Meaning of "Suikoden"

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Hadouken

Meaning of "Suikoden"

Post by Hadouken »

Did anyone else ask themselves this question when they first played the game? Of course, now I know that it is a reference to one of the 4 chinese classic novels which involves 108 outlaws defying the government. But i was a kid when i played this game... and i always thought to myself, WTF is Suikoden? Is it a true rune? The name of the last boss? I even named my main character Suikoden once because I thought it was his real name.

Anybody have similar facepalm-worthy stories?
Antimatzist

Re: Meaning of "Suikoden"

Post by Antimatzist »

I named my heo in Suikoden II (my first one) sometimes Suiko, but never really wondered what it meant... But it's kinda strange that I never wondered. WShen I played Alundra, I always assumed it was the hero's name...
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Suikoden translates into "The Water Margin". The name basically refers to the fact that the headquarters of the 108 bandits was located in the marsh right by the water. Every game so far has kept true to the name by either placing the base right by the water or on it.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

The translate was right but the meaning is deeper. The more you press the higher water level will rise until it spills out. Apply to a picture of a goverment and its people. More corruption/tax, more complaints until people revolt.
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

The direct translation from Japanese to Chinese is Shui Hu Cuan.
It pretty much means a rebellion in the the thick of mist..........
Or something like that!
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!