Surprise Marriage

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
lepant

Surprise Marriage

Post by lepant »

In the ending of Suikoden V Haswer is said to have announced a surprise marriage. Any ideas who the marriage is between????
*Liu*

Re: Surprise Marriage

Post by *Liu* »

hmmm maybe Lyon and the prince??
Sorry for my bad english people....
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Obviously she's announcing her own marriage.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Remember Sialeeds and Haswar promised to never get married and to never have childeren. Despite their differences throughout the story they still kept to that promise. What they mean by suprise marriage is that Lymslia would be getting married again except there wouldnt be any sacred games or anything like that. She would actualy be able to choose who she marries. I'm pretty sure i got it right because I cannot see the prince and Lyon getting together, they're more like bestfriends or the brother sister type of relationship.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

I felt like the relationship between the Hero and Lyon was closer and had the possibility for romance. And I was under the impression that she was announcing Lym's marriage, not her own. Though I don't remember who either of them would marry.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Eroschilles wrote: And I was under the impression that she was announcing Lym's marriage, not her own.
So let me get this straight. After fighting a bloody civil war due to the system of Queens not choosing their husbands and Lym quite clearly declaring that she will choose her own husband in the future in the ending you felt it'd would be perfectly logical and reasonable for Haswar to decide on a husband for Lym and better yet, announce it as a surprise wedding?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Eroschilles wrote: And I was under the impression that she was announcing Lym's marriage, not her own.
So let me get this straight. After fighting a bloody civil war due to the system of Queens not choosing their husbands and Lym quite clearly declaring that she will choose her own husband in the future in the ending you felt it'd would be perfectly logical and reasonable for Haswar to decide on a husband for Lym and better yet, announce it as a surprise wedding?
Who said anything about Haswar choosing a husband for Lym?
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

There are problems with all three royal family members.

1. Lym is going to choose her own husband. So it wouldn't make sense for Haswar to be announcing the marriage. It is possible, but that would be extremely awkward. Plus, if Lym would actually be choosing, we can assume that she's met the guy, spent some time with him, gotten to know him, and possibly dated him or something like that. As the queen, that would be impossible to keep secret, so it really wouldn't be any kind of surprise.

2. As belcoot4 pointed out, Haswar and Sialeeds swore off marriage in order to avoid another succession conflict, which was far bloodier than the civil war in which we fought. It would be hard to imagine her all of the sudden deciding to get married and risk the same thing all over again.

There are a couple of solutions. First, she could get married and simply not have kids. She may even be too old to have kids. She's 39 at the end of the civil war. We don't know when she announces the wedding. We also don't know when women normally go through menopause in the suikoden world. Either way, no kids equals no succession conflict.

The other solution is found in her Gensopedia article. It says "As the war came to a close, Haswar became worried that her family line would die out as Lymsleia and herself were the only female royals remaining." (If anybody thinks this is the case, please provide a quote from Haswar that says this, and also let us know when during the story she says this. I never remember her saying anything like this.) If this is the case, it really doesn't make any sense. Just because there are only two female royals doesn't mean that those are the only two royals who can further the royal line. The prince can still get married, have a daughter, and if Lym dies with no daughter, then the crown passes to the Frey's daughter. There are plenty of times in the history of the world where a king died with no son, and the crown simply passed to a nephew (a sister-son). It seems to me that it wouldn't be worth the risk of death and strife all of the sudden, just because only two out of the three remaining royals are female. However, people and game characters do indeed do irrational things sometimes.

3. It could be Frey. You have a similar problem as you do with Lym concerning Haswar announcing the marriage. It doesn't make sense that Haswar would be announcing the marriage. It's a little more plausible, because it could be kept a secret, especially if he would be marrying Lyon. They've already met and gotten to know each other fairly well. They would simply have to have a romantic relationship as well, which could be done fairly secretly.

--
All in all, neither the prince's wedding nor Lym's would be announced by Haswar. They would announce their own. She's probably announcing her own. Even if she's being illogical by doing it, it's slightly more logical for her to be announcing her own, than either of her cousins' weddings.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

This is from her character page here in Suiksource:

"Haswar returns to Lunas and continues serving as the Oracle, although she was worried about the royal family dying out since the only royal women left were Haswar herself and Lym. So, later after the war, Haswar announces that she is to be wed."

That says it, as it was apparently implied as Haswar's own wedding. I have to agree with Raww here. :D
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

So Haswar is getting married, but to whom?
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Jack of All Trades wrote:So Haswar is getting married, but to whom?
Nobody knows, it isn't announced.
Jack of All Trades

Let me rephrase my statement.

Ahem.

So, Haswar is getting married, but to whom? Lets speculate.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Ah, I should have known that. :lol:

I know who comes first to most minds is Isato but I guess speculation would be too easy! hehe!
And they would look like a horrible couple.

From his page here:
"After the war, Isato returns to Lunas and continues his duties as Haswar's right hand man. He only returns home to Alseid once more in his long lifetime."
Jack of All Trades

If I remember correctly, Isato is the only male other than Frey & Kyle that she interacts with at all. For plot reasons I don't think it could be anybody but him.

However, Gavaya would certainly have her, Euram probably wouldn't say no either.
SolEstor

Post by SolEstor »

I'm going to jump right into the middle of this discussion and put in my probably not so very valid two cents about this too~
Iesous wrote:2. As belcoot4 pointed out, Haswar and Sialeeds swore off marriage in order to avoid another succession conflict, which was far bloodier than the civil war in which we fought. It would be hard to imagine her all of the sudden deciding to get married and risk the same thing all over again.

You know... somehow, when I read that ending statement for Haswar, I couldn't imagine her announcing any marriage but her own. :'D It just seemed... so natural. Maybe because of the very point that belcoot4 and Iesous have pointed out, but with me thinking in an entirely another context? See... to me it seemed like throughout the passage of the story, the point was driven back to the Prince and Lyon time and time again that perhaps if the three sisters hadn't sworn off marriage for the non-successors, if Sialeeds had not called it off with Gizel, perhaps none of this would have come about. I mean, Gizel would have been happily married to her, ne? Without a thought about 'correcting' Falena at all. (And didn't Sialeeds say that too, at some point? Or am I imagining things, with my very bad memory?)

So perhaps, it really is Haswar who's getting married. Perhaps, in one of those moves of undoing all the wrongs of the past, the Prince and Lym decided to revoke the law in the end? :? (And if they did, I'm sure Haswar would have ended up with Isato! :D Predictable, but hey! With the way the guy was stuck to her... XD [And didn't it say he only returned home once, ever, and always stayed by her side?])