True Wind Rune's Vision?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Ancient Cheesecake

Re: True Wind Rune's Vision?

Post by Ancient Cheesecake »

Well according to the Manga... Luc was defective. They screwed up in making him and his heart was intertwined with the rune, which would cause him to eventually be taken over by it and turn into a giant bird monster thing. They stuck him in a prison cell until they could get a suitable replacement host. However, Leknaat came and offered to free him and let him live as a human being, which he accepted. Then she sent him to watch the wars from Suikoden 1 and 2, which caused him great trauma, and the realization that these wars only happened because of the true runes, and that humans were just pawns. Around that time he also experienced his vision of an ashen future. A future determined by the true runes. Leknaat would not answer his questions about the future, so he decided to set out on his own with the help of Yuber, Sarah, and Albert to save the world. Acording to Yuber, the destruction of a single True Rune would be enough, so they set out to destroy Luc's own True Wind Rune by using the ancient Sindaren weapon that the Lizard Clan had been guarding. Their plan in starting the war was to displace the Grasslanders so that they wouldn't all be annihilated by the power of the rune's destruction. He's basically an anime Ozymandias.

Sadly I never got to play the game though, so I don't know how much of that is exclusive to the manga.
Last edited by Ancient Cheesecake on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
No offense intended.

Dumb dumb Moira Brown
Dumbest chick in this whole dumb town

Dumber than old king kong
Uglier than a junk yard dog

I set off a nuke to kill you
But fate was just too damn cruel
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I like that analogy
KarayanWarriorHugo

Post by KarayanWarriorHugo »

I have not been here awhile, but to answer the question with the best of my knowledge: Luc saw the "Ashen Future" and summoned faithful and devoted allies to fulfill his cause(Yuber, Albert Silverburg, Sarah). When he was born in Harmonia, he and his twin brother, Sasarai each bore a True Rune upon birth(by means of birth, they were clones of High Priest Hikusaak and they were created to be vessels of all the 27 True Runes Hikusaak wished to gather for himself). The Harmonians chose Sasarai as the "Chosen One" and threw Luc as the reject; during their youth, Sasarai lived the life of luxury while Luc suffered within the dungeons of the Kingdom of Harmonia. On a fated night, the Blind Priestess Leknaat appeared before Luc and offered him to live a life of a human and thus, Luc took her hand and spent his many days of maturity in Magic Tower, becoming Leknaat's student of sorcery. It was also then when Luc and Leknaat saved Sarah when she was young and took her in as well(Sarah was born with a Flowing Rune during birth, and the denizens of her village feared her for her powers, calling her a witch).

To return to he topic in hand, Luc in many occassions foreseen the Ashen Future where everything is barren and life is nonexistant. He shared his ideals with Hugo but was rejected; Luc wishes to gather five of the True Runes that were present in Suikoden III(Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, and Lightning). He only needed to destroy one of the True Runes to achieve his goals. By destroying one of the True Runes, he would ignite a massive explosion because of colliding and chaotic results of opposite elements. It would repeat the explosion of the First Fire Bringer War. Continued-
Last edited by KarayanWarriorHugo on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is a thing called flow in this world. There is a thing called timing in warfare. If we lose this opportunity, we will never defeat the Empire!" - Mathiu Silverburg
KarayanWarriorHugo

In order to keep casualties to a minimum, Albert Silverburg suggested Luc to ignite a war between the Zexen Federation and the Grasslands so it would force the Grasslands to flee from their Homelands where the Great Sindar Ruins lay dormant and when the process of destroying one of the True Runes begin, it would wipe out the Grasslands.

Luc was trying to save the world by destroying not only one of the True Runes, but sacrificing himself in the process. Though he had good intentions, his betrayal towards Leknaat and his actions resulted in his death alongside his love, Sarah. Leknaat finally forgave Luc for his actions in the end and accepted him as her only son, and she finally gave Luc and Sarah their soul's respite in the end of III.

Albert Silverburg shared some of Luc's ideals, but his intentions were far from the truth - he only wanted to become a greater tactician than Mathiu and Leon Silverburg, and to be more recognized as well. He then travels to distant lands to begin another journey.

Yuber was summoned by Luc through a mysterious method that Leon Silverburg performed, but his mission was only chaos and destruction and to return everything as it once was in nothingness.
"There is a thing called flow in this world. There is a thing called timing in warfare. If we lose this opportunity, we will never defeat the Empire!" - Mathiu Silverburg
KarayanWarriorHugo

^ these were uttered from my voice, but the story is the same and I merely explained a small part of it in summation of my own views. I hope a New Suikoden will dawn soon...
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I agree with all that except about Yuber. Yuber worked with Jowy Atriedes as well as Leon Silverberg during the Dunan Unification War and its only fitting that Yuber would assist a son of Leon, praticulary Albert because his intentions were fueled with greed. I thought from playing the game and reading many explanations that Yuber was summoned to assist Luc as his bodygaurd. Luc says something along the lines when he casts one of his phanthom spells that it has been increasingly difficult to employ the army. From that I take it that he needed Yuber for personal protection to avoid any interference of his personal goals.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
KarayanWarriorHugo

Good Point, Sir Belcoot(Suikoden V) - I did not comprehend Yuber's true intentions until you explained it and now it is more clear to me. So it was to assist Albert because of Leon's summons of Yuber through that particular method you mentioned. How interesting...
FliktorForce5

Post by FliktorForce5 »

The vision of the ashen future was the memory of a former runebearer depicting the outcome that occurred in an alternate reality if I remember correctly. Thus why Jimba's armor was still in Karya village even though the village had been destroyed and his armor would have, at the very least, been displaced to the ground (from the box and wall it was resting on burning down around it). The ashen future isn't the only possible future, just what Luc views as the most possible future, or at least the least desirable future. He's trying to save the world by making that outcome not only unlikely, but impossible. You can't really say that he was the only bearer of the True Wind Rune either he says that he's only had it for 30 years, I mean even if the world is only 1000 years old that still leaves 970 years unaccounted for. Who knows what previous bearers have seen with it? I mean in Suiko 1 you go back in time, who's to say a previous true wind rune bearer didn't visit alternate realities with his buddy who bore the True Fire Rune? These are fantasy games and fun, bizarre stuff like that happens all the time.
As to the intelligence of the true runes, it seems to me that the more copies, or "lesser versions" a rune has the less Ego it has. I'm not sure if that's the right word in this case, but it seems right. I mean you can buy like a million copies of elemental runes like fire, water, or lightning at rune shops all across the world, they’re a dime a dozen. But I’ve never seen a lesser version of the Sun rune for instance, even the dawn and twilight runes were different runes with ties to the Sun rune. Conversely Luc has had his True Wind Rune for 30 years, Geddoe has had his True Lightning Rune for even longer, but they still remain the dominant personality. Arshtat on the other hand has had her Sun rune attached for less than a decade and she gets all “homicidal god complex” whenever you mention the word Lordlake around her. It seems to me like the elemental runes have about the force of personality of a trained animal, you tell it to attack, it’ll attack, you let it off the leash, it runs wild, you tell it to lie down while you euthanize it, and it’ll nuzzle you with it’s little wet nose until it stops breathing. I think that’s why Luc needed the elemental runes specifically, otherwise why would he have ignored the Star Dragon Sword in Le Buque? I mean he knows what it is, he’s encountered it before. Twice. More importantly, it’s a true rune, it comes with it’s own carrying case, and the only thing guarding it is a teenager who obviously shops at Hot Topic. Why doesn’t he blow Edge off the side of the cliff and walk home with a Night Rune? That would certainly upset the balance in a rune on rune fight. But I think it has too much Ego, too much self-awareness, or force of personality, or whatever you want to call it. The Star Dragon Sword does what it wants when it wants and it’s not afraid to tell you when it thinks you’re wrong. Over and over. All day long. You also never see a lesser version of the Night Rune, Zerase’s Star Rune might be one, but that’s neither confirmed or denied as far as I know. Anyhow my theory is that the more lesser versions of a rune there are floating around the less “self-awareness” it really has. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.
Still waiting for that daring piece of fan art with Zahak and Galleon sharing eyeliner in the bathroom...
BlueMage279

Post by BlueMage279 »

I vaguely remember Luc and co. talking about the reason they started the 2nd FB War was to create mass confusion among the region, allowing them to more easily search for the true runes unhindered. So was that the reason? Or am I remembering incorrectly and the real reason was to minimize casualties from the true rune's destruction?
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

Both. Moreover, it was also a way to bring Sasarai and his True Earth Rune in Grasslands.

This 2nd FB War was interesting for Luc in many ways :
- Minimize Grasslands folks casualties,
- Searching True Lightning, Water and Flame bearers,
- Bring True Earth Rune in Grasslands,
- Taking revenge on Hikusaak in destroying a lot of his troops (if Grasslands flee, that means Harmonian Army is in the area),
- Even on this last goal, the Harmonian casualties were "minimized" since Yuber's chaotic minions are the closer to the Sindar Ruins.

The complexity of this strategy (by its many purposes) shows how Albert is a good tactician because all the War idea came from him. But he's a Silverberg after all 8)
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

Uh..........why the long paragraphs???
Oh,and what is with this vision about the TWNDR again???
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

actually the main purpose of the territorial war was to find and secure the ceremonial site, which in the end, they failed to properly secure. the war made it more difficult for them to investigate the True Water and True Fire Rune whereabouts--they misjudged how quickly they could obtain the runes, thanks to the use of the Sindarian rune-sealing techniques for True Fire and True Water.

they had no idea where the True Lightning Rune was, but Geddoe conveniently revealed it during the war.. they probably assumed the TRL bearer was still somewhere around the Grasslands, so that was another use of sparking the conflict. however, if they had spent more time investigating the True Water and True Fire and acquired one or both before starting the war, things would have gone a lot smoother.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

TrueWater00 wrote:Wow....Sovereign i never thought about it that way...because we know that the true runes have the choice to abandon their bearers if they find a new one, so they have some form of conscious thought.
When did a True Rune abandon its bearer? I remember Ted ordering his to leave him (twice). I remember Cray cutting off his arm in order to remove the Rune of Punishment. I remember the True Fire Rune being locked up with its bearer until his death. I remember Genkaku and his friend removing their Runes and SEALING them away.

The only time I ever remember a True Rune leaving someone is when the Blue Moon Rune left Neclord and returned to Sierra. And in this instance, the bond between Neclord and the Blue Moon Rune was incomplete, and the Rune still saw Sierra as master, much as the Life Eater saw Ted as still its master when Tir runs into him and Windy in Seek Valley.

So did I miss this? Because we know the Rune's have sentience, but I was under the understanding that the bearer for the most part dominated the rune, except in instances where they "lost control" (I.e.: Flame Champion losing control during war, or Hero 4 ever using the Punishment Rune).