Hugo, The Flame Champion

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
FinalLegion

Hugo, The Flame Champion

Post by FinalLegion »

I realize that it is canon that Hugo was the one to become the Flame Champion. My question is... does anyone know if this was decided while the game was being developed OR if it was made canon after S3 was released?
Poison Clan rocks the world.
Antimatzist

Re: Hugo, The Flame Champion

Post by Antimatzist »

It was made "canon" when the manga was written, since it was the idea of its author.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

well, it may have been made canon by the manga, there's a definite encouragement of it in the game. There's a lot of extra scenes and such that Hugo gets as flame champion. Geddoe gets many of them as well, while Chris doesn't get all that much all. To me at least, Hugo was always meant to be the default Flame Champion, whilst Geddoe and Chris were there to provide the player with some diversity. Hugo also has the most to lose in Suikoden 3 of the three of them. Although Chris and Geddoe cared about the conflict, neither of them would really have been effected have as much by not getting involved.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I felt that Hugo was the default FC as well, and that the other two were there for people who were tired of the hero always being a teenage boy. That and the others offered obvious replay value. His story as FC was much more developed than the others'. I agree about Geddoe's being a close second, but it just never made sense to me for him to switch Runes.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Vermillion.Haze

Post by Vermillion.Haze »

It's really the only logical choice canon or not. Geddoe already has the lightning rune before the game starts. Chris inherits the water rune from her father. Hugo has no connection to a true rune previously and his mother is a skilled fire magic user. It makes no sense to "Trade" hugo someone elses rightfull rune just so they could be the flame champion.