Military strength of Falena...

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Spudtrooper

Military strength of Falena...

Post by Spudtrooper »

Compared to other nations? I've been lurking in this forum for awhile, and I've seen Falena being compared to Harmonia, could they really rival Harmonia? After all the war battles, I really don't think this is the case. I see Falena as being on the same level as Toran.
Seldio

Post by Seldio »

Haha, not really. No "single" country could really rivaling Harmonia. Harmonia is said to have a number of army troops in the "millions."

Then in one of those CS in Suikoden V you get to hear that around 100,000 Falenan soldiers can be readied at once for combat.
Strangely, you don't get to see that much amount of soldiers in any War Battle. O.o
Spudtrooper

Post by Spudtrooper »

Yeah I saw that too. You would think the Godwins could easily raise that amount, with their conscripting civilians and all. 100,000 troops would sweep over the princes forces. and be used as an invasion force for neighboring nations.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I don't know about Harmonia, but they seem to be fairly powerful. The Godwin faction wouldn't have much backing if Falena's military couldn't face other nations, after all. Of course, there's also things like Nether Gate and the Sun Rune to consider, so who knows how much they would rely on their sheer military prowess to conquer other nations. Some nations may not even have True Runes to combat the Sun Rune, mind you. That one reference to a 100,000 troops was said during a fairly serious scene, so I'm in doubt that it was a mere exaggeration. Nobody seems to have the balls to attack them at full strength, so that's something else to consider.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Considering the Sun rune has exhibited power in the past to obliterate entire nations.

I think if Harmonia readied to invade, they would loose millions to the sun rune.
Desides

Post by Desides »

Spudtrooper wrote:Yeah I saw that too. You would think the Godwins could easily raise that amount, with their conscripting civilians and all. 100,000 troops would sweep over the princes forces. and be used as an invasion force for neighboring nations.
The Godwins have a limited amount of troops available to begin with, and the conscripts could only add so much manpower to certain places at certain times.

Regarding the 100,000-odd troop strength of Falena, they may very well have 100,000 troops. However, Konami was under no obligation to have the Prince fight all 100,000, since the war depicted was a civil war against largely Godwin's own troops, artifically augmented with a limited number of conscripts.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

Harmonia probably WILL invade Falena while on the subject of this, or eventually launch a skirmish. We know Harmonia is trying to capture the 27 True Runes, and does have troops in the millions compared to 100,000 or so.

Cathari mentions being sent to observe the situation and in her blurb says that the empire she comes from would not involve themselves with Falena for years to come.

Years to come indicating eventually it may happen. Also someone mentioned the Sun Rune as a weapon - yes, thre Sun Rune CAN be a weapon, HOWEVER, we've seen what happens when the Sun Rune is used as such; it would destroy not only the enemy but cause a destruction far beyond human decency. The Sun Rune being used if Falena were invaded might destroy invaders, but Falena itself would also be destroyed.

Also, this statement is considering that Falena is the only country with a True Rune that could do that - Harmonia likely has gotten a hold of several True Runes.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

How will Harmonia try to invade Falena? Aren't they on the other side of the world.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

That's true, however, that's assuming Harmonia doesn't have a rather large navy. No one ever said they did, but to this point no one ever said they didn't.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

If Harmonia invaded Falena that would be suicide. Dragon Calvery could stomp the shoot out of their infantry units. Also I dont think Harmonia would dare invade it with that sun rune still being in possession of the falenian royality. I think its easier for them just to steal it.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

Harmonia has the most powerful military we know of so far in the Suikoden series. But people seem to often think "Oh, Falena has the Sun Rune." First off, the Royal Family wouldn't dare use it right away, considering that the whole point of Suikoden V was that the Sun Rune is in fact dangerous as hell.

Using it anywhere in Falena would be sure to make a new desert out of a vast portion, if not the entire country. Look at Lordlake. The Dragon Calvary is very powerful but are incapable of flight, which means Le Buque would likely mop the floor with them. Of course this is all still overlooking the sheer numbers game. Not once during Suikoden V is it ever indicated that Falena has a large army. The troop numbers in military war are rather miniscule in comparison to the numbers we see in Harmonia or Scarlet Moon/Toran. On a sheer base of numbers, Harmonia is deadly...

...and they have more guns than Falena does.

Also people oftentimes discount that Harmonia has some True Runes of their own and seem to know how to suppress/contain True Runes for capture. Still anything any of us say is speculation, it would be interesting to see how the two countries would fare at war.

Still as stated earlier I doubt Harmonia would be quick to waste resources in warfare right away if the country has no intention of using their Sun Rune for political gain/expansion.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

The royal family would eventually use the sun rune if it was the only way to protect themselves and Falena.

Harmonia outnumbers Falena's infantry and calvary but Falena has a huge advantage with the dragon calvary and naval forces. If harmonia can still use mantors then they can preety much devastate Falena's naval force and all that would remain is the dragon calvary which would have to get trapped on land and then just keep fighting them until they cant fight anymore...but without mantors harmonia wouldn't stand a chance against Falena's naval force...unless they got a bunch of rune casters to attack from land with rune spells.. actually we dont even know if harmonia posseses any naval force but considering there the most powerful nation..I think its a sure fire bet they do..Harmonia can crush Falena in so many ways..but without a naval force or mantors... I think Falena could defeat them as long as they kept there naval force intact and used the dragon calvary and armes calvary/infantry combined with there own infantry and calvary. Harmonia has many advantages though and I think harmonia would win...lets not forget that they could just send in someone with a true rune to crush the opposition...if sasarai appeared the true earth rune would devestate Falena before the sun rune could even be used...
Eyedol

Post by Eyedol »

Rivera wrote:...and they have more guns than Falena does.
If you watch a specific bath scene, you'll see that guns are more of a bluff tactic than anything else. Not to mention that the Howling Voice Guild has exclusive control of the technology to build them and has an agenda of its own (and not too keen to be a pawn in politics).
Irongland

Post by Irongland »

Since Harmonia is supposed to be the superpower of the Suikoden universe, I'm a firm believer that they can match the Sun Runes' power quite easily. Afterall, they seem to know a lot about true runes, in general, and there are still a lot of True runes to be introduced.
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Plus Harmonias army is huge if an attempt was made on Falena i think it would be a devestating war. If you take into fact provisions and supply lines. I just dont think Harmnoia would last.