IV had a purpose as well, but I wouldn't say that he was vital to the game itself...
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

So you like her, because she's got a purpose in the game? I don't think that the game would have drastically changed without Pilika. You can see how evil Luca is from the "Die Pig!"scene well enough.

Oleg in S IV had a purpose as well, but I wouldn't say that he was vital to the game itself...
You misunderstand, I didn't say Pilika was vital or that I liked her, just that she served more purpose then characters like Oleg and Esmeralda. And showing how evil Luca was wasn't the only served purpose she had either.
-Chaco
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

Without Pilika, there would'nt have been my favorite scene... Pilika was just as important as Nanami.
RPG Seeker

Post by RPG Seeker »

My rating:

Suikoden I and II - don't have a copy
Suikoden III - 10 out of 10
Suikoden IV - 7 out of 10
Suikoden Tactics - 7 out of 10
Suikoden V - 7.5 out of 10
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

RPG Seeker wrote:My rating:

Suikoden I and II - don't have a copy
Suikoden III - 10 out of 10
Suikoden IV - 7 out of 10
Suikoden Tactics - 7 out of 10
Suikoden V - 7.5 out of 10
And why is that? Could you explain your pov a bit...?
lechaflan

Post by lechaflan »

it's a little over 2 years since the original post so i'm sure the TC all ready played most if not all the series. in any case, this my opinion.

S1: 8.5/10. very good start to the series. soul eater is such a cool rune.
S2: 9.5/10. the main idea of you fighting your best friend is incredible. woulda gave it a 10 if there was more character development and a talking riou. and the fact that you kill who probably a lot of ppl think would be the last boss about 60% through the story is quite possibly the most interesting approach to such a badass character. the ambush on luca had to be the best idea in the game.
S3: 8.0/10. best presented and interesting approach to a suikoden story. somewhat wild arms-like but i like the fact that the leaders do talk so you can actually understand them better as to why they're fitting to be leaders. not a fan of the battle system and i don't like the world map. doesn't feel explorative.
S4: 4.5/10. a good game by itself but it's just not suikoden to me especially because of the basic battle mechanics. presentation was nowhere near as good as 3. there's so much potential to feel bad for lazlo and understand snowe but it felt completely rushed and knowing that lazlo is one of four suikoden silent protagonists doesn't help. boring world map + lack of islands = terrible exploration. the ideas were there and it had a lot of potential but it just didn't deliver.
S5: 9.3/10. the scenes within the game gave it a lot of flavor. roy's death scene had to be the most powerful scene in the game. the multiple bad endings also make you think. the fact that we have an explicit royal tenkai is also pretty darn cool.

haven't touched tactics yet