Why Cathari on Prince's side when she is Harmonian?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
RevKoden

Why Cathari on Prince's side when she is Harmonian?

Post by RevKoden »

So lemme generalize this a bit. Harmonian foreign policy involves the gathering of True Runes (based on wikia).

If that is the case, shouldn't Cathari be on Godwin's side? So that Harmonia would "LIKE" to interfere the war and take the Sun Rune for themselves? How come Cathari think of the Prince to win instead so that it won't happen..when in fact the Harmonian would like to interfere the situation? Is it because she is from the Guild itself, hence their own influence?
Antimatzist

Re: Why Cathari on Prince's side when she is Harmonian?

Post by Antimatzist »

Isn't it explained in the game that Cathari is just observing the status of the rune there? It was not her mission to take the rune.

It was Lucretia which convinced her that the prince'd win.
RevKoden

Post by RevKoden »

Antimatzist wrote:Isn't it explained in the game that Cathari is just observing the status of the rune there? It was not her mission to take the rune.

It was Lucretia which convinced her that the prince'd win.
But her guild, Howling Voice IS under Harmonia. Harmonia's intention has always been to collect the True Runes. Sovereign Rune & Beast Rune are formerly under Harmonia before being taken by Scarlet Moon & Highland.

SO...Harmonia WOULD like to meddle with Falena and takes the Sun Rune for their own keeping. WHY WOULD Cathari who was sent to scout Prince's army help the Prince...and forced Harmonia to NOT meddle Falena when in an easy way Cathari could have side with Godwin and gives a purpose for Harmonia to invade the country and take the Sun Rune?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

It all comes down to what her job was. As I said, she was an observer on the status of the SUn Rune - probably as a reaction of the Lordlake Incident.

Siding with the prince actually would make it easier to get the Sun Rune eventually. under a Godwin rule, Falena would probably become a militaristic superpower, and invading a country at the other side of the world, separated by a huge sea and at least two other countries is already difficult enough. Having a strong army and the Sun Rune at the center of the power in Falena would make matters only worse.

With the prince winning, the Sun Rune pretty much returned to a safe state and the country was at peace. If one would want to invade the country and take the rune, it'd be much easier this way.

But you're right, Cathari tells her superiors that they should forget about the rune. We don't really know what Harmonia is aiming for and in no game, we actually see Harmonia taking runes. You could ask in the same way why Harmonia helps Highland in Suikoden II, but does not try and take the Rune of Beginning (or Moon Rune or Luc's True Wind Rune which Sasarai sees in action or the Star Dragon Sword).

As a side note, Harmonia gave the Beast Rune to Highland as a present more or less.
RevKoden

Post by RevKoden »

Personally, If Godwin is in power, then it's more likelier for Harmonia to invade. They can just excuse themselves to invade it, under the "holy mission" to topple the Godwin due to their militaristic government and misuse of the Sun Rune, while trying to keep it for themselves. Hence this is why i think what Cathari did with what Harmonia's intent contradicts. I can only come to conclusion is due to her guild having their own influence, rather than Central Harmonian government.

I don't have enough theory to why under Lym's rule it's more easier for Harmonia to invade..when the Cathari's ending dissuades them..personally i think it's due to Sun Rune being at maximum & "correct" power now (Best ending) and with the rune scholars around? They can just use it as last resort and bye Harmonia.

As for the True Runes, Like we all know..it's possibly because the True Runes itself. Some of them are hard to control like the Beast Rune, that like you said "given" by Harmonia. But it's mostly because the Beast Rune stubbornness to stay at L'Renouille. It's not that they don't keep the rune, more like they CAN'T keep the rune. It's mostly because of the nature of the True Runes itself.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I can't follow. Harmonia never showed that they would be global peacekeepers, that need reasons to fight other countries. Also, this is not the Grasslands, this is literally the other side of the world. How could they topple the government there? They'd have to invade which is practically impossible.

I think I explained why Lym would lead to a more peaceful Falena, didn't I? The only threat at hand would be Nagarea, while Falena and Armes are pretty much good friends by the end of the game. And why wouldn't Godwin also be able to use the power of the Sun Rune to protect the country?

I don't understand your last paragraph. Harmonia gave Highland the Beast Rune as a present when the country was founded (it belonged to Harmonia before that). It's still pretty much under Harmonian influence, though. Throughout the series, Harmonia only once actively seeked for True Runes, and that was the True Fire and True Water Rune, and both happened before the actual game (the game's events were not related to Harmonia's politics)