Gate Rune Wars

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Gate Rune Wars

Post by Wolkendrache »

Why is it called Gate Rune Wars?
It refers to a civil war between the Liberation Army and the Scarlet Moon Empire. The only time when the two halves of the Gate Rune faced each other was before the final war battle at Gregminster. Other than that, the Gate Rune wasn't very significant. I mean, the Liberation Army was fighting the corruption of the empire, and responsible for the corruption was Windy's cunning and her use of Conquerer runes (which have nothing to do with the Gate Rune afaik). Windy's motivation was to aquire True Runes, and the Soul Eater in particular. There was the Front Gate Rune, the Sovereign Rune, the Blue Moon Rune and the Eightfold Rune on the one faction, and the Back Gate Rune, the Soul Eater, the Night Rune and the Dragon Rune on the other. Why is it not called True Rune Wars? Or regarding the civil resistance aspect, what about Liberation Wars? Ok, Windy was the warmonger, but her warmonging wasn't caused by her rune, so why is it all blamed on the Gate Rune?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Re: Gate Rune Wars

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, Gate Rune Wars isn't very fitting for me. when I first heard that reference being used, I though it meant the time Leknaat mentions about the clan of the Gate being destroyed. And Windy and Leknaat's scheming is kind of going on behind the scenes, I don't think many people in the empire were aware of two sorceresses having a magical conflict while there was open rebellion going on around them. I'm sure the history books would refer to it as the Toran Liberation War or something like that.
Vextor
Global Admin

Re: Gate Rune Wars

Post by Vextor »

In the Genso Suikoden Encyclopedia, Konami's explanation under their entry "Gate Rune War" actually explains some of that.

The general public calls the war as simply the "Liberation War" or the "Toran Liberation War," but from a "wider perspective" the entire war was started and also ended with important contributions by the remnants of the Gate Rune Clan members, Windy and Leknaat. Thus, historians call it the "Gate Rune War"