Only nobles have surnames?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Pen

Re: Only nobles have surnames?

Post by Pen »

Antimatzist wrote:That's a good question, but I think it might be because of merits in the war against the Scarlet Moon Empire. But that's just an assumption.
Maximillian was a very big general FOR the Scarlet Moon Empire, as I remember from Richmond's investigations. But he lost his post AND they disbanded his Knights due they helping Jowston with something. Then he helped the Liberation Army.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

This is the translation of the page from the Suikoden Encyclopedia that explains the topic in detail. From page 344 of the Genso Suikoden Encyclopedia.

Rules on People's Names within Suikoden
(Translated and partially re-written by Vector Xthonic of Suikosource)

In the suikoden world, there are those who have last names, middle names, and even those who only have first names. If you know the rules of how people are named, you will be able to get a general understanding of their background. There are basically four different types of names. Here are the explanations:
  1. Names with Last Names (and middle names)
    Only for those who are beyond a certain rank within their country, are a member of a family with a long history, or of aristocratic background. This means, by merely having a last name (and possibly middle names), you will immediately be recognized as a person from a prestigious family. Of course, due to that fact there are those who will create false last names to fake themselves as those from the upper class.

Examples:
    • Odessa Silverberg: Born into Scarelet Moon Empire aristocracy.
    • Teresa Wisemail: Born into the noted Wisemail family.
    • Humphrey Mintz: Given his last name due to his military merits.
    • Perceval Fraulein: Given his last name from Captain Galahadupon becoming knighted.
    • Augustine Nabor: May be a genuine family, but may possibly be fake.
    • Freed Y (Yamamoto): Born into the Yamamoto family.
    • Nash Latjke: Harmonian 1st Class Citizen.
    • Thanatos Crawford: A fake name used by Zaj Quilos after he "purchases" 1st Class Citizen rights of the Crawford family, and then adopted the first name "Thanatos."
  2. First Name Only
    Normally in the Suikoden world, people only have first names. These are basically the common people. Even if a person has an important role within a nation, if they are born as a commoner, then they won't have last names. In certain cases, last names are granted to commoners, but rules on this depend on the nation, and these cases are typically rare.

Examples:
    • Annabelle: Leader of the Jowston Alliance, but still a commoner.
    • Lepant: President of the Toran Republic, but still of commoner origin (The Toran Republic also discontinued the Scarlet Moon Empire's military-aristocracy system, although those who've had titles from before have kept their names)
    • Amada: A sailor.
    • Lucia: Chief of the Karaya Clan, but the Karaya have no last name system.
  3. Elven Names
    Elves have special naming schemes, where their name is listed in the order of--

Individual Name + Mother's Name + Family Name + Clan Name

In the case of Kirkis, his full name is Kirkis Shana Ques Laviankaana. So, this means Kirkis is his individual name, by which most people call him. His mother's name is Shana, Ques is his family name, and he is from the Laviankaana clan (unfortunately, Kirkis is the only elf for whom we know the full name).
  4. Special Names
    Some names have spaces (or dots) that separate sounds within their names, which make it seem like they have first and last names, but these are actually just one name. Names like this sometimes end up being created by parental whim, or sounds are added to a person's name just to make it sound better. Names of these kind are uncommon, but they don't indicate a person's cultural background or anything.

Examples:
    • Yam Koo: Not Yam of the Koo family, he's just Yam-Koo.
    • Tai Ho: Not Tai of the Ho family, he's just Tai-Ho.
    • Kun To: Not Kun of the To family, he's just Kun-To.
    • Ronnie Bell: Bell is just an "affectionate ending" added to her name, so she isn't from the "Bell" family.
    • Fu Su Lu: Not Fu from the Lu family with middle name Su. It's all just one name-- Fu-Su-Lu
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Pen

Post by Pen »

Oh! That's explains a lot!

Thank you, veriaqa!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Would have been nice if we got full names for the other elf characters. Suikoden 4 even mentioned Paula's mother, so her full name could have been Paula Romina Somethingorother (she was banished from the Na Nal settlement, so perhaps she could have gone by just Paula Romina during her time in Razril?)
And Urda and Isato come from a place called Alseid, so I wonder what names they could have had. Very annoying when the games just use "Village Of The Elves" or "Elven Tree" as location names as well.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Pen wrote:
Antimatzist wrote:That's a good question, but I think it might be because of merits in the war against the Scarlet Moon Empire. But that's just an assumption.
Maximillian was a very big general FOR the Scarlet Moon Empire, as I remember from Richmond's investigations. But he lost his post AND they disbanded his Knights due they helping Jowston with something. Then he helped the Liberation Army.
Yeah, but I was talking about Freed.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Pen wrote:Oh! That's explains a lot!

Thank you, veriaqa!
It's not me, it is by Vextor, one of the mod on here, I just quoted him. But you're welcome anyway.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Pen

Post by Pen »

Well, thanks in any matter.

They seems to put a lot of World Building in Suikoden. I love it. I love when devs put a lot of tiny details on their works.