I'm a little confused about... *SPOILERS FOR S4*

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Rachael

I'm a little confused about... *SPOILERS FOR S4*

Post by Rachael »

Okay, thanks to guides and actually playing the games, I'm able to piece together most of Cray's back story and most of the scenes that take place during the game.

But I'm a little confused about a couple of scenes. First, there's the scene where Cray demonstrates the special rune cannon's power by destroying the city on Iluya. After Troy gets upset that they wiped out an entire island for no (good) reason, Cray says, "We have the king's permission. Isn't that right, governor?" and the governor says, "Yes, that's right." But later, after Troy and Colton leave, the governor asks, "Why did you bring up the king's name?" and Cray says, "Forgive me." What's that supposed to mean? Does that mean they don't have the king's permission? What was the point of that exchange?

Secondly, there's the scene where Colton and Troy are talking, and Colton says, "Be careful about what you say, Sir Troy. You never know who might be listening." Then Troy throws a dagger in Ramada's direction, and Ramada pretends to be scared and run off. Then Colton asks, "Is it all right now?" and then tells Troy about how he's worried about the governor and that he's been missing for days.

But wait--wasn't Colton just saying they had to be careful? Both of them are supposed to be pretty sharp. Did it not occur to them that Ramada might still be listening? Why didn't they at least check to see if the coast was clear? Did Colton want it to get out that the governor was missing? That seems to conflict with his unwavering loyalty to Kooluk. And why did he say those words to Troy instead of just saying outright, "I think someone may be listening in on us"? Wouldn't the presence of one eavesdropper make them more cautious afterward? Not even Troy, idealistic as he is, strikes me as particularly naive. What was going on in that scene?
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Antimatzist

Re: I'm a little confused about... *SPOILERS FOR S4*

Post by Antimatzist »

1. Yes, they don't have the king's permission. I think this is a bit explained in Suikoden Tactics, most people in Kooluk don't seem to know about that war and I think that.. mh. Well, it doesn't actually make a lot of sense. I think it's just the doing of an overly ambitioned governour under the influence of Cray.

2. Haha, you're right. Well, a lot of the scenes in this game lack a bit, and this might be one of them.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I don't know if that was Ramada. I always thought it was some random Kooluk spy. And I took it as Troy could tell there was somebody there and could tell that there was no one else after he left. Colton asked him "is it all right now?" and when Troy did not say no, he figured it was safe to talk and continued.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

It was Ramada, you can tell by his costume.

As for checking more thoroughly that there was nobody spying, you might as well ask why Cray didn't just kill the governor and chop him into little pieces and throw them into the sea to make sure he couldn't warn anybody. :|