Plot Holes Throughout the Series (Spoilers, Obviously)

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Antimatzist

Re: Plot Holes Throughout the Series (Spoilers, Obviously)

Post by Antimatzist »

Either dead or MIA, as she never appears again, it doesn't matter much (and yeah she is now MIA; though no game ever says that)

You're right about Leon's ending! There are several other inconsistencies (though I wouldn't call them plotholes)

Tai Ho
Returns to Kaku and enjoy a carefree life.

- No, he fights in another war.

Lepant
Returns to Kouan with his family and lives in peace.

He becomes president.

But these are pretty minor considering that it was not sure yet if they could make Suikoden II or not.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

You can consider these as what they intend to do in the aftermath of the war, but in Tai Ho and Lepant's case, their plans were challenged by circumstances.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I don't think retroactive continuity really counts as a plot hole.

Lepant probably did briefly return to a peaceful life in Kouan, but we saw Tir walking away from the capital at the end of Suikoden 1, and the country somebody to take over as president, and Lepant was the most suitable choice.

Tai Ho probably did have a carefree life in Kaku, but then started to get bored and decided to sail off to other waters.

They're not exactly events that defy logic.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Lepant probably did briefly return to a peaceful life in Kouan, but we saw Tir walking away from the capital at the end of Suikoden 1, and the country somebody to take over as president, and Lepant was the most suitable choice.
Tir's ending says he became president and that's definitely not true ;)

But as I said, these are minor inconsistencies, not plot holes.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

it says he became president of the Toran Republic and.... As in, became president and THEN BUGGERED OFF SOMEWHERE. It didn't say anything about him keeping the title. so its not an inconsistency.
BrucePrintscreen

Yeah, Tir is the William Henry Harrison of the Toran Republic.

Or its Paul Deschanel.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

sticky-runes wrote:it says he became president of the Toran Republic and.... As in, became president and THEN BUGGERED OFF SOMEWHERE. It didn't say anything about him keeping the title. so its not an inconsistency.
But he never became president. You juts don't "become" president, you have to be elected and I doubt Tir will candidate as president if he wants to leave the country anyway.

But it seems this is also a mistranslation, the Japanese line reads
後事をレパントに託し、気ままな旅に出る
which (according to google translate and a dictionairy) translates more to: He entrusted all affairs to Lepant, then went on a journey.
BrucePrintscreen

Oh, some people become president without being elected.

(like Gerald Ford)

We know there was a Congress, because Warren was its chairman. In many countries the president is elected by the legislature so that could go fast, no need for campaigning.

Provisional presidents can also be named after revolutions so perhaps he was just put at the head of the state until the new regime could be more properly installed, and he walked off as soon as he could tell everything would be smooth without him. That's the way I saw it anyway.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Just so you know, Viktor's ending was also a mistranslation. Instead of "Missing in action in the final battle" it originally says "Gets drunk and treats sticky-runes to a good shafting."
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

When crossing Mt. Tigerwolf and meeting Ledon, if you choose to go on with your journey instead of stopping for the night, then everyone in your group including Gremio will head inside the inn and get comfortable, leaving it to their host to chase Tir and bring him back to the inn. Some loyalty, Gremio. Bitch.
Heptade

Post by Heptade »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:It might qualify as a Deus ex Machina of sorts. It's doesn't really exist to solve an unsolvable situation, but from a game perspective it's a giant final boss for the sake of having a giant final boss. Though a Deus ex Machina is very much the epitome of poor writing so it comes back to that.

A better plot hole is in Suikoden I when Windy says that Ted hasn't changed a bit in 300 years when he clearly has gone from a child to an adult and they've never met between the two events.
That's not necessarily a plot hole. My mother recently saw a friend she hadn't seen in 20 years. The first thing she said was "You haven't changed." Doesn't mean her friend hadn't changed at all, only that she hadn't changed much.

Windy hasn't seen Ted in 300 years. Her memory of his face might be a bit foggy. But when she sees him, she recognizes him at once. Thus, saying "You haven't changed." makes some sense.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

What about the whole thing outside Neclord's castle in Suikoden 1? Zorak and his warriors are unable to storm the castle because Neclord's front door will "not permit the uninvited". But we're able to take Hix in with us at the last minute. Was he invited? Did the invitation state"Tir and friends"? Tir could have said "OK, you're all coming in with me and you lot can be a distraction while Viktor takes down Neclord."
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Also with Neclord, if you just go to his castle as soon as you enter the Lorimar region, you can enter just fine. I did it right after the initial scene in the Warriors' Village with Hix and Tengaar. The game took forever to load when I left it, though (I actually thought it froze on me).
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I assume you don't encounter Neclord at the top of the castle if you enter before the story line event to rescue Tengaar. The generals' castles and Soniere prison can't be accessed before their appropriate story line events, so perhaps Neclord doesn't mind random travelers wandering into his castle to be drained of blood or devoured by monsters, and he just set up the barrier to prevent his wedding from being disrupted.

I thought maybe Neclord set the spell up so that initiated warriors from the Warrior's Village could not pass, but then Zorak initiates Hix as a Warrior just before he enters and gives him the right to name his sword. Also you're able to take Flik on the quest as an optional character, so that theory would not work. Unless you count the Ritual that Hix does later on in S2, because Flik never completed that quest either.