Suikoden V hairy questions

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Fei Wong

Suikoden V hairy questions

Post by Fei Wong »

Well, i always wanted to know why Sialeeds had the white hair when she obtained the Twilight Rune, was the rune really do something to her? or she just dyed it? it intrigued me always, also in the end why Lyon dies? she was not really that injured to die there isnt? or it was fate like Sialeeds? i havent beated it with the 108 stars yet, but i know she can be revived with leknaat like Gremio, so if someone could explain why she dies in the first place it would be appreciated.
Let our mercy as deep as the Feitas and our authority as powerful as the Sun be revealed to the entire World!!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden V hairy questions

Post by Oppenheimer »

Sialeeds did dye her hair. She has the royal hair colour but dyed it because she was trying to distance herself from her royal roots and any claim to the throne she might have had. She stopped dying it and so it turned back to it's normal colour (of course unrealistically it didn't have time to grow out).

Lyon died due to her previous injury I think. The game isn't super clear on this and it is a somewhat disappointing part of it that they kind of shoe horned in a death just to get a different 108 star ending.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Yeah, I think she dies because of the injuries she received from Dolph during the Queen's campaign. She went back to war a little too early (wasn't 100% healed) and due to her exhausting herself while using the Twilight Rune and Fighting Dolph and the Sun Rune Incarnation, she ended-up dying. That's what I got from it anyway.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Just felt half-assed when she was all fine, cheering and all of a sudden, poof! Dead.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Suikoden V's ending is a cop-out, no denying it. "Oh, we need someone to die so we can resurrect them with the power of the 108 Stars and the Sun Rune even though that has nothing what-so-ever to do with what it symbolizes!". Which is a crying shame on such a good game to have such a poor ending.

Interesting how no one seems to survive bearing the Twilight Rune though.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

I do admit that Lyon's death/resurrection was a bit... far fetched. They could have... I dunno... Make the Sun Rune go postal on Falena, destroying everything.
Or killed Lym.
I dunno.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The other big problem with the ending is having all the Godwins in your happy shiny good ending scene with your parents. They were traitors and murders so why do you need to see them all happy in the after life?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Well I know not everyone agrees with it and I particularly like the ending myself, but I'm pretty sure they are there because they loved Falena. while some had something personal to gain, their true intentions were to make Falena a better place (and everyone had their own opinion of what a better Falena was).

As for the Twilight Rune user deaths, my opinion is that they overused the powers. Prince and our typical heroes slowly unlock abilities as the game progresses, so they are able to handle higher outputs towards the end.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I might buy Marscarl and Gizel, but Alenia and Zahhak are completely out of the blue. Their ideals amount to little beyond being Godwin no.1 fanboy and fangirl and I can't see any circumstances where'd they ever sincerely congratulate the prince. Especially Alenia is completely out of character, she's a bitch throughout the game and there she is hopping and clapping her hands.

They might as well have thrown in Childerich or Guisu for good measure.

At the very least they could have stuck with people that were actually killed by or near the Sun Rune so there'd be a reason for them to appear in it's vision.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I think we all would have been screaming even more if Childerich had been in the scene.

Now I'm probably just grasping at straws, but maybe they were 'enlightened' upon death and found out that the prince was the one who was really doing what was best for Falena. Maybe then they were able to be truly happy for his victory in suppressing the power the Sun rune was about to unleash on the country.

I don't know. I probably agree that it was dumb to have them in there. I'm just trying to make sense of it.
Fei Wong

Post by Fei Wong »

Well, the only ending i got was that the Prince was following Georg to his next location (The game says something like that the Prince and Georg were going to the nort continent, so i tought it was Dunan, where later he meets Riou) that was one of the bad endings i pressume, but i never knew for sure.
Let our mercy as deep as the Feitas and our authority as powerful as the Sun be revealed to the entire World!!
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Yeah, When I saw Alenia and Zahhak, I was wondering just what they were doing there. Alenia was giving the impression that her biggest dream through the game was to kill the prince and at the end she was all happy he won. Like Raww said, waaayyy out of character for her. Gizel and Marscal at lest gave the impression to have somewhat repent just before their death.

And that ending is the "good" ending, but there is the "best" ending with Lym, which (I might be wrong here) I think is the Canon one.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

For me, the problem character in the Sun Rune was Marscal.

I mean, come on--he tried to wipe out entire races. He's like the Hitler of the Suikoden world, yet he's portrayed at the end as only wanting the best for Falena. A "Falena for Falenans" indeed.

Alenia, compared to Marscal, was a rather simple character who was easily swayed by her emotions and manipulated by Gizel. She was definitely on the wrong side, and blinded by her own fanaticism, but hardly a mastermind like Gizel or Marscal.

Anyway, I love mega-happy endings, but I agree that there was a lot in this one that seemed rather...well, cop-out, like Raww said.

I'd just figured that all that exertion re-opened Lyon's old wound, but that wouldn't happen after such a long time...
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Vermillion.Haze

Post by Vermillion.Haze »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:I might buy Marscarl and Gizel, but Alenia and Zahhak are completely out of the blue. Their ideals amount to little beyond being Godwin no.1 fanboy and fangirl and I can't see any circumstances where'd they ever sincerely congratulate the prince. Especially Alenia is completely out of character, she's a bitch throughout the game and there she is hopping and clapping her hands.

They might as well have thrown in Childerich or Guisu for good measure.

At the very least they could have stuck with people that were actually killed by or near the Sun Rune so there'd be a reason for them to appear in it's vision.
Zahhak made more sense then anyone on the enemy side. Like Marscal (Whom recommended him to the queens knights) he is authoritarian, statist. Not to mention he is related to the godwins. He expressed early in the game he believed ferid to be too much of a idealist and Falena would benefit from strengthening ties with the Godwin faction. It made sense to me for Zahhak to remain loyal to his own family and political party, especially with the queen dead. Did anyone really think he would choose a little girl monarch over Marscal? Combine all this with his huge ego and fanatical beliefs and he has no place in the "Rebel Army".

He does appear saluting the prince as a shade during the games ending. I take this as him conceding that while he stayed loyal to the godwins he respects and trusts the prince to protect falena in his place.

And of course Alenia was obviously in love with Gizel. So "Out of the blue" is not the right phrase really. The only flaws in thier characters I saw was they never seem to wake up from thier delusions and died needless deaths (Much like Marscals other generals). Even Gizel and Marscal himself seem to see the flaws in thier logic at the end and tested the princes resolve knowing it's all they could do for falena now.