Main heros are always young . . . . coincidence?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
veriaqa

Re: Main heros are always young . . . . coincidence?

Post by veriaqa »

Jeane is my waifu and sticky-runes got the closest analysis : because the demography of video game's players is young male. The same reason we don't get female protagonist in video games.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
suiken

Post by suiken »

It's not the demographics, I think. It have something to do with the culture. I mean, some japanese mangas and anime share the same element, even in mature oriented titles. Meanwhile in the west coast, we often see more masculine/mature men as protagonist and the general gamers there are teenagers.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Manga and anime were aimed at young boy at first. And when manga and anime start to gain more wide audience, the habit of using young protagonist persist. We could say it has become a culture now.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Well, a lot of entertainment in the West is also aimed at young boys, but still, it does not feature young boys as protagonists. Most times, in the West, the hero is supposed to be older than its fanbase. Apparently, in Japan, the hero must be the same age. They want to imagine themselves capable of being a hero right now, whereas Western kids want to imagine they will grow up into a hero.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

My impression is that most heroes,not only are young boys in their teens...but they're shy as well.

Only Thomas is a little less shy,and Kyril from Suikoden Tactics. In the other games,your main hero is mute most of the times.

Also they're always short and scrawny from what i've seen. For example Tir should be around 5'3" (i put him next to different characters in my HQ,and he's the same height with Viki who is 5'3" according to this chart: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 8&start=15). Thomas is 5'3" as well and Riou must be an inch shorter than Luc (5'5.4") like 5'4".
I have no idea about Lazlo's and Freyjadour's heights but i doubt they're above 5'5".
And all of them have thin arms...remember the comment Gustav made,about your thin arms in Tinto? :P
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Good point - why are they always skinny? If they have to be young and male, then could they not give us a hero with Bolgan or Faylon's build for a change?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Good point - why are they always skinny? If they have to be young and male, then could they not give us a hero with Bolgan or Faylon's build for a change?
Faylon has more fat than muscle basically. Bolgan looks kinda more muscular:

http://suikosource.com/chars/list/image ... har_id=617

http://suikosource.com/chars/list/image ... char_id=63

Btw,is it comfirmed that "16" is REALLY Bolgan's age??? I always thought that they wanted to write 26 instead of 16. It's hard to believe that this guy is only 16 yo....probably he has VERY VERY high testosterone levels. :lol:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Bolgan is a candidate for the Greenhill college mission, so I believe he is still a teenager. And didn't Eilie and Rina take him in because of how poorly he was treated as a circus freak? He probably received a lot of abuse because of his size and soft nature.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Bolgan is a candidate for the Greenhill college mission, so I believe he is still a teenager. And didn't Eilie and Rina take him in because of how poorly he was treated as a circus freak? He probably received a lot of abuse because of his size and soft nature.

Even so i doubt he could pass as a teen.

And it doesn't surprise me that Bolgan was used during Greenhill's arc. You could even use Shiro or Gabocha. WTF,how those 2 could pass as students? :roll:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:
And it doesn't surprise me that Bolgan was used during Greenhill's arc. You could even use Shiro or Gabocha. WTF,how those 2 could pass as students? :roll:
Seems reasonable to allow kobolds and wingers to study at the college.
Shiro can enroll at the college, yet Kinnison is not an available character for that mission. That seems quite weird.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote: Seems reasonable to allow kobolds and wingers to study at the college.
Shiro can enroll at the college, yet Kinnison is not an available character for that mission. That seems quite weird.

Kinnison was 18 by the time. So an adult.

But strangely Hix was 19 yet he was allowed to partiipate. This makes things even more confusing. :?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, they made Hix and Tengaar usable for the Greenhill mission, and they're both 18+. Rina is Tengaar's age, but I assumed Rina would rather sit in the tavern drinking with the adults than hang around school with a bunch of kids.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Yeah, they made Hix and Tengaar usable for the Greenhill mission, and they're both 18+. Rina is Tengaar's age, but I assumed Rina would rather sit in the tavern drinking with the adults than hang around school with a bunch of kids.

Tengaar was 17,not 18.